A few Military Blades

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by M14sRock, Jan 30, 2011.

1. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

A very nice 1905 Bayonet with not so nice, but original leather scabbard. The bayo is much nicer than this pic shows and is as close to mint as I've seen. Below that is a "Medical Bolo". A WW1 issued knife for clearing brush to construct field hospitals. Later surplussed off to the Forrest Service for the same use.

[​IMG]

A few of my favorite Ka-Bar/Mk2 knives.

On the left is an unissued Mk2. But when it was delivered to me a few years ago, the Seller shipped it in the scabbard so it has a slight drag mark. Jeez.

In the middle is what is known as a "UDT". Early in the Vietnam war the UDT divers requested a knife that did not rust due to salt water exposure in harbors and estuaries. The Navy had a batch of Ka-Bar and Mk2 knives sent back to Camillus to be chrome plated and have a water proof leather washer handle installed. This is one done at the factory and exhibits the "bright" chrome finish. Some knives done were new, and some were refurbished.

Next is a Mk2 knife done "in theater". The Navy eventually decided to have knives chromed in country to save time. These knives were not disassembled prior to chroming. The chrome is "flatter" finished, and the the leather handles were not sealed prior to the chroming. The handles have a distinct look and feel to them. It has the theater modded scabbard. Nylon webbing rivetted to the scabbard and the word "Mermaid" etched into the fiberglass. Leg straps added, too.

The bottom two are a couple of my Cold Steel knives on which I replaced the handles. Rubber removed and replaced with Micarta.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. If so, I have hundreds more that can be dug out and posted. These pics were on my camera.

[​IMG]

2. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

Nice bunch of steel Rock. But, when it comes to you,I would expect any less,oh and I hate you.:p

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Nice collection Rock.

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Thanks, Gang.

At the old house I had every inch of wall space in my gun room covered with blades, shields, and other cool militaria. I gave away a bunch of it when we moved, and the rest is wrapped up in big rubbermaid totes in the garage. So far at the new house I only have some African spears and shields hung up, with a couple of Pinoy bows in the corner. But I'm thinking about digging out some of the bayonets and knives and hanging them in the new den.

I always upgraded blades when possible, so ended up with lots of multiples. Some of the old blades are truly beautiful. The French Gras, Chassepot and Belgian Berthier bayonets, especially, are works of art. And I have a mint WW1 German "Butcher" Bayonet. It is the blued finish police version and looks like it was just made this week.

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

More Bayonets, Please.:)

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Damn Rock you've been holding out on us! :eek: Hellz yeah get to posting some more steel. ;) I myself don't have but a few knives, mostly utilitarian, but I sure do love to gawk at them. :D

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Great. Classic military blades and all Shi wants is bayonets. Fine. Stay posted.:p

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Ok. I have plenty, just gotta dig them out of their current resting place.

9. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

10. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

Well Rock,looks like you just might be digging out your knives sooner than ya thought. We all need a pics fix. We know your holding!:D

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

OK, I'll get on it tonight. But it will need to be a "work in progress".

12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Here are a few that I had inside the house in an old wooden chest (don't ask).

The top pic has two of the most sentimental blades that I own. First is an aqv44 (Berg & Co) Mauser K98k bayonet that my stepfather brought home from WW2. Second is a Swedish Hunting knife that he bought the day he was discharged. I'll have to check the name on it. He made the sheath about 14 years ago when the orig finally wore out. It has cleaned untold numbers of deer, hogs and other game.
    [​IMG]

Second pic has three examples of one of my favorite military blades. These are Argentinian 1909 Short Swords. The top one is well used and razor sharp. The middle one is pristine and still has the original chrome plating, as well as the most beautiful tiger eye in the wood. The bottom one is in great shape but has been buffed, though never sharpened. These used to be found for about $50, but are bringing about 3-4 times that for a good one now. These were made in Germany and in Argentina. These three are German, but I have one or two Arg and they are the same quality.
    [​IMG]

This pic is just a closeup of the handles of the three Arg 1909 Short Swords.
    [​IMG]

The last pic has more of my favorites on the left end. German "Butcher Bayonets" which are similar in blade style to the Arg Short Swords. On the left is a battlefield relic from the Battle of the Somme. Next is one with the early leather scabbard. It is in bad shape, but the scabbard is quite good, and rare. I have one of these that is as close to "mint" as probably exists in the world, and another that is museum quality. I have several more that I'll dig out for future pics.

The next one escapes me at this time. Hmm... Haha. But it is in great shape!

Next is a French Gras bayonet, one of the most elegant and beautiful of the old sword bayonets. Brass pommel. They polish up beautifully and I have a few of them.

Next are the three Arg 1909s with scabbards and two types of frogs (pictured above).

On the end is a Philippine bolo made from a leaf spring and the handle is water buffalo horn, called "Caribao" in the PI. Heavy as hell and sharp as chit.

On top is a Swiss PE57 bayo that I got in a trade. Cheap, but interesting. My daughter just told me she wants it. Ha.
    [​IMG]

More to follow, but these were handy.

13. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Dang you Rock! I've got drool all over my keyboard.

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

If you could heft one of the 1909 Short Swords you'd have a smile on your face. I'll dig out some other cool old bayos and knives in the next couple of days.

I'll try to find some of my Ka-Bars, Mk1's and Mk2's, too. Don't think they are mixed in with the others. The history in those old war horses is palpable can be felt through the handle.

15. freefall

freefall New Member

I covet those short swords. Particularly the one in the middle, I like it's shape the best.

16. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Now that is a beautiful knife! :eek:

;)

17. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The one with the thin blade? That is a Gras bayo and they can be found for very reasonable prices. $50 in poor shape to $200 for a great one.

18. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Too much emotional value to use anymore, but I found some by the same maker on ebarf and scarfed them up. They are great knives made from 01 tool steel, the same steel used by Randall.

19. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

ooooooooh, daddy likey!:D