A favor, please? 1911 beaver tail fitting...

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by trip286, Jun 7, 2013.

1. trip286

trip286 New Member

I got the Wilson combat drop in beaver tail. Frankly, I don't like it.

I want an actual fitted beaver tail, yet I don't want to pay a Smith (I'm a shade tree variety myself), and I'd rather not buy the jig for a single job.

Anyone have a fitting jig laying around that I could borrow?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly My Smith and Alexander EZ Fit grip safety was purchased as a package from Brownells that included the jig. Unfortunately, somewhere between my child or the dog, one side of the jig went away. The beavertail was around $40 IIRC.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

If I had a fitting jig, I would loan it to you. S&A sells the beaver tails for 36.95 and the jigs for $16.95. They ship USPS so that is another $5.

All in all, still less than a 'smith.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Thanks for adding that. I got mine several years ago, and have a Brownells discount. I went to their site and don't see the package deal that they had when I bought mine.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

What diameter?
    Take a look at setting up a "poor man's" jig.
    Washers on a bolt that the outside diameter matches the diameter of the grip safety.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

That sounds like a damn good way for me to EFF something up severely...

Your ever done it?

And most of these grip safeties give you the radius... How do I figure what diameter equals the given radius?

IIRC from 9th grade geometry, radius is the measurement from the center of a circle to the outside edge, and diameter is the measurement of a circle from edge to edge at the widest point? So does that mean I would double the radius to find the right diameter washers?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  7. danf_fl

Take the grip safety with you down to the neighborhood Ace Hardware.
    Explain what you want to do, and they will help.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Hmmm...

I'll strongly consider this Dan, thanks. I don't know if I can handle it or not, but I'll sure enough put some thought into it.

9. danf_fl

Or take a trip to Clark's. They're only a couple of hours away.

But seriously, patience is the key. Once you have the material removed, it is hard to put back on.

The first one I did, I used washers, tape, grinding wheel, files, and a fifth of whiskey.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  10. JohnJak

JohnJak Member

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013