A case for diversifying calibers (Ammo shortages)

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by SSGN_Doc, Apr 7, 2020.

1. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

SSGN... you make an interesting case and its a good intellectual approach.

The remedy to this is also of course if you stay standard and it goes full Mad Max you can also resupply yourself via battlefield pickup.

I try to focus on buying when stuff is cheap and plentiful and as a result have not bought a thing during the current panic.
    My last 2 large purchases (multiple cases each, mostly 5.56 but also some 9mm and even a little bit of 38SPL and 357 Mag) were in November and last Summer.

2. rock185

rock185 Active Member

There may be something to favoring a less popular caliber. During a previous ammo panic, handgun ammo was not to be found at the local Walmart. Except, there always seemed to be a couple boxes of .357 SIG available....

3. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

oh...i know i need it. BUT...i already have a plan for my corona check. :D

to be clear, are we talking 270 or 270WSM? i have only shot a buddy's 270 once...really nice shooter. never shot a 270WSM.

Shopfox likes this.
  4. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I resize 270 cases into 30.06 for shooting light target loads. Plenty of case lube and slow and easy works out well. The 1st time resizing them.

5. RaySendero

RaySendero Active Member

A 270 Winchester or just 270
    or as 1st unveiled in 1923
    a 270 WCF (Winchester Center Fire):

WinM70_270_012210_Reduced.jpg

hawkguy likes this.
  6. Donn

Donn Well-Known Member

^^^This^^^ I mentioned much the same elsewhere. I also mentioned there would be another panic. New shooters aside, those of us who were around following the Sandy Hook tragedy should've gotten the message. We've had years, the last three in particular, when guns and ammo were readily available and reasonably priced. If you thought it would last forever and didn't take advantage, who's fault is that? Don't blame the guys who emptied the store shelves before you got there.

Shopfox, SSGN_Doc and bluez like this.
  7. Flinchy

Flinchy Member

Taking this concept further. Casting is the next step in the long progression of near-self sufficiency. This is NOT something for the lay person to just go out and buy the equipment, read some posts or even bound books on the subject and "hit it". There is a learning curve quite different from reloading. If at all possible the newbie to casting should find a mentor and get hands-on experience with someone else's hardware and alloys before making the leap financially.

8. Flinchy

Flinchy Member

Reverting back from casting, consider unifying your powder inventory. I feed an M1A variant and several 222 Remington bolt rifles with the same ball powder. My current armory of pistols are serviced well by Herco and Unique. Primers come in 5 flavors, the std and magnum rifle, std and magnum pistol, and CCI #34 for those feeding those M1A actions. Winchester primers cover both std and magnum applications; I have not had any problem with doing that, so I can reduce my primer inventory to just 3 types.

9. Flinchy

Flinchy Member

Last observation: way back when Pres O was elected 2 specific calibers of ammo simply disappeared off the shelves, at least here in the Midwest. They were 22LR and 380 ACP. Soon after the public range (dirt pit) where I shoot was picked clean of centerfire shells. Yeah, the 22LR empties still showed up, but in lesser numbers, but 380 ACP was gone. Soon 45 ACP and 40 S&W disappeared. Last but not least, 9mm disappeared, except the steel garbage, and the occasional aluminum case. After 4 years things started to lighten up, meaning people were leaving brass again, then the Prez was reelected and it started all over again.

Why 22LR & 380 ACP? I have only a theory: these are the most common concealed carry pistol calibers, at least 11-12 years ago.

Right now things are relaxed, a LOT of 9mm is left on the ground. I've even found 7.62x51 laying around. This will continue until a hard wind shift in Washington D.C. If you are considering reloading, you should be picking up your select caliber(s) RIGHT NOW. Regardless of how cheap ammo might be now, and how much people are leaving on the ground now, when it's gone and you want some, well, there you are.

towboater likes this.
  10. Leftyfixit

Leftyfixit Member

The nice thing about reloading is having a brick of primers and pounds of gun powder. As for bullets, one trip to the back wall of my local shooting range and I have a years worth of lead for casting.
    I was asked once about why I think it's okay to take lead. I answered I will bring it back in a few days. LOL Some times you just can't beat common sense.

Shopfox and towboater like this.
  11. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

thanks. that's what i figured, but i thought it best to ask.

yeah...270 is pretty popular hunting cartridge. i don't know anyone that has a 270WSM. in fact, i had never heard of it before i was trying to determine what you meant by 270W.

towboater likes this.
  12. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd like to get a rifle in .270 wsm, maybe a browning xbolt. I think the short mags are kind of neat but I'm in the minority because they're kind of dying out.

13. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

My BIL has a .270 WSM. He hearts it. But he likes his .30-06 better.

14. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought Well-Known Member

Well there are two ways you can approach the problem of shortages.

1). Stick to one cheap caliber and stockpile a MOUNTAIN of it.

Pro: Only one kind of ammo to buy (or two with a battle rifle.). Cheap means it’s easy to stock up on.
    Pro: All your guns can use the same ammo.
    Con: Less fun at the range.
    Con: Less likely to find something you can use in a shortage.

2) Have a variety of calibers.

Pro: Can probably find something you can use during shortages.
    Pro: More variety at the range.
    Con: More expensive.

I took a third route of a handful of calibers with plenty for each. That got REAL expensive for a while there. But I’m feeling confident now.

Shopfox and bluez like this.
  15. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have a mountain, you won't have a shortage. That works for 80%+ of firearms. I also have a 9mm carbine to extend the flexibility/fun of the mountain. Ditto with a .22 pistol and .22 rifles.

For my "fun" calibers, I handload. My 444 Marlin and 44 mag can share the same bullets. My 6.8 spc, 444 marlin, .223, and .308 (among others) can share the same Benchmark powder (my Trail Boss could too, plus a few more).

Reloading gives you a lot of extra fun and variables to play with, even with a "boring" caliber.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    bluez likes this.
  16. ConfusedCaliber

ConfusedCaliber New Member

I just added a 10 mm to the stable. I reload 9 mm, 45 ACP and .357

17. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

yes, I added a new one to my rifle calibers. 6.5 Grendel.
    If you are "successful" in getting the "right stuff" on the first pick, by the time you get done with it, that is, buying a new die set, quick change caliber set up (for a Dillon 550), the brass, bullets, primers (if needed) and powders to work up a load, it is about a $1000 deal minimum.
    I got a BAD barrel so my Krieger is supposed to be coming.
    By the time I get done it will be WELL over 1000.
    I will post it as I said before with loads etc when I get her done.

bluez likes this.
  18. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

Are they still ammo panicking out there? I hadn't noticed

oO_Rogue_Oo likes this.
  19. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

I dumped all my guns (with 2 exceptions) in 2013 and started over with all 9mm.

I decided to limit myself to a manageable number of guns and invest in magazines and ammunition for the guns I have rather than buying more guns.

It's worked well for me. I went into the current ammo panic well situated with enough ammunition to last several years.

YMM (and very likely does) V

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  20. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

So I keep reading about the virtues of stockpiling which leads me to a question that I haven't seen mentioned. How many here who stockpile do it for different loads in the same caliber? For instance in 9mm the common 115gr FMJ is a staple and I keep a few thousand for range play but they aren't what I carry (FMJ for economy and HP for carry). Then I have a few 9mms that really prefer the 124gr load; so naturally I keep a supply of those. Then there is the 147gr subsonic loads that I prefer in a PCC so I keep plenty of those on hand. Same goes for 10mm. See a sale on 155gr 10mm and think those would be fun to try to see what I can get out of them so buy a box of 500 to see what I can do with them. Figure out a load that works well and think I really like these so I load up the 500 then keep an eye out for them to hit a good price again and might end up buying another 500 or 1K to stock them. Ah but what about the 165gr and 180 gr; can't forget those. Then there's 45s, 44s, 357s; thankfully not so much with 380s and 41s. But then there's the 40s, 38 supers, 45 colts and the list goes on and that is just pistol calibers. It really gets crazy with the rifle stuff.

Anyone else stocking multiple loads per caliber?