a good carry pistol for less then $400

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by marlin-owner, Nov 1, 2012.

1. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

okay guys in the unfortunate times we are in i have had to sell all of my guns but the P.O.S bryco that i literaly cant even give away. i want to just chuck it into a pond and let it rust for the rest of its miserable life as a paper weight. i was in a car accident some months ago and i will be able to spare about 400 dollars for a new carry pistol to begin my collection all over again. "my wife said so" what should i look for??? im not familiar with pistols of this price range. anyone got advice??? thanks for reading :)

2. Krisms

Krisms New Member

i would suggest an m&p shield. you can find one for $399. only thing is that you'd have to be patient til the shop gets it in stock.

3. Jtelli71

Jtelli71 New Member

You can get a nano and lc9 for that price range. You can also look into keltec.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I just posted this in another thread;

Ruger LCR hands down!

Get the 38 spl +P model, it's all you need.

Best DA trigger in this genre.

Only 13.5 ozs and < 1 lb loaded!

[​IMG]

Practice with 38 spl target loads and carry with Buffalo Bore, Heavy .38 Special +P Ammo - 158 gr. L.S.W.C.H.P. w/G.C. (1,000fps/M.E. 351 ft.lbs.)

[​IMG]

Best bathing suit carry when a 45 ACP just won't work!

[​IMG]

5. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I hate to advise anyone to buy a Glock. Right now there are a bunch of used glocks with night sights floating around in your price range. Our local Ace Hardware has them for $400 and I see them online in the same price range. The Ruger Canebrake is pointing you towards is a nice shooter. That is a lot coming from me. I hate DA only pistols with a passion.

6. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

Yes, M&P Shield fo sho!

[​IMG]

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Good used S&W.

8. slog

slog New Member

Bersa Thunder ultra compact. Comes in 3 flavors: 9mm, .40 and .45.

[​IMG]

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...hunder+Pro+Ultra+Compact+40+S&W+3.6"+10+1+Syn

I'll note that the finish on Bersa's is uneven and spotty. I have three full sized and they're all like that. The frame is an alloy. Rust resistant. Shoots and performs excellent. Combat sights. Accessory rail. Firing pin safety and decocker. Trigger is super light in single action mode. Has a heavier double action trigger but it's fairly smooth. In double action pull there's one little bump right in the middle of the pull but it smooths out after you shoot it a while. Field strips in less than 5 seconds (just rotate the lever on the frame side, the slide pops off)

I really don't care what it looks like, it does what it needs to do and then some. Make sure you get some snap caps, because non-glocks don't normally like dry firing. Bersa newest generation have heavy duty firing pins to prevent breakage but I still use a snap cap just for peace of mind.

LCR is nice too if you want a revolver.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  9. jfinch2377

jfinch2377 New Member

I know that a lot of people knock them, but I have had zero problems with my Kel-Tec PF9. Here in SE Ohio, they can be found new for $250-$300 depending on the gun shop. Dead on(baseball sized groups) at 7 yards on in(self defense range), and not bad out to 15 yards(all hits in torso). I've fired about 500 rounds through mine and no malfunctions what so ever.

10. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

i dont want to risk kel-tec, everyone was bashing bryco and i got one to find out what the fuss was about. i completely regret it. yall can call me stupid for getting one a year or so ago. now i cant even give it away. i respect all who love there firearms but since my price range is so low i want somewhat name brand, and rep to back it up. used or not. i like the lcr but my body type i am afraid it will fly out of my hands. 357 in a snub nose, i am not comfortable safely firing it. at least i am honest right? heh, m&p shield seems nice, and the bersa i would have to research more on. i dont want a self defense grenade. im just being cautious. i apologize if i have offended anyone. i just want to be %100 that i can defend me and my wife without blowing us up.

11. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

For once I agree with Canebrbroken, although only as a second choice.

The Bersa Thunder can be had for under 300 and is da/sa!!!!

And I'll take your Bryco!

12. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

i don't want to risk keltec, not saying i wouldn't own one just not yet. the lcr is a killer snubby but in 357 i don't trust my hands to hang onto it during fire. im 130 pounds tops at 5 foot 8 inches. and i dont have velcro hands. the m&p looks nice that is an option, and the bersa i want to do more research before i buy. what about police trade ins? are they reliable? the glocks that are trade ins are 350 to 400 which is amazing. Beretta m9's 450 that is breath taking. i have always wanted a glock. but i want to see every option before i buy. i also am trying to get something with a rail for a light when its on the night stand. and i can take it off while i carry. also i saw the rock island 1911 for 350 give or take. but no rail. i feel like im at a dead end on a choice... now i know why it takes so long for females to buy wedding dresses hahaha

13. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I've got a guy I've used for both police tradeins and police confiscated guns.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/

I don't think you'll find a single person who will say a bad thing about Bersa. Very high quality from what I've read everywhere on the internet. I'd highly recommend it over a Glock, better price too.

14. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

is the bersa a gun you can walk in and then out in 30 mins with it in hand? what im trying to ask is is it widely in stock? i am very impatient when it comes to guns. 30 min wait for the FBI phone call is too long

15. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

how does the bersa thunder 380 auto do? is it worth it? reliable? the round isnt i big problem. if i was in a self defense situation i would aim high

16. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I don't own one, so all I can do is relay what I've read. I'd do some quick research online. Check Buds reviews section. If anything bad is going to be said about a gun it will be found there.

17. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

A ruger P95 might work for you if you are comfortable carrying a 1911. The P95 is smaller than the officers 1911. It has a rail and you will have enough money left to get a 100 pack of WWB and an ebay light.

18. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

wow wow we wow... i think im in love! the ruger p95 is freaking awesome looking. 9mm shooting is what 90% of my pistol experience is on. i already have 100 or so 9mm rounds put away from before i sold all my other guns. how well does she function? whats the range on it? anyone who can tell me anything about the ruger p95 will be greatly appreciated! ill be doing research as well

19. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

The p95 I've read is superb. Not sure about price but I like the SR9C better. It has two mags, one high capacity for range practice and one compact for concealed carry.

20. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

I've thrown this out in a couple similar threads, but the P250 is a great sub-$400 gun.