a bridge to somewhere.....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by powg, Jan 7, 2011.

1. powg

powg New Member

i hope to gain some knowledge from the good people in this forum.i have got to build a bridge on my deer lease to gain access ...we had a big culvert ....worked just fine ...but do to eco reg.culverts now are a no -no .i want to know the most checkbook friendly way to span 25 ft .needs to be 6 ft wide, mainly for atv ,but able to support a small tractor + implements + my fat butt and a cooler full of miller light when food plot time comes .thanks

2. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

How deep? This might be challenging.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, unless you are good at designing trusses or bowstring arches, a simple pole bridge would be your best bet. Utility poles come in 3 standard sizes- 30 foot being shortest. 3 of those 3 feet apart, decked across with 8 feet 2x4s, simple, not an elegant solution but hard to screw up. But have you priced lumber lately- and will the tree huggers allow you to bridge if culvert is a no-no?

4. freefall

freefall New Member

Up here Fish & Game loves bridges but hates culverts. Maybe on old flatbed trailer?

5. powg

powg New Member

bridge

yes we can build a bridge ...i was thinking about using poles too.we may have access to old trailer house ...use the i-beams from frame ...or buy a junk flatbed/gooseneck trailer cut neck and axles off.

6. powg

powg New Member

bridge

we leased from a paper comp ...then it was sold to an insurance/ diversification group .john hancock .i dont understand ...culverts arent eco friendly but clear cutting 500 acres of 100-200 yr hardwoods in a creek bottom that feeds the sabine river ..(.which is a major river here in east tx ) is eco friendly?get this the hardwoods are going to a pallet mill ...pallets to be sent to china to be loaded with their junky s-it to sell to us.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Get a steel cargo container and cut the doors off and end out. Covered bridge.

8. powg

powg New Member

steel container!

that is cool ....if cut at every angle id would have 4 30ft bridges ...heavy floor for tractor crossing .2 sides and top could be used to span other creeks for atv only ?

9. powg

powg New Member

steel cont.

or keep the floor sell the 2 sides and top for 400.00 ea ....have a free bridge !

10. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

If you look around the classifieds you can probably find some steel I-beams, or the idea posted earlier - take an old worn out trailer and salvage the support beams from that.

11. jca1

jca1 New Member

Find a local mobile home dealer and ask about scrap mobile homes. If you can find a old burnt up singlewide or anything like that the frame will make a sweet bridge.