A dog for SHTF

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Marthor, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Marthor

Marthor New Member

In the older days, the family dog was more common and essential.
    In survival, SHTF, a dog can again be an extra valuable companion.

So, the let the debate begin on best dog for SHTF....

Bigger dog is better if he were to engage in a fight. Bigger dog also requires more food, which won't be as easy as a trip to the pet section anymore. Little dog can still be a deterrent and an alarm and doesn't eat as much.

OK, what's the best SHTF dog.

2. opaww

opaww New Member

I would say a mid size dog like maybe a good rabbit dog who can help hunt small game and also can be cooked of you have to

3. Marthor

Marthor New Member

Which one? Name the breed of choice for SHTF! ;)

4. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I thank I have a good set. My 2 year old lab Lilly with her BOB and my 8 week old pit bull Tyson.

Attached Files:

5. Marthor

Marthor New Member

Did you get those dogs with SHTF prepping in mind at all?

I like the idea of pics too. Name the best SHTF breed and a pic!

6. opaww

opaww New Member

I like Beagles myself

7. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Even tho it seams that way no I did not. We found the lab 2 years ago. She is the best dog I have ever had. I think I could teach her to pee in the toilet and flush maybe even wipe lol. I have only bin prepping for about 6 months. As far as Tyson. I have always wonted a full blood PR blue and white pit. Just so happens that I ran into a breeder that was on his way back from the vet with some puppies.

8. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I did. Till I met my mother in law for the first time. She had 3 beagles a toco bell dog (I dont know how to spell it) and some kind of wont to be 1/2 Bassett hound. The most aggravating and worst behaved and stupidest dogs I have ever met in my life. It is the owners fault. But those experiences have put a bad taste in my mouth.

9. vincent

vincent New Member

You like the way they hunt or taste??? :eek: :D

They're perfect for brush AND field, they're VERY persistent and intelligent...

Smaller dog, less food to tote if you're on your feet...

Probably not the best guard dog but I still don't want to get bitten by one...:p

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  10. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Just use the dog as a alarm. Then you can bite them with 5.56 rounds lol.

11. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  12. vincent

vincent New Member

If need be, that's the plan but dog bites are free, ammo costs money!! :D

13. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

That's why I like a bow or crossbow. You can pull the arrows form the corpses and reuse them. Also you can give the silence command, and that person's group will have a harder time locating you. A dog's bark travels a shorter distance than the report of a firearm.
    As far as a dog goes, I'd have to say a mutt. If you get the right cross breeding, you get a good defender, and a good hunter.

14. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

This is a new record! When the quaterly "dog" thing comes up the very first response includes eating it. LOL I would have predicted the third...

15. Marthor

Marthor New Member

So, the "dog" thing is quarterly, eh? ...and you haven't settled on a perfect SHTF dog yet?

I currently have 3 cats, but me and my wife have decided to switch to a dog after the cats expire. They're getting pretty old now. Maybe after 2 pass, we'll go ahead and get a dog.

We were leaning toward and Italian Greyhound before, but with SHTF in mind he's out. Too fragile to fight at all, and his speed won't do me any good.

Now I'm looking more for hunting and defense applications in a dog instead. I guess a Lab could be a top choice, unless someone has a better SHTF idea.

[​IMG]

16. orangello

orangello New Member

I would want a small terrier that could live off rodents that it could catch. If it was a Yorkie, i wouldn't feel bad about killing it with a spoon.

Taco bell dog = Chihuahua

I used that as a bonus question on tests when i taught; most didn't get it.

17. Seven

Seven New Member

A couple years ago I thought about SHTF when we (my family) were looking for a pet. I chose a female American Akita for their general attributes. Medium-large, extremely loyal to their family, doesn't smell (as in stink), sharp eyesight and hearing, doesn't bark unless it's "serious" ...and doesn't play well with others.

Best friend my family has ever had.

[​IMG]

I almost went with a Ridgeback.

18. Marthor

Marthor New Member

I found a good website to do research for this...
    http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/breeds/S~1.aspx

They rate every type of dog breed by size, maintenance and watchdog ability.

Some good contenders for medium size, lower maintenance and good watchdog are:
    1) fox terrier, smooth
    2) Eskimo dog
    3) German Pinscher

Italian greyhound didn't rate too bad after all... Small, low maintenance and good watchdog

Lab is rated larger, medium maintenance and good watchdog

19. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Pitbulls will be the only dog I ever own, shtf or not. Loving, loyal, and protective. they can find hogs pretty good too and if they can tear a 200 lb hogs face up, well look out Mr BG.

20. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I'll just have to make due with my two labs. They are alert to any unusual noises.

I have guard geese and ducks, they raise a ruckess when a something is amiss. :)