A good 45

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by bungiex8e8, Sep 7, 2011.

1. bungiex8e8

bungiex8e8 New Member

I'm looking for a protection pistol in 45 I'm looking at spending around 500. AnY suggestions... I need something that's reliable and accurate. Was going to buy a Kimber but I can't see spending 950 on a pistol right now.

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

You mentioned a Kimber, are you looking for a 1911 or are you open to alternatives? $500 will buy a decent entry level 1911 but will go a bit further with a Glock, SA XD or S&W M&P.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  4. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I must respectfully disagree with Cane. If the pistol is for defense, waiting to save and extra 5 bills may not be an option. While a quality 1911 is IMHO the finest shooting implement ever devised, it's would not be my choice given your price range.

Check out Springfield Armory's XD and XD-m line of pistols. For the money, I don't think you'll find a more accurate or reliable handgun.

TACK

5. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Oops, guess I didn't really disagree with Cane after all...

Note to self: readthewholepost readthewholepost readthewholepost...:)

TAck

6. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Are you looking for something to carry, something for the truck, nightstand? This could be a factor on what some people will recommend, but so far all the pistols recommended are solid firearms.

-Fred

7. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

For your price range I'd recommend a Glock, Springfield XD, Springfield XDm, or if you're willing to save a hundred or two more you could get a Springfield 1911A1 Mil Spec or GI. You need to go to some local gunshops and look at the various options available, and choose what feels the best to you.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Take a look at the Smith & Wesson M&P series pistols as well.

9. bungiex8e8

bungiex8e8 New Member

i would really like a 1911 now my sisters bf told me he would sell one of his kimbers to me in my price range. A kimber stainless custom 2 for 650 and not alot of rounds out of it yet. Which i think is a pretty good deal considering he paid 880 for it. Its going to be a gun where it will be by my side everywhere i go. I was going to save and buy a kimber crimson but i would like to get a green laser and not red but i dont think they make a grip laser in green just yet not to mention there around $950. would you buy a kimber stainless custom 2 for 650 for a protection pistol. i know its not the smallest pistol but its not to big either.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I was going to recommend a used one. You can find out the history (if there were any problems), and if there were upgrades done that the previous owner may have made.

11. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

It is highly likely I would especially if is one individual to another, as you describe.

12. MrKANE

MrKANE New Member

x2 I would seriously consider an M&P 45 or XDm 45

The M&Pc 45 (compact) still caries 8 rounds so it would fit well in a night stand and still have capacity to shoot something in the dark :D.

I know I only have a few post on here so let me say this in the most respectful way... I think 1911 are great for what they are but the design of semi-auto pistols has come a long way, so I would be very careful buying a mediocre 1911. The high end ones are nice and fun to shoot though. Plus they got 22lr conversion kits out now that let you practice with out breaking the bank.

Just an opinion I never owned a 1911 and I have had trouble with my M&P 40 so take that for what it's worth...

13. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

An XD-45 ($500) is a very good 45acp. The same applies to similar polymers (Glock, SW M&P, FN)

A Sig P220 ($700-900) is a gooder 45acp.

A nice 1911 ($700 - a whole bunch more than 700) is probably the goodest 45acp.

And if you want a high functioning 45acp on the cheap? Look into Bersa. Haven't shot one myself, but I hear a lot of really good things.

14. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

bungie, if you are already going down the path of 1911, I'm sure not going to stop you. A government size 5" (Kimber = "Custom") is a pretty large beast, though, for carrying every day. They are perfect for throwing baby-size projectiles very accurately downrange very quickly, and some 'round these parts even carry them. It may feel really fun at first, but carrying a full-size 1911 is not for the faint of heart. And you won't know how it fits for you until after carrying it for awhile.

At least there's this, almost every holster you buy for your Kimber, you'll be able to use for all future 1911's you buy. (And you will buy many more in your life, FO' SHO'!)

15. SgtSam

SgtSam New Member

I've got one of the new Remington R1 1911s. It's a nice gun and you can find them pretty easy under $600 new. I paid just over $560.00 OTD for mine about 8 months ago. It doesn't have a lot of the "necessary" bells and whistles that a lot of people just "must" have. However, it's reliable, goes bang every time I squeeze the trigger. Haven't had any FTF's, FTEs, Stovepipes, FTC's since I bought it.

I did a thorough cleaning and proper oiling on it when I brought it home. I've put about 600 to 700 rounds through it since then. Knock on wood, but I've had no issues.

I'm giving it to a my favorite local gunsmith this week end to get things slicked up a little and some night sights installed. He wants to change the trigger, but I'm not sure. It doesn't have beaver-tail grip safety, but it doesn't bite me so I don't see any reason to put one on it. It doesn't have the extended thumb safety, but I have no issues with the one it has. My thumb fully engages it. It's blue, but, I don't mind blue guns. I'm not carrying this one anyway, it's my nightstand go to.

Just thought I'd bring this one up as no one else has. :D

16. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Sig P220 carry is a good choice, it has accuracy, reliability, but a little more than $500.00. You could get a certified used one for about $650 or a new one between $700-$900, but it has very little break in required. Mine was bought mine new and has been one of the best 45s I've ever owned or shot. At 25 yards it can put a box of ammo in a softball size group, for a compact it impressed me.

If you're thinking 1911, my suggestion would be

17. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

SA or Colt

18. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

8e8,

For the $500 figure I would say a Glock or Springfield XD in 45 ACP is your best choices!

19. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I second sniper's recommendation.

20. bungiex8e8

bungiex8e8 New Member

bought one. Kimber compact stainless 2. Love it