A few observations and requests

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by PrimePorkchop, Aug 16, 2012.

1. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

Not complaining at all, just a few things i have noticed w/ the website and the iphone app...also a few things I think would be cool =)

iPhone app

If you try to move "too fast" it crashes. A lot. For example, if I accidentally click on the wrong link, and hit "back" too soon, before the page has had a chance to load, then it'll crash on me and I have to fire it back up

You can't "Like" posts on the app. Would love to see this option added.

Website

The "unsubscribe from thread" doesn't seem to work...unless I'm just thinking its supposed to do something other than what it was designed to do. Sometimes, a thread will go off topic, or i'll lose interest in it, and i'd rather it not appear in the "my replies" section, so I try to "unsubscribe" but it still shows updates in the "my replies"

Would like to see an "ignore" feature. I realize it's probably better to just intentionally ignore someone who may be under your skin, or following you from post to post, but to have an ignore user option would, in my opinion, eliminate some forum non sense, especially in the "politics" section...

Chat room. Yes, I know, this is "sooooo 1999" but Chat Rooms can be very useful on boring nights like tonight =)

"Save Draft" would be nice...it's not greatly needed, but I've found myself in need of it when I walk away to get a drink, while making a post, and my wife comes along to check her email...destroying everything I had worked on :rolleyes:

Member review system. Gives us the option to create a little "review" that we can give star ratings, embedded into a database that is searchable by visitors...The same could be accomplished via a post, I agree, but posts can be very hard to search some times =) and having a separate section for reviews in an ergonomic design would, in my opinion, help out a lot

Other stuff

Additional "gifts" for prolonged subscription renewals...I love the car stickers, but I only have need for two =) (How about a bumper sticker...or a pen, lol) I hope I don't sound ungrateful, I just want my FTF gear to show off =)

edit to add: For all problems, I am using

Firefox 14.0.1
    Google Chrome 21.0.1180.79
    Windows 7 Ultimate

for mobile I have an iPhone 4s using the official app

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  2. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

If you have replied it will always show up in my replies. Unsubscribing cannot change that.

Chat rooms have been discussed in the past. I do not like them for many reasons. They are difficult to moderate and do not provide instruction for issues that can be found later.

Here is a link to the ignore feature.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/profile.php?do=ignorelist

I'm thinking the like system is a member system that shows appreciation.

I'll have to look into other options for items. I'm sure I can come up with something.

As for the app, have you tried uninstalling then re-installing?

I'm finding that fixes it 90% of the time.

3. vincent

vincent New Member

I have a question...not worth starting a whole new thread but...

Even though for as long as I can remember, I've stayed logged in so when I come to FTF from somewhere else I can hit the ground running. The last few days, it automatically logs me off so I have to 'sign in' every single time, even though I've clicked the 'remember me' feature. What's the deal with that?

A minor inconvienence at most but thought I'd mention it...

4. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

What are you using? Pc... Phone? What kind of browser etc.. Sounds like a cookie issue to me

5. vincent

vincent New Member

PC...No clue as to what kind of browser...:confused: :eek:

6. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

I would assume internet explorer?

7. vincent

vincent New Member

Yes, that sounds right...keep in mind, you're dealing with a chroniclally technically challenged individual here...:D

8. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

Not a problem at all. Internet Explorer comes standard on all Windows PCs, so if you haven't intentionally went out and downloaded a different one, then you're definitely using Internet Explorer...and that is 1/2 of the problem =)

Internet Explorer is, for lack of a better phrase, total garbage. It truly is. I design web pages "on the side" for a lot of local businesses where I live, and I can tell you one universal truth, I hate IE with a passion, it just doesn't "Play well" with others.

If you're willing to try something different and better, download Mozilla Firefox. It runs faster, takes up less resources, and is 10 times better.

You can download it here. You'll still have Internet Explorer, this will just be another "option" you can use, and you should see your problems go away if you do decide to use it.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

If you don't want to use it, or don't think you will, then we have a few more questions to go through to identify what it is in Internet Explorer that is causing the issue.

The first step would be to identify what version of IE you are using. With your browser up, hold down your "alt" key and hit the H key

You'll see a menu drop down

On that menu scroll down to where it says "About Internet Explorer"

And it will give you the version number there. For example, my version number is

The most important part is where it says "Windows Internet Explorer 9" or if you're running 8, it'll say 8, etc.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  9. vincent

vincent New Member

Hey, thanks a lot PPC, I'm going to download the Firefox and see if that helps.

You've been most helpful, thanks again!!! :cool:

10. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 Active Member

hmm the chat room idea does sound kinda fun for boring nights. maybe it could be a supporting members only thing?

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I'm not sure it's a good idea. I think waaay back a long time ago there was a chat room and it caused a TON of trouble. It can't be moderated 24/7 and when things get out of control in there, it can get really, REALLY bad.

It's up to Notdku, though.

12. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 Active Member

i understand that.

13. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker Well-Known Member

On a forum I used to go to a long time ago, they had a chat room night set up, and it seemed to work out just fine. They would have it set to only work on a certain night, at a certain time.
    You could also set it up for SMs only. That may take a lot of the need for moderation out of it, and make drive by trolling almost impossible.

Just an idea. :)

(oops, I just realized that jjfuller had already suggested the SM thing. :eek:)