Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SIL left today to meet his Brother halfway from Seattle and bring their mom here. His brother tuned around and headed back to Seattle because his Mom dismissed from the Nursing home, having used all Medicare, said she was okay. At the motel she was unable to put her pants back on. She is in her mid eighties.They their her home last year to come this way and she fell and broke her hip then fell again doing serious damage.The Nursing home from experience won't take her unless assured of payment. I wasn't able to talk to them.
They will have to go to a motel and I have no idea of how they will afford anything or even find help His Brother had.a massive heart attack,last year during all this saga.And everyone is at their ends health wise, financially and spiritually
I ask for prayers for their dire straights and for her health to improve.
Thanks

·
Administrator
34,289 Posts
Cant they get her in Medicaid at this point? I believe that’s what happens when Medicare runs out.

Reactions: OLD Ron and alsaqr

·
Administrator
34,289 Posts
Contact a lawyer who specializes in elder care. We had one for my Dad. Most lawyers offer a free one hour consultation.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Father, You are the God who sees, so we can have confidence that You see this situation that tinbucket describes and You know their needs and hopes, so we humbly ask that You would see to their needs in this desperate time. Rescue them Father as only You are able to do. And I ask this in Jesus name. Amen!

·
Administrator
34,289 Posts
Praying for some answers for your family.

Reactions: OldGnome

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Thoughts and prayers to you and yours. It’s tying times for the elderly and the families, been there.:(

Reactions: OLD Ron

·
Premium Member
22,661 Posts
Thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Don't want to say anything bad.... But Nursing homes use the patients home etc... for funds.. EVEN if there is a will, it is VOID if used for care in a home. When ya get old? ya put your home etc... in childs name !!! so NO nursing home etc.... can take it.... In some states the home etc... needs to be in child's name ahead of time 7 years prior... Bank accounts, power of attorney etc... should be done... Like I said not saying anything bad, just a heads up !!!! DON"T LET YOUR STATE TAKE it away....!!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mom had to stay in a Nursing Home for a few days until we found an Assisted Living Facility that could take her. I kick myself every day for not being able to stay in their home with her and take care of her. Mom and Dad could not afford Long Term Care coverage and without it or a fortune it means State paid Nursing Homes which are ll staffed and badly run. It takes special people to deal with Alzheimer's or any poor soul who cannot take care of themselves.
When I was n the Lions Club we went to Nursing homes and had games and refreshments for those who could and wanted to attend.One was far better standard than the others.
We could have but did not recognize we could have bought a larger one level home at the time and I could have manged to care for her possibly. She was fortunate n that she had VA income from Dad's Disability from WWII. Even so that and Medicare is not usually enough and the five us kids spent a lot and were glad to do it. Nursing Homes are in general for the non wealthy a death worse than dying itself. Prepare now for your selves and if your Parents are still alive, and the financial situation requires it put off that new boat and invest in care for their final days keep them as happy as possible. Do not let them go to a Nursing Home. The bottom line is the only concern of the Owners on Wall Street etc. Father In Law was simply let or assisted in dying.That's a saga I won't go into. Any family just starting out think of Mom and Dad's last days. Decades start rolling around real quick before long.
It use to be that the family home was always there and the kids lived not far away or still in the family home.Mom and Dad raised the kids there and the Kids started taking care of Mom and dad when the time came.
Wife wants to sell this huge barn but if not or if we do in just a few years it will be theirs and they may have to take care of us. We are in our Mid seventies and time is catching up. I'm a 100% Disabled Vet and already my wife picks up a lot of slack.
Today live it to the fullest but shortly, whatever your age, you will be old and who will help you when you need it? We can't afford it but we will have to hire a House Keeper and Cook, now. And there won't be any Grand Children which grieves me deeply.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Private Pay nursing homes in this area, and this is "country," run $7500 a month and up. As a result nursing home patients are 99.999% Medicaid.

tin is correct. You have property, you have to sign it over before being admitted.
If it's your wife or husband.....think how that's going to impact the rest of your life.

Have a plan!

ellis

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Don't want to say anything bad.... But Nursing homes use the patients home etc... for funds.. EVEN if there is a will, it is VOID if used for care in a home. When ya get old? ya put your home etc... in childs name !!! so NO nursing home etc.... can take it.... In some states the home etc... needs to be in child's name ahead of time 7 years prior... Bank accounts, power of attorney etc... should be done... Like I said not saying anything bad, just a heads up !!!! DON"T LET YOUR STATE TAKE it away....!!
Oh boy can I get in trouble on this one !
A few ways to look at all this .
We pay for insurances all our life for this type of thing .
When they run out we get screwed .
Someone has to pay for care.
Why should it be all of us ?
If there are assets shouldn't that offset the cost ?
You still get the care & your assets are not taken until you pass away . When you are on title 19 .
Don't we all want to feel like we paid our own way all our life ?
To many want our cake & eat it too .
Just an opinion of a old guy that has went through all this a few times .
In my case ...... I take pride in owing no one !
I want to die the same way I lived ...... not looking for a hand out from others .

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
A couple decades ago, I was in bad shape. Stability issues (old injuries) and lots of difficulty getting around. Contemplated going the "assisted" route. Thankfully, was able to work through it and get to a more-or-less normal daily routine.

I hope your family gets through everything okay, with both of them. Thoughts for you all.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
You still get the care & your assets are not taken until you pass away . When you are on title 19 .
I want to die the same way I lived ...... not looking for a hand out from others .
Ron, I wasn't saying it shouldn't be that way. The cost to maintain a patient in a nursing home or facility is high and has to be paid. At the same time how many of us can afford a $7500 a month expense for an unknown length of time? And it's not the dying..it's the time before dying if you are helpless to take care of yourself that's a real *****!

I was there two years ago, facing exactly that. When the 100 days of Medicare ran out at a Rehab Unit it was determined my wife couldn't be "rehabilitated." If she could have recovered I would have hocked everything I had to see that happen! So my choice was "Nursing Home" or "Home Care." While her life expectancy wasn't very long, I couldn't make $7500 a month payments for even a few months. And if I had put her in a nursing home she would have believed I was just discarding her as useless!!! And I would have had to sign over my house and land for what might have been 6 months of care. What a deal!

The point is...look to the future and work out a plan for the worst case. Buy insurance to cover such situations if it's available to you. Make arrangements with your lawyer to deed your property to your heirs well in advance. Do something before the situation arises.

All it takes for is one fall that breaks a hip. It's a downhill ride in a truck with no brakes after that! And it's likely, in one form or another, in the future of more of us than not.

ellis

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In Michigan Residents can keep their home. In Tennessee some others if they sign the home over to their children and try to enter a nursing home within five years they say it is in anticipation and will take the home or force a sell for part of it.The new rule went into effect right after my Brother as POA got her to sign it over. The home was not worth what the market was so they didn't take it. Also since she signed it over to us, we didn't inherit it, and when we sold it we had Capitol Gains taxes. We came out with less than appraised market price and got a deduction spread out over 5 years to off set taxes..

·
Registered
449 Posts
Even with power of attorney... IF the person dies? That becomes VOID.... UNLESS your name ALSO is on there bank account. If your name is not on there bank account, funds are FROZEN for one year to allow creditors time to get any payments etc... not paid.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts