A conversation with a coworker

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Chris78, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Chris78

Chris78 New Member

The other day I was having a conversation with a coworker, generally on the subject of firearms, self defense, and concealed carry. Mind you, we're in Chicago, so I wasn't really expecting the conversation to begin with.

My coworker would really like to be able to carry, and of course I completely agree that he should be able to, but that's a political discussion that is going to be a long, hard fight in this city.

I found myself telling him that as much as I would like it to be legal here just because of the reduction in crime that generally comes with an armed populous, I don't want to constantly carry and feel like I'm in a war zone.

I know there is no right or wrong on the personal decision to legally carry, but I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is; probably more so from people in the free states, about feeling like you're going into combat when leaving the house while carrying. Is this a necessary feeling to come to terms with to be able to carry comfortably? Or is it the sort of thing that just becomes natural after a while, like always having your keys and wallet?

Chris

Stay safe, stay prepared

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

It comes natural after a little bit.
    I don't feel like I'm going into a war zone. On the same note, I don't carry a tool box because I'm a mechanic, I keep it because my truck is old.
    I don't carry a gun because I'm fighting crime or Al Queda, I carry it because some folks like to get stupid.
    Luckily, I use the tool box much more than my gun.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I personally don't think I want the play the odds of someone thinking I may not be carrying.

Reality check is that there are more unarmed people than armed. But by all reports, major crime rates seem to be going down with more people getting their CWP.

I don't think of this as a war. But I have fire extinguishers and first aid kits nearby. And the firearm.

4. fmj

fmj Active Member

Chris, not to sound like an ***...but your "walking into a war zone" statement tells me you have been indoctrinated by the Chitcago machine.

We live in the free state of IN, IL neighbor east and we dont have the "War zone" mentality.

Carrying is just something you do (if you so choose) because you "Just never know".

If you havent already noticed, the streets of Chitcago already ARE a war zone!!!

5. WilliamTF

WilliamTF New Member

I live in VA I carry all the time. Initially I felt kinda strange in public with it ,like everyone knows but ofcourse they don't. Now I feel naked without it, and trust me that ain't a pretty sight.

6. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

I find it nice to be prepared to defend myself or my family if necessary. I dont feel like im going to war everytime i step out of the house. I dont want to be naive either and think that everything is hunky dory. I have never been forced to draw or really even think about drawing my weapon but you never know what this life holds in the future

7. Glock27SC

Glock27SC New Member

I have to agree it did seem a little bit nervous the first couple of days I wasn't use to having that card in my wallet. But it does feel good to know that you are capable of having it as a citizen. I haven't had to pull my gun out on anyone but is prepared. I carry I small Glock,27 so I don't feel like i'm going to war it's light.

8. Chris78

Chris78 New Member

I want to thank everyone that has replied so far.

FMJ - trust me, I know that Chicago is a war zone. It was bad 8 years ago when I joined the service (Navy, just call me a REMF), and it's only gotten worse. The crime has been moving into the areas of the city that have always been considered safe. But even after being in California for the past eight years, Chicago is still home, and I had to come back. Even with all that's wrong here.

Stay safe, stay prepared

9. TimKS

TimKS Active Member Lifetime Supporter

"........just becomes natural after a while, like always having your keys and wallet."

Yep, it's like this for me. :)

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I carry daily and it stays in my pocket until I head across the river into IL.

I do not feel like I'm in a war zone at all.

Think of it this way... I doubt anyone here would think of not carrying fire insurance on their home. The odds of being a victim of violent crime is greater than the odds of needing to use your fire insurance to cover any loss.

Carrying is simply insurance. I keep it, but I hope I never have to use it.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my philosophy is simple, better to have and not need, than to need and not have. i have fire extiguishers in my house, shop and vehicles and also first aid kits in all them as well. i carry lots and lots of insurance too.

12. Jkl-28

Jkl-28 New Member

First few weeks when I started carrying I felt like my pistol stuck out and everyone knew that I had a concealed weapon and I was very careful about lifting my arms up high or bending down (I carryed small of back) and my holster would show!... Now it's very natural and don't worry about that anymore

13. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I have carried (legally) now since 1968. I have had my bacon saved several times by the piece I was carrying. Fortunately in each case the BGs retreated before I fired, although I would have fired if they hadn't retreated. They were all armed, but maybe thought they were going to scare me to death. I carry everywhere it is legal, and nowhere where it is not legal. I lived in Indianapolis from 1979 to 2007, and it is a place where a license to carry is a good thing to have. I now live in South Carolina, where it is legal to keep a gun in your car any time, without a permit, as your car is considered an extension of your home. I do have a South Carolina permit, so I can carry even when I'm not in my car. Also, the South Carolina permit is honored in every state I travel to or through. In South Carolina, every law-abiding person is ENCOURAGED to obtain a CWP, and to carry a gun, by LE and even by the news media, They regularly have features on the TV and radio new stations advising people to get a CWP, and to carry. I feel no embarassment, no shame for carrying. It's like carrying a handkerchief in case you get a runny nose. But Chicago is dedicated to the concept of keeping the streets safe for criminals, and Illinois is now the ONLY state where people are denied the right to self defense.

14. fmj

fmj Active Member

I have a ton of trouble with that statement...some states the "law" may be on the books, but the practice of obtaining the license and then actually carrying are a different tale in real life. Then the restrictions put upon those that have actually gotten the license such where and when one might carry becomes so burdensome and complicated its not really worth it.

Here in IN its now state law that no municipality may make laws to curtail legal carry. Basically if you have your carry license, you may carry ANYWHERE in the state, save a building housing a court room.

15. Chris78

Chris78 New Member

Even if right now I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable carrying all the time, I still plan on getting my FL permit for when I travel to my family's land in MO. I think that part of my personal hesitation to carry (once IL joins the free states) is that I've never been in a position that I have needed to. I've always been good at knowing my surroundings and avoiding confrontation.

I also try to get everyone I can, to honestly think about "gun control", the people that would do you harm with a weapon already have one, and won't obey the laws anyway. So exactly what good does it do to keep guns out of the hands of the law abiding.

Stay safe, stay prepared

16. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

You are right. I stand corrected. California, Massachussetts, and New York are other cases of states pretending to allow concealed weapons, but have failed to implement it for all but the connected wealthy and powerful.

17. Axxe55

gun control laws are disguised as in our interests of public safety. most guns in the possesion of criminals are not bought or obtained through legal means. they are bought and traded for with drugs, stolen and sold on the blackmarket. so gun control laws when designed and implemented only serve to disarm a law abiding public, not criminals. criminals don't go into a gun store and fill out an FFL form and buy guns the legal way. sure they may obtain some this way with "straw purchases" but most are stolen or traded for. remember, when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

18. Irishgiant215

Irishgiant215 New Member

We prepare for so many "what if" situations.
    What if it's going to rain today? That's why I keep an umbrella in my car.
    What if my power goes out? That's why I have a backup generator.
    What if something happens to my car? That's why I have car insurance.
    What if I get sick or injured? That's why I have health insurance.
    What if I were to die unexpectedly, what would happen to my family? That's why I have life insurance.

What if someone comes up to me with the intent to harm me?
    How can I defend myself against a criminal with a weapon?
    What should I do if some lunatic with a gun starts shooting and my family is in danger?
    In Illinois the answer to the last three questions is call the police and pray for saftey.

As soon as I can carry legally, I will. Not because I am in a war zone and enjoy vigilante justice. I will carry a gun to be prepared for those "what if" situations. I want to be in the best position possible to protect the people I love the most.

19. Creekside_Sports

Creekside_Sports New Member

I grew up in CA and once I turned 21 I went down and got my ccw. No hassles, long waits or tons of red tape. But then again average response time for ems was 45+ mins and the sheriff was even longer.

20. Axxe55

Irish, you have hit the nail on the head! something about being in the boyscouts many, many years ago has stuck with me, "be prepared".