A Day in the Desert with JoDaPlumbr

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by M14sRock, Jan 1, 2011.

1. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Dragged Jo and my shooting partner out to the dez yesterday to have some fun. It was cold and breezy, with the morning starting off at about 27f and a 14mph wind. Chilly willy, fo sho. On the drive in we crunched through several frozen pools of water with ice about 1" thick, leftover from our rains last week. The snow on the mountains around us was beautiful, and snow level was down to about 3,000 feet, just a little higher than where we were. I'll let Jo jump in and post some pics he took, as I did not take any.

We started off by setting up some steel plates at 450, 800 and 900 because Jo wanted to shoot both his new AR in 6.8 (for the first time) and his Husqvarna 7mmMag. We mounted a Super Sniper 10x in a LaRue mount on his 6.8 and in about 6 shots had Jo on the 450 plate with every hit. It impressed the hell out of me. I have been planning to do a .300AACBlackout upper, but now the 6.8 is calling my name. Hmm..... No pics of the 6.8 because Jo is planning to reconfigure it before it makes it's FTF debut.

Jo started the Husqy 7mm at 900 yards, and it is such a great long range round. Even with a solid full value crosswind it was only about 2 feet left at 900 yards. The scope it wears is an old Redfield WideField (2-7?) which made range estimation and holdover more of a "best guess" situation, but we had a couple of hits on the plate in just a few rounds. I LOVE shooting that rifle, and managed to get my 3rd shot on the 900 plate. Jo's rifle makes long range shooting seem pretty easy. Once we get him set up with a good scope it will be awesome!

When we were done on the hill (It was too cold and windy up there), we drove to the base of the hill and did some spot and stalk. Jo carried his KelTec .223 topped with a cool little Bushnell red dot, and my partner and I carried M4's with Aimpoints. Jo's KelTec sounds like a cross between an AK and a Mini 14 when it fires, which is very distinct. And that little KelTec is really accurate. We walked up on the plates, starting from about 300 yards out, and as the plates would come into view through the bushes we would each take 3 shots. We worked our way out to the far plate, and then back again. Jo also had his M&P .45 and there were two misfires using WWB. One of them eventually went off, but the other one was DOA even after 4 or 5 strikes. Jo is a seriously great shot with his little KelTec.

When we finished the spot and stalk, we set up a series of 5 target stands, plus our three plates, and ran some drills with carbines.

The paper targets were set up from about 20-40 yards, and the plates were spread out from about 100-150 yards.

Various carbine drills, like Mozambiques on the paper targets with single hits on the plates, or controlled pairs on the targets followed by mandatory reloads and single hits on the plates were a lot of fun. Then we mixed in some transitions from carbines to pistols. Jo had asked me to bring my Saiga 7.62x39 to try it out but he was underwhelmed by it.

And I gotta say that after the sun went behind the hill and it got cold, Jo was drawing his pistol from the cargo pocket of his pants and reloading from the other cargo pocket, because his coat was too long to allow easy use of his holster and mag pouch. Watching Jo turn in 11 second El Presidentes from his cargo pockets was awesome! We did some shooting while advancing towards, and retreating away from the targets, and had a blast. We are gonna set Jo up with some decent slings so he can do his transitions better, and head back out. I think Jo had fun.

I was shooting a G22 with a Harrts Recoil Reducer and 18lb spring and Federal 135gr +P JHP ammo, but do not advocate light fast .40's. These shot great, though. Kinda "snappy" but not bad at all. And they printed very well. I decided to shoot with gloves all day, which I usually never do. I used a pair of relatively thin pigskin gloves and the only way they slowed me down was in changing mags on my Glock. I'll keep practicing shooting with the gloves, and should get used to them easily.

We ended up shooting until the sun went down, then loaded up and drove home. Quick stop at Carl's Jr. for some delicious gourmet food :eek:, and then a couple of hours of gun talk in the truck on the drive home. Made it home around 2030.

I can't imagine a better way to celebrate New Years Eve than to go burn a bunch of powder with friends.

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Great writeup, must have been a really good day.

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

It really was. I'm looking forward to getting back out in a couple of weeks.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

5. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Hey Jo,
    You guys need to come out to my part of the desert to cap off a few rounds. Be glad to have you guys up here. Your driving distance will be slightly less, I think.

Jim...................

6. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Yes the plumbr had a great time. Very nice of Rocks and his buddy to let me tag along. This was very different from any day of shooting I’ve done before. I’ve never tried to send a bullet 900 yards. Having to aim 25 feet high… Then getting the elevation gesstimated only to have the cross wind keep pushing me left. Still a lot of fun and really had the most enjoyment out of my 7mm mag. ever. Like Rocks said I need better glass. The thirty to forty year old scope has no mil. dots so long range is tough. And the 2 inch eye relief is very close for the power of the rifle. The half moon cut from the scope kiss I got yesterday is proof to that.

The new 6.8 shot great. Very happy with the choice of rounds. I tried an alternative grip stock configuration to be more like a standard rifle. Works great on a bench and is even very comfortable standing and shooting free hand. But from prone the stock is too low to hold firm in the shoulder. Thankfully the 6.8 is no where near the kick of the 7mm mag. Or I would have a few divots missing from my forehead.

It was quite the lesson running drills with these guys. And Rocks is right I need a sling a couple new scopes and a host of other tactical gear to go running with the big dogs. Can’t wait to do it again.

Attached Files:

7. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

The first picture above was the hill we shot from taken from where the targets were placed. a hell of a long wat away. Glad I didn't have to hike up tha hill with the rifles and ammo.

Agreat sunset out in the desert on the last day of 2010.

Attached Files:

8. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Oh yeah the new AR in 6.8 spc . And the shooting mat / case Santa brought.

And the old Husky 7mm magnum.

Attached Files:

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Seeing the tire tracks above reminds me of something. The ground soaked up so much water in our recent rains that it was "spongy". There were places where our feet would sink in several inches as we walked. In the summer the same ground is usually as hard as concrete. Walking around was pretty cool.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Where are you in relation to Barstow?

11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Looks like you guy's had a great day of shooting.

12. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Anywhere to shoot between Palmdale and Barstow.

How about in Pearblossom... that's a wasteland. :D

13. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I'm just about 15 minutes north of Barstow in Newberry Springs. It's in between the 40 and the 15 just past Daggett and Yermo. All of my back yard is wide open desert as far as the eye can see. I usually shoot just a couple minutes from my house (within eye shot). Have a lot of areas to set-up for long range if needed

Jim.........

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Aha. I know where Newberry Springs is. Unfortunately that is a LOT farther away. But very cool out there. How long have you been out there?

15. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Looks great guys. I wanted to go while i had time off but 35 degrees is nothing to drag the kids out into. I also am angry because you guys just get to drive on out on the flat land and set up targets, I have to walk in and make several trips. Some people have all the luck.

16. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Well it is an hour and a half drive each way. We have to go a long way from LA to shoot like that.

17. doctherock

doctherock New Member

hell I thought I had it bad at 30 minutes.

18. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

It looks like you all had a wonderful time. I would love to be able to just go out and shoot like that.

19. suprdave

suprdave New Member

That's great, guys! I'm really looking forward to the Meet-n-Greet this year. I need to learn some of these drills!

20. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I've been out here 26 years now. It is a great area, except for being in the occupied territory.

Jim...