A Cooperism

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by NGIB, Feb 2, 2011.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

We have LOTS of folks come here asking about cheap guns and inexpensive guns. This quote from Jeff Cooper makes a ton of sense and is certainly worth considering - if you're in the market for a gun...

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I think you may have just put your finger on the reason I like guns. I still have the sxs 12 g my lady gave me for our first anniversary (long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away) I have the .410 my granddad have my Mom when she was a teen- with instructions that it was for her first son. My son has a son- who shoots his dad's "baby rifle"- a scaled down Marlin 15Y.

In a transient, disposable, ephemeral world, a good gun is designed and built to last longer than you. I like that.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

As I didn't get any "hand me downs" I never really thought about it until I read this quote. Unless you're a professional competition shooter going through thousands of rounds a month - a gun could last for generations...

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I like it. I even gave you a "thumbs up".

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I firmly believe in this. "The best is always cheapest".

Great reminder, Dave.

6. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

The most expensive isn't always the best. Sometime you can buy expensive junk too.

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I did not say "the most expensive", I said "the best". BIG difference.

Buy the best and the odds are you will never need to upgrade or sink more cash into it.

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Oh so true. I have my great-grandfather's Winchester shotgun and my grandfather's Remington shotgun. They both look almost brand new.

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

It's hard to argue with the logic there.
    My favorite handgun is a 45 yo Colt revolver. I have a really nice shooting Winchester .22 rifle that is nearing 60 yo.
    Well kept, quality guns are something special.

10. Bighead

Bighead New Member

Very true. I have several heritage guns.

My father's service revolver, my grandfathers Winchester 94, and a Walther P-38 my grandfather brought back from WWII. The crown jewel is my great, great grandfathers Winchester '86 that is well over 100 years old. It was a well used firearm, but still serviceable.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I did not inherit any guns and I try not to get attached to any gun since I had to sell off my prize firearms when things got really tough a long while ago.:eek: I have strayed with one rifle I have now. My CZ 527 American in 223. That little Rem 552 I recently picked up is whispering to me. Is that what they mean by voices in your head? I have noticed that it is hard to get close to a piece of plastic.

12. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I firmly believe in you get what you pay for. Sure there are some better values out there but for the most part that idea holds true. If you buy a quality firearm and care for it it will last longer then you.