Firearms Talk banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Used to work with a retired Chief- Pearl Harbor survivor. Told me the old joke about the Senor Chief chewing out a new recruit over his use of terms- "This is a SHIP. THAT is a bulkhead, that is a hatch, that is a ladder. Now get it straight or I'll throw you out that funny little round window...."
porthole

There was a time in America where we used simpler less-technical language when we were still young and innocent as a culture. When a five-year old boy says "Intel Pentium processor", I have issues.

In 1983, I got my first car, a new Camaro that year. I was attending junior college at the time. A lady in the college parking lot said to me, "WOW!, What a hot vehicle you've got!" I gave her a look of surprise. Vehicle... so official sounding.

Nowadays, VEHICLE is used all over the place in the auto industry. It's not a car or truck anymore... it's a vehicle. I miss the days when AUTOMOBILE was more commonly used. AUTOMOBILE. Planes Trains and Automobiles. Nice ring to it.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Artillery = indirect fire.

Mortar = high angle, low velocity, short range.

Gun= low angle, high velocity, intermediate range.

Howitzer = any combination of the above, long range.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Some people have a overpowering urge to correct others terminology .
In some cases it is important but most it is not & just irritating .
Pleasant conversations are hard to find ...... why add critiques to it .
An insecure person always has to sound smarter than others .
Like gramps always said ......no one knows how stupid you are until you open your mouth so listen & learn .

·
Registered
436 Posts
When I was in FA, we called our guns, howitzers because they were rifled.

Any artillery is a big old gun. They are too big to call firearms. We had ADA with us sometimes when we fired.

When they fired their 20 mm
cannons, it filled the air with noise. It went buuurrruuuppp!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
When I was in FA, we called our guns, howitzers because they were rifled.

Any artillery is a big old gun. They are too big to call firearms. We had ADA with us sometimes when we fired.

When they fired their 20 mm
cannons, it filled the air with noise. It went buuurrruuuppp!
When I was an Artillery instructor we taught what I posted above according to FM 6-50. A rifled bore has no bearing on whether or not a given piece is a Howitzer.

The distinction between a Howitzer and a gun has been lost because technology has moved beyond it. Pretty much all cannons are Howitzers today

·
Registered
436 Posts
When I was an Artillery instructor we taught what I posted above according to FM 6-50. A rifled bore has no bearing on whether or not a given piece is a Howitzer.

The distinction between a Howitzer and a gun has been lost because technology has moved beyond it. Pretty much all cannons are Howitzers today
"Any artillery is a big old gun. "
How is that unclear?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I love horses, and they seem to like me.
I went to one of those places that have horses, that are led around so nood nicks could ride them.
I rode one named Sarge, and when I was finished, I threw my arm around his neck.

I told him that he was a good horse, and petted him. He stomped his foot in joy, he understood that I liked him.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
I love horses, and they seem to like me.
I went to one of those places that have horses, that are led around so nood nicks could ride them.
I rode one named Sarge, and when I was finished, I threw my arm around his neck.

I told him that he was a good horse, and petted him. He stomped his foot in joy, he understood that I liked him.
I love horses, always have. My best friend has a team of horses and has around 25 scattered around the country (about 15-20 here in Maine and the rest at the farms of his Amish friends around the Midwest). I love seeing them- they are the most impressive things on Earth

21 - 35 of 35 Posts