A defensive weopon for Non_US citizen travelling thru?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Scare_Rab, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Scare_Rab

Scare_Rab New Member

I am lucky enough to be visiting the (Western) United States this coming November; 4 great weeks ahead.
    The Mrs. & I will hire a vehicle and drive around - Los Angeles ; Death Valley, Reno - Grand Canyon Idaho - Washington- vague plans but lots of camping in the Beautiful out-doors.
    I am a citizen of NZ. I have an NZ 'Firearms license'.
    I'd like to have with me a Remington 870, an SKS and a 1911. Kinda covering "close"; very Close & -further away-.
    Of course I can rarely actually have with me *ALL* three of those good buddies. I make do.

My question: how to go about protecting myself and loved one during 4 weeks car travel through these Western States. I have done some 'Googling'. Seems I can use my I-94 permission to enter and my passport when asking for a license. I'm thinking it my be better to leave California and travel to a more reasonable State = eg Nevada, or Idaho - or Washington or Arizona?

Any suggestions ... questions ... comments?

Steve

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

All i know, non US residents aren't allowed to buy firearms. You can only rent them in gun shooting ranges.

3. Scare_Rab

Scare_Rab New Member

..not U.S. Citizen?---required to demonstrate that they are legally....

If the buyer is not a U.S. Citizen, then he or she is required to demonstrate that he or she is legally within the United States by providing to the firearms dealer with documentation that contains his/her Alien Registration Number or I-94 Number.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/concealed-carry-travel-resources-45366/

4. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I assume you aren't in US yet. And on November you are coming into US as a tourist or visitor. Am i right?
    Why would tourists be allowed to own or purchase firearms in US? If i visit your country, NZ, will i be allowed to own or purchase firearms?

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Legal aliens (though they are few in numbers today) can purchase firearms if they meet the requirements of "resident aliens".

My spouse is a good example. She is German, registered as "resident alien" with proper documentation.

Visitors on a temporary visa are not allowed to purchase firearms. I do not know if pepper spray is restricted from purchase.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Onk- stop asking us to explain WHY a law was written the way it was written. As far as I am concerned, they were eating mushroom pizza at the time, and I suspect it was the mushrooms.

Rab- US citizens and Resident Aliens (am also married to one) may purchase firearms. Non-resident aliens may purchase a firearm under limited circumstances.

For MOST visitors, the circumstance would be that you have a hunting license, and purchase a hunting weapon. Please note that for a non-resident, that would be likely rather expensive, require a hunter safety course, etc etc. Stay out of CA, and pepper spray is available over-the-counter at a LOT of places.

For those that say a non-resident alien cannot legally buy a firearm- (no, am not going into state law like NJ or ILL) some reading for you- A friend publishes a blog called NRVoutdoors.com He is a proff of Veterinary Medicine at Virginia Tech, nice guy, and a very readable writer.

Go to nrvoutdoors.com. On the LEFT side, scroll down quite a ways until you come to "Mike buys a rifle- Adventures of a Non-Resident Alien at Walmart".

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If it turns out that a firearm and/or pepper spray are not options buy a can of wasp spray. Honestly its better than pepper spray, usually cheaper, has around a 20' range and is completely legal.

8. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

Never heard that before. Probably cheaper two, will it make you go blind?

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The "90 day residency" was just dropped under FEDERAL law.

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Could potentially kill you. I have a buddy that uses it on the chipmunks eating his garden (can't use his .22). They run about 4' and drop dead.