A couple of questions about class 3/full auto purchasing

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by Crispy129, Jun 23, 2009.

  1. Crispy129

    Crispy129 New Member

    A friend of mine told me it is possible to purchase full auto firearms without a special class 3 or FFL license. He said I just have to let them do a long in depth background check (sometimes lasting a year or two) before I am allowed to purchase one. Is this still possible? If so, how do I go about doing this?
  2. c3shooter

    c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

    There is no Class III license to POSSESS a full auto weapon- it is to SELL full auto weapons. When purchasing one, the transfer is THRU a Class III dealer.

    If you locate a dealer you want to do business with, AND if your STATE allows private citizens to possess full autos, AND you have a balance in your checkbook that will cover the EXTREMELY high prices for most full autos- your dealer will guide you thru the paperwork. It requires a background investigation, fingerprinting, approval by your local chief law enforcement officer, and the payment of a $200 transfer tax. Your state may ALSO have registration requirements.

    This is a real quick and dirty, but bottom line, find yourself a Class III dealer.