A Christmas tail !

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dango, Dec 18, 2015.

1. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I was on the road and working around Alabama . I'd bought this 1963 Chey Impala of a mechanic . The car ran great .

We had two weeks off for Christmas and decided to go home , it had been three years since I last visited home .

Get my things together , and spent that night in my motel room . It went down to 18 degrees that night . No anti-freeze , Eeeeeek ! Everything froze solid a friend had a heated garage and let me thaw it out everything seemed ok , no noticeable damage . Being me , I had a collection of odds -n- ends with me .
    Sleeping bag , warm cloths , some basic tools and a roll of 500 ft. Roll of 12 gage wire I found in a dumpsters in those days , I smoked a little weed so I'd bought a bag of alligator clips , you know , roach clips .

I hit the inter state north to home . About 15 miles up the road , (poof) smoke pouring out from under the dash . No power , nothing , no lights , ignition , nothing . My heater burst , water every where , again , Eeeek..! Everything under the dash fried !
    Got out the wire , wired everything I needed , lights , ignition , everything needed to get my butt home . Back in those days , cars were very easy to wire , nothing more than what needed to make it go + I used to make custom harnesses for Harley's in those days so it was easy to wire . Wires and clips hanging every where , LOL.....:D
    I had to cut the hose to the heater to keep from losing water . NO HEAT , NO DEFROST . EeeeeeK !
    I bought spay can de-icer , wrapped in my sleeping bag and drove 1300 miles ! It was about 15 degrees all the way home !!!

I made it , dressed in my cold weather cloths , gloves and many a spray can later , HOME .......!

Ho Ho Hom, I made it !

2. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Now that's an adventure! :popcorn:

I hope you fixed up the Impala, those were sharp cars.

3. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

Dango, Reminded me of a trip many years ago in my youth. I hired out during X-Mas Break to ferry a road tractor from Tenseness to Southern Indiana.
    We flew into some dirt strip S.E. of Knoxville. The Old Freight Liner was Cummins powered and sounded OK. I was caught in winter storm on the Ky. Border. The heater shut down and the damn thing iced up. I was promised the old rig was road worthy. I called a friend up in Louisville, Ky to fly his old Cardinal down and pick me up. The company paid me extra for the problem so all ended OK. :)

4. Dakota1

Dakota1 Active Member

Talk about making a silk purse out of a sow's ears!

I'd be helpless in that predicament - NO mechanical knowledge.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Great story, Dango! What a trip. Amazing the block didn't crack.

I love 1963 Chevys, one of the best looking Chevrolets of all time. Junior Johnson's "mystery engine" was the strongest in NASCAR 1963, too bad GM dried up the racing parts.

6. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

That was when you could open the hood and look in and SEE every wire and hose by just moving your head and body, 12 volt DC the regulator on the firewall, NO COMPUTER,
    OH YEAH you also had to remove the breather to see the carb and fuel pump.

7. Dakota1

Dakota1 Active Member

Dango, BTW, the way you spelled "Tale," I was expecting a post about you getting some Christmas tail.

:D

8. Biohazard2

Biohazard2 Active Member

Yea, me too; Lobster tail and beer, 3 of my favorite things.

9. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I got some Christmas tail a few years ago. I was a early Christmas morning, her name was Rhonda and.... :D:D

10. dango

Ack.....! Grammatical purists , but hey , not bad for my third grade educatin ! :confused:

11. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Well darn... I wanted to hear some stories about Christmas tail.:cheers:

12. dango

Not at all , the tail happened after I got home , (part two) .......!

Since I stopped rather abruptly , I am the kind of guy that never burned bridges , especially of the female types . I was always the consummate gentle man and always left on very good terms . Always was welcome , but I'd rather leave that part personal ! :eek: