A creepy iPhone prank

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Mercator, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Last night I started typing a message on my iPhone 4, and saw profanity entered when I typed certain simple words, such as "an" or "the". Took me a moment to check the Settings and discover 5 Shortcuts, where a commonly used word was transcribed as Go To Hell, or worse. Deleted them, and now all is well again.

I know it is a common school prank. But I had the phone is my pocket or in front of me all day long. Never left it unattended. Anyone knows of other ways to get your phone contaminated with this? The only place I went to other than work was a sports bar where I waited to pick up my son. Had a light beer, short, x1, and positively had the phone on me. I have no idea whether Halloween had anything to do with it (last night) Earlier I updated the iOS - coincidence? Getting the settings altered over wireless is still unheard of. This should be in the Conspiracy section but I don't have access.

2. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

How old is your son?

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Good question. He's 15 but it wasn't him.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

That is awesome! I am doing that to every phone I touch from now on! No curse words, but maybe some things like dildo, satan, zombies, and such.

Thanks!

5. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Yeah at 15 I'd have said it wasn't me either.

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Smart phones are connected to the net. Just like a computer that is online a lot or all the time with a cable or DSL connection they can be vulnerable to unwilling access from the outside.

If the phone never left you and you didn't do it then it come from elsewhere. You might want to look at some of the sites you have been to and their reputations.

I'll also ask have you used any other chargers for your phone besides yours? There is a way to mess with a phone that way too.
    http://www.net-security.org/malware_news.php?id=2548

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  7. orangello

orangello New Member

Probably that bear charity site.

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Dam them...Dam them all!!!
    Like ...build a damn and watch them just get washed away.:p

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

An update. Traced back my steps, and sure enough, I had left the phone unattended in the end of the day. The perp was right there, phone still unlocked. It was resentful supporting personnel whom I yet have to ID positively.

10. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Maybe you should take it to the store where you got the phone and have it checked to see if there are any other bogies in it, like a worm or other doodad that would let somebody else make a long distance or international call from his phone that would be charged to you.

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

An update. All buddies deny it. My suspicion about one person was unfounded. There was a possible motive that day, but not the opportunity. He was never alone with the phone.

This morning I found another new shortcut that I did not place. This time a standard omw=on my way. It came through some sync function, wirelessly. That means any shortcut may drop from iCloud or whatever such place. I am studying the iphone now when I have no better things to do. Got ideas? Bring em on.

12. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Hackers can place software on almost any phone that allows them to take FULL control of your phone and you will not even know it. They can activate your microphone or camera and listen and see everything, even when your phone is off. Worst of all, some reports show they can "push" this software onto your phone by Bluetooth or wifi.

13. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

The "on my way" is put on all iPhones. They all come with it as an example.

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I know. I deleted it a long time ago. It has just been "pushed" back in, by Apple evidently.

15. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

All of your apple devices that share the same apple id are synchronized. Changing the shortcuts on an iPad or iPod will affect the iPhone too.

16. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Also, if you update your phone it will come back.

17. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

What about iTunes? Same Apple ID on a PC?

18. MisterMcCool

I don't know about that.

19. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The only missing piece in the jigsaw is, I still haven't learned how it's done. I think I'm gonna "ask" my teenage offspring to do some wi-fi experiments. Everything now points at the sports bar where I (ready?) downloaded an update to my iPhone over the free wifi. If anyone is still interested, I will post an update. This may sound trivial to some, but my way of learning is the hard one.

20. MisterMcCool

Do you have any other apple devices that could have been compromised? It could have been the iPad that was fooled with and you just happened to notice it on the iphone.