A few questions

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by DocWard, Dec 6, 2010.

1. DocWard

DocWard New Member

I have owned a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle for a number of years (at least fifteen, if memory serves), although I haven't put a lot of rounds through it--due more to me being busy with life and unable to do much shooting of any kind than anything else. I pulled it out of the safe after going shooting with my daughter yesterday and glanced at it. I believe it is a 195 series serial number. It is stainless, with the curved metal butt plate. So, now the questions:

Is there an aftermarket wooden stock made for it that has a better butt plate/recoil pad than the original? I have looked and have found laminated, synthetic and the like, but nothing resembling the traditional wooden stocks.

Second, I have never had any real complaints about the accuracy, but then again, I haven't done a lot of shooting with it. What can or should be done to help in that regard. I have seen the advertisement for the Mo-Rod, and for the price, that seems like a reasonable option.

Finally, I have some of the Thermold polymer magazines from way back when I first purchased it. They didn't give me any real troubles when I shot it, but what is the scoop on them? I have heard from "bad" to "OK" about them, but nothing really "good." I don't see much in the way of metal 30 rounders, it looks like 20 rounds is the most common, unless you really want to pay for them, which I would prefer to avoid.

Any ideas, thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Thermold Mini mags always worked fine for me.

Have you considered one of the rubber butt pad extensions that lengthen the pull on old Mini's and 10/22's?

3. DocWard

DocWard New Member

I was unaware of the extensions. How do they look on the Mini?

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I think Choate made them originally. There is probably one out in my "box o' stocks" in the garage. If I can't find a pic on Google I'll see if there is one out there and click a pic for ya.

It is just a 1" rubber extension.

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

6. DocWard

DocWard New Member

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The ones that Choate offered were rubber, but they were intended to lengthen the stock and not really a recoil pad. The rifles they go on are not "kickers".

8. DocWard

DocWard New Member

That is a good point, the Mini doesn't have much kick. Given the cost, I might just give one a try, although I may still be on the look for another stock. I forget where I spotted it, but I saw one on a forum that had a strong resemblance to an actual M-14, just smaller. I loved the look of it.

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Hogue makes their "Overmolded" stock for the Mini. I have one and love it.

Do you need wood?

10. DocWard

DocWard New Member

I have actually considered one of those, and may end up going that route. The only real reason for not doing so would be the fact that I simply like the look of wood. I realize the overmolded stock would probably be much more durable in the long run.

11. DocWard

DocWard New Member

Will the Hogue Overmolded stock work with the Mo-Rod barrel stabilizer? I have to say, I love the looks of some of the Minis on the Mo-Rod page.

12. oneshot

oneshot New Member

Doc

Hey I don't blame you. The look of the wood stock makes the mini look great. When I look at mine I start to think of the hunting trips my Granpaw would take me on. Don't get me started thinking about the smell of hopppes #9. I think everyone has good memories of that smell.

Good luck in your search and I hope you find exactly what your looking for.

13. DocWard

DocWard New Member

Sounds like you need this:

Hoppe's 9 - No. 9 Air Freshener

I know I would give it a try if I didn't think Mrs. Doc would toss it out.

Yes, there is something about a wooden stock that I prefer. The looks, the memories, you name it. I have considered one of the laminate stocks, but I am strongly considering the Hogue based on recommendations and reviews.

14. oneshot

oneshot New Member

Doc

#9 air freshner you might be on to something.
    The only promblem will be that one guy who loves the smell of napalm in the morning.

I was looking online for a wood stock for you but I did not have much luck.
    I was thinking though ( I know my wife warns me about doing that) if everyone is going with a synthetic stock there should be abunch of wooden ones laying around somewhere.

15. DocWard

DocWard New Member

That guy will have to fend for himself and be creative. And probably not light matches around the house.

My guess is that the wooden ones would be similar to the one I already have. Even the later ones are still a bit on the short side. Thanks for the help though!

16. KMO

KMO New Member

The answer is yes. The Mo-Rod is compatible with Mini's equipped with the Hogue stock. In fact, I am not aware of any stocks that would interfere with the installation of a Mo-Rod Barrel Stabilizer.

Incidentally, the factory Tactical pictured at the lower right on www.Mo-Rod.com has a Hogue overmolded stock on it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  17. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Stocky Stocks has a real nice wooden one for the Mini-14 callled the "Explorer" that comes in a variety of nice colors. I have several of their laminated stocks and they are awesome. Perfect drop-in fit every time. Fantastic people to deal with too!

Explorer Ruger Mini 14 / 30 Lightweight Classic Stock

18. DocWard

DocWard New Member

Oh great.... Just when I thought I had made a decision...

Thanks for the all of the info, though.

19. oneshot

oneshot New Member

Doc,

If you would like go ahead and order the woodland camo. stock for me and I'll tell you if it looks good on a mini or not (the sacrafices I will make for you guys:):):))

20. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Here's a couple of pic's of the two I got from Stocky's in the woodland camo version. The finish is smooth as satin, yet extremely durable and waterproof.

Attached Files: