A few of my favorite pistols

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by JonM, Jan 7, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

i shot more than pictured but i put multiple groups into the same targets i took these pics for clarity. all shots are 7-10 yards

First up my bersa thunder plus 380. since there is interested in these little guns i did three different things with it each group is 15+1 with UMC 95grn fmj.

first shot DA 15 SA

[​IMG]

16 DAO

[​IMG]

15+1 starting DAO rapid fire

[​IMG]

next is my most prized 1911. i only take her out occasionally. she is an ithaca 1911A1 made in 1944 and always turns in the best groups of all my pistols. this particular 8 shot 7+1 group at 7 yards fits inside the trigger guard. its been shot so much the barrel is nearly a smooth bore.

[​IMG]

continued...

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

my springfield 1911A1

[​IMG]

my new colt series 70 1911. i had this on order for nearly 5 months before it finally showed up.

[​IMG]

the little but effective colt new agent. i realllllly like this little shooter

[​IMG]

im not very good with revolvers and i dont take the python out much it can shoot faaar better than this. revolver folks ive let shoot have turned in groups less tha half inch at 10 yards with it. but this is the best i can do.
    i just dont spend a lot of tme shooting revolvers.

[​IMG]

3. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Nice collection. I like the Ithaca and Agent. Python's the beast. Good shooting.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Nice M1911A1 Ithaca, but then I'm biased.

[​IMG]

5. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

Very nice bro.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Nice handguns, good shooting. :cool:

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

i really like yours but i got thing for ithaca 1911s. i been thinking about replacing the trigger group internals and bagging the original parts in the back of the safe. give it a better trigger pull with a drop in kit and see what she'll do.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Mine is an Ithaca.

[​IMG]

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

your ithaca is in better shape than mine. im jealous. do you shoot it any?? when was it made??

10. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Nice shooting. I am thinking about getting a colt new agent. How is the recoil? Did it shoot good right out of the case or was there some break in time? Thank you for your help. Ed

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

normally small frame pistols are difficult to shoot. for some reason the recoil and controllability in the new agent/defender design is on par with the full size 1911s. i actually find it a bit faster for follow ups than my series 70 colt. but i think that is more due to the fast trench sight it s a more instinctive shooting style with those sights.

shot great right out of the box. colt's claim is if their guns have problems out of the box and require a "break-in" period there is something wrong with the gun and should be sent back for service. ive got about 400 rounds through the new agent atm and no failures at all.

there is some adjustment to the sight style as it is radically different than traditional style and is actually a throwback to the early colt revolver days. if you dont like the trench system the defender line is the exact same gun with traditional sights.

my new agent will feed empty shell casings from the magazine. ive about 6 different brands of hp ammo with no failures. the mags it comes with hold 7 and will not work with a fullsize frame but the new agent and defender work just fine with the mags from a full size 1911. so you dont need to be a bunch of specialized mags for it. just use the ones it came with and use regular less pricey mags for extra when ccwing.

the only downside is the recoil spring needs to be changed every 500 rounds or so according to colt to make the gun reliable with extended use. so its not a gun your gonna want to run 20,000 rounds through in a year. when i go to the range i take it and shoot 100 rounds each trip to keep my hand in.

i highly recomend the new agent/defender 1911's.

12. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Thanks JonM for your help and info. Deciding on a 1911 is hard to do with so many out there. Have a good weekend!!!

13. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

that was some nice shooting. rather shoot next to you than some of the people i see at the range.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks :) i like letting people shoot my guns i rarely get to see them in action other than from the back. most people i run into here in wis got glocks or xd or run of the mill deer rifles. most cant shoot worth a damn. ive had holes apear in my targets from guys 3 or 4 bays down...