A few questions for CCW

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by PrimePorkchop, Dec 25, 2012.

1. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

I've read up a lot, especially since the decision in Illinois making CCW ban Unconstitutional, and have narrowed it down to a few choices for me and my wife.

However, Ive never had the experience of carrying concealed and i'm sure there are several factors that go into it other than "what model do you WANT?"

I see lots of people (even on FTF, there's a huge thread about which gun do you carry) but I see very few people talk about what do they use to carry it with (holster)

For me, I am constantly on the move, on the sales floor at a few different stores, walking around our business sector, and so I want something that's not going to rub, protrude from clothing, or risk being detected (I work with a lot of liberal minded people...I'm sure they'd know I'll probably be carrying, but i'll never actually tell them unless the need were ever to arise)

So i'm looking at some options with that in mind.

My best friend is a LEO, and off duty, he pocket carries a little sub compact .380

A lot of what i've read (and im not saying I disagree or agree, just have read) says that .380 is too small for CCW? :confused:

Any opinions there?

Preferably, I'd like a 9mm, since I have a few other handguns that could fire it, and share ammo (plus I like stock piling, so buying in bulk is easier when buying fewer types of rounds)

What do you all carry and more importantly HOW do you carry it? Does it ever get in the way? Do you think it would rub/chafe/be easily detected in bulging clothing?

Any discussion would be most appreciated

2. 1911Shooter

1911Shooter New Member

If you want to stay with 9mm and pocket carry appeals to you, check out the kahr cm9. Nice little weapon that's very reliable and not too expensive.

3. 2ndfan

2ndfan New Member

I've carried for over 30 years and there is no "right" answer to your question. I have carried everything from a full size 9mm, or a 4" Python, to a Colt Mustang .380. I currently carry a Kimber 1911 3" or a Ruger LC9. The Kimber in cooler weather, mostly with a belt holster that holds the gun very close to my side. The LC9 with an IWH which I can conceal with a t-shirt.

4. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

For me, my wife is willing that we get a new firearm just for CCW - but I wont be able to try out several :D

I have several, but none fit, IMO, for CONCEALED carry. Even if Illinois goes OPEN carry, when im at work, it has to be completely hidden and comfortable

I *REALLY* like the idea of a 4" 1911, but not sure how i'd carry it, obviously can't do it in the pocket, and my "dress attire" requires a shirt being tucked in, so a belt accessory is out (at least at work)

5. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

So far I only have a full size Beretta 40 and a large frame 357, a cc gun is my next purchase. I just got my wife a J frame DA only 38 for Xmas, it was her gun of choice for size, feel, etc. I haven't decided yet which way to go, small auto or 5 shot revolver but I am leaning toward the auto. So far I have looked at the M&P Shield as well as the M&P40c, I prefered the Shield's ergo and it is a single stack so it is thin, this I believe is the biggest advantage to keeping well concealed, the revolver cylinder and the double stack mag ad thickness and increased chance of the gun being noticed. Though obviously the single stack is going to sacrifice rounds for concealability, another one I am considering is the Taurus slimline, it comes in 9 or 40 with the same size frame and it can shoot without the mag being inserted which is another feature I like, my buddy has one of these and swears by it, it's also economical. Some guns like the Ruger LC9 have to have the mag inserted which usually isn't going to be a problem but I see it as an unnecessary safety feature.

6. Colby

Colby New Member

I have Smith Airweight .38, Ruger LCP .380, Ruger LCR .38, and Ruger LC9 9mm for my conceal collection. I have others that I consider not concealable - 357 Colt, N frame Smith, Colt 1911.

In my search for what works for me - my nearly always choice is the LCP .380. It is due to size and concealability. What works very well for me is a leather back pocket holster for the LCP - by Stoner Holsters. It goes everywhere - including dress and semi-dress close contact social settings. I have occasionally carried it in a small Uncle Mikes holster in my front pocket - works very well.

I have carried the Smith .38 some - but it is usually carried in bulkier clothing - jackets or loose baggy outdoors pants - in a Big Mike's front pocket holster.

The LCR .38 is new to me - and I have not carried it yet. It is an easier shooting gun at the range than the Smith (both .38's), but it's grip (which makes recoil more tolerable for repeated range shooting) - also makes it a little larger and a little harder to conceal.

The LC9 9mm, though I have a couple of excellent holsters (inside and outside waistband - both From Stoner), I have never carried it - because it is larger - more uncomfortable. Love to shot it at the range, though - softest recoil of any of my conceal guns - but it is just larger. If I were determined to carry 9mm, the LC9 in the leather Stoner IWB holster would be the way to go. It is virtually undetectable. But it is larger and more uncomfortable - so I always grab the LCP .380...

The LCP .380 -- I don't even notice I have most of the time.
    I believe it is the gun I WILL carry that is the best gun for me - caliber considerations aside.
    Better to have a gun - than no gun - for me...other people's thinking may vary.

This has been the results of my search for ccw for me - lots of guns ... lots of holster combinations tried.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  7. mt232

mt232 New Member

For a holster I would check out Crossbreedholsters.com. Mine is great and conceals very well.

8. Donn

Donn Active Member

My EDC's either a Bodyguard .38spl+p revolver or an M&P Shield 9mm. I'd recommend the Shield, but they're hard to find.

9. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

I pocket carry a Kel Tec PF9 everyday. Its super light weight, 7+1, 9mm and they're +P capable. Mine is the mid priced parkerized finish black on black and it was $278 out the door.

10. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

You might look at the XDs in 45ACP. Plenty of firepower and a thin frame. Get the grip extension for your pinkie finger.

There's a couple threads about holsters with a lot of good advice.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/...ing-full-size-service-pistol-concealed-76081/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/found-my-perfect-carry-method-77300/

In Oklahoma, they've passed open carry. I found that I prefer open carry (a lot more comfortable). But sometimes I carry concealed and tucked in (going to church). I use an Old Fashioned Holster (IWB, tuckable) that's pretty similar to the CrossBreed SuperTuck. It spreads the weight out which is good if you're on your feet a lot. But it's not too comfortable when sitting down or driving. Also, I have to lock my gun up when at work (company policy, not allowed in the building). Taking the IWB holster off in the car is physically difficult, especially now in cold weather with layers of clothing. A paddle holster OWB makes that a lot easier. I tried leaving the IWB holster on, tucked in, but empty. Still wasn't very comfortable (I sit down a lot.)

Anyway, congratulations on the court decision. What is the deadline date? It was 180 days from some day in early December, I think, but don't know the actual date.

11. vincent

vincent New Member

PPC-Think about an ankle rig...

I carry my LCR on the ankle and no one is any the wiser, I even forget it's there myself sometimes...

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

For single action semi-auto, the Sig p938. It's a pocketable 1911, and nothing beats a 1911.

Personally, while I'd rather have the 9mm bang, I wouldn't at all feel undergunned with a 380. For that the Sig p238.

If you're into double action then I have no suggestions, I keep away from them like the plague.

In general, I go without holster pocket carry. A holster isn't a bad idea, but, overall, I find them worthless. My gun doesn't move around or switch angle and there's nothing else in my pockets to snag trigger or plug barrel.

Don't fall for any overthetop, frantic BS about lint obstruction, it's frickin LINT, just soft cloth and in minimal amounts in unseen and out of the way crevices that couldn't plug a stir straw.

13. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

The issue isn't a piece of lint blocking the barrel. A piece of lint working its way into the inner workings of the gun can cause a jam at an inconvenient time. I've seen several examples of guns jamming simply from insufficient lubrication. Lint + lube = gunk that can create lots of problems in the action.

The holster limits the pathways for lint to enter the gun. The holster also protects the trigger guard area from accidental entry by an external influence. The edge of a desk, a tool on a workbench, a nervous finger during draw or during a pickpocket attempt, ... I'm sure there are hundreds more examples of things that the holster would protect you from.

Non-holster is certainly your decision, not trying to say non-holster has to be wrong. Just suggesting some other things to think about.

14. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

I am comfortable with my IWB leather holster carrying a full size Beretta 96. with the right clips on the holster, I can tuck in my shirt. I can wear my rig around the house, and even while doing dishes (bending over to load/unload dishasher) bending over to load firewood into the stove, and recently, bending over and digging gifts out from under the christmas tree, nobody ever noticed I was carrying. My mom finally noticed, when we got into a discussion about my shirt and what it said on the back. as I was sitting up off the couch to stand up, I went to pull my shirt out and down to flatten the shirt so they could read the back, and she got a momentary glimpse of my weapon because she was already focused on my the back of my shirt. she commented on it then! ("YOU DON'T NEED THAT IN HERE!!!") but by then, we had already been over there visiting with them for 36 hours!

I almost said "I'm visiting with family, why WOULDN'T I be armed?" haha, but I just pointed out that I have it with me whenever I leave the house, and rather than leave it on top of a desk/dresser in an unattended room (no gun safe in their house, the only gun they have is a 70 year old single shot .22 with the bolt removed and stored in a different location) I felt it was safer to keep it on my person, in my control.

Search in the CCW section on here, I've posted pictures of my rig twice in the last week or so, in 2 different threads...if you want to see pictures of it you can find them. I'm not going to photobomb the forum with my pictures in every thread:p

15. jammer

jammer Member Supporter

Just got a new Ruger SR9C 9mm and a MaxTuck hybrid IWB holster from White Hat Holsters in Texas. This is so great! I've been wearing it for 5 days and sometimes I don't even know I have it on. I'm sitting right now and it feels kinda like my iPhone case. That little gun shoots like a dream. I ran 200 rds through it after I bought it and I'm impressed. It will also handle +P. Was on sale for $399 and comes with a 10 rd mag. and a 17 rd mag, which will fit the SR9 and vice virtue. Both holster and gun made in U.S.A.!

16. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

You do have a point, for such a rare case.

I have no pocket lint ever, so it's hard for me to see anyone else having it unless they work and/or play in environments such as wood or metal where shavings fly through the air and can permeate the pocket threshold. But for the average Joe, as long as he does his due diligence and keeps dryer filter and vent clean, this should be a non-issue. Wash and dry them insideout and problem solved, should do this anyway to maintain color and quality longer.

As for trigger guards, I fully support holsters when it comes to these DAO/strikers that have no manual safety, which I don't support caring at all, but for me, single action condition 2, its truly useless.

17. karateguy28

karateguy28 New Member

if you're looking for comfort as well as concealability, a n82 tactical holster is the way to go. i carry my Shield 9mm in the professional model. quick story, i once set up my carry rig to carry around the house and see what the holster/shield felt like together. i sat at my computer for 10 minutes and then got up to check somethig with my Shield and actually went LOOKING for it for about 5 minutes before I remembered i had it on me the entire time! Yes, it's that comfortable. well priced, great customer service, great quality, made in USA, etc. All great reason on why i would look into the n82 tactical holster.

18. NAzHunter

NAzHunter New Member

I've had a CCW since '95 and for the 1st few years, carried full size semi-autos on my hip (not often though). However, the last few years, I've carried an XD(m) 9mm, Kimber Ultra Carry, Airweight .38+P and just picked up an LCR Crimson .38+P. I carry all of them in horizontal small-of-the-back holsters. I'm used to it and it is a comfortable way for me carry.