A bit disappointing

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by 7point62, Dec 3, 2013.

1. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I just added a pre-owned Win 94ae 30-30 to the collection and I really like the rifle.

[​IMG]

As you can see I ran out of targets so I just grabbed computer paper and tried for dead center at 100 yards. My first attempt was up-left.

[​IMG]

I adjusted elevation and tried again and the results were better. 2 out of 3 in the center.

[​IMG]

Subsequent hits were disappointing. The problem aint the gun. It's my eyes. I can see the rear sight notch and the target clearly, but the front sight post and bead blur on me...I lose it in the V. I'm thinking a dab of luminescent paint on the front sight bead might help it stand out more.

It sucks getting old.

2. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Go ahead and open up the sights and add some paint..can't hurt. May even want to try adding a tang peep sight.

Do you wear glasses?

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

You could replace the sights with new fiber optic sights. They make a world of difference.

4. 7point62

Thanks Tim & Mac, I think fiber optics is the way to go. I've been pricing them, they're very affordable. Dammit I used to be lights out with iron sights at 300+ yrds.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think that your eyes are part of the problem. as we age our eyesight will get worse, not better. problem is that it occurs gradually and we are not as aware of it.

i shoot rifles mostly that have scopes, and rarely go and get my glasses when shooting with open sights. i also have model 94 in 30-30 and refuse to put a scope on mine either. i did put some White-Out on the front post to make it stand out against the rear notch and it did help.

6. 7point62

Thanks Axxe, I might try the white-out or a tiny dab of luminescent paint before I replace the sights with fiber-optics. My vision is good except for reading...things about arms-length away, like a front sight, are getting fuzzy. I don't want to put a scope on this rifle because I'll use it for hogs right after dusk. John Wayne didn't have a scope on his Winchester and I don't want one on mine. ;)

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

Does that mean you're far sighted?

8. AR10

AR10 New Member

One problem, you are shooting at nothing. Shooting at nothing, gives you nothing to focus your attention on.

Grab a black felt tip marker and put a bullseye in the center of the paper. Size of a half dollar.

That will make a world of difference.

You are looking at three things, all different distances. Impossible for a human eye to get a focus on all three at the same time.

Best bet is to focus on the front sight. That makes both the back sight and the target a little fuzzy.

Want a trick to make everything in focus? Make yourself a set of pin hole glasses. Get a pair of shooting glasses and tape over the lens. Except for a tiny pin hole. Look through that pinhole, and everything will be in focus.

Too dark? Larger hole.

Doesn't do anything? Smaller hole.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I like your post but I have found it rather hard to draw a dot on a deer before shooting it.

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Install a receiver sight on the Mdl. 94. That has been the most popular sight on lever guns for over 100 years. :)

11. 7point62

Not sure. I had head trauma that required multiple eye surgeries and caused latent traumatic cataracts when I was fairly young. So since then my vision's been kinda screwy. I can see good close-up and I can see good at distance, but there's a fuzzy area, like I said, at about arm's length in my aiming eye (the right)...which of course is about where the front sight post is. I can't explain it and I'm kind of like the enigma at the VA Eye Clinic.

I suppose I could shoot with my left eye...and that would solve the front sight issue...but I'd have to shoot left-handed.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  12. JW357

JW357 New Member

There are plenty of people shoot right handed with their left eye

13. AR10

AR10 New Member

Do you learn to ride a bike with training wheels?

Do you first sky dive strapped to an instructor?

Do you bake a soufflé your first day at cooking school, or learn how to crack eggs first?

Set yourself up to succeed and later your skill level will increase and you can get more out of your actions.

14. AR10

AR10 New Member

I have 3 Winchester 93's My oldest one was made in 1898 (no FFL paperwork required) and my newest one was made in 1956. Amazing how much refinement (is that the word for it?) the newer one is.

The ones made today are a shadow of what they once were.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

JT- if there are dots on your deer, you are about to have OTHER problems....

fawn.jpg

:D

16. Garandman1945

Garandman1945 New Member

I agree. I found my great grandfather's old model '94 in the corner of an attic in my grandparents farmhouse. 1953 serial number. He bought it brand new. The thing was covered in thick dust, cobwebs and some areas of surface rust. After a little elbow grease and a lot of rem oil, the thing shoots moxie cans at 50 yards, no problem.

As far as the sight issue, I agree that it's tough to use. There is only a tiny notch cut into the rear sight. Replacing it with a peep sight might really help you out, I know I have been tempted to before.

17. 7point62

I might have to start if the front sight modifications don't help.

18. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I went w peep sight and it is more accurate - increases sight radius dramatically. I also went w fiber optic front. Whole set up was less than $100 a few years ago.

19. 7point62

Thanks, that pretty much settles it for me. I'll go that way, make the mods and see what happens.

20. AR10

AR10 New Member

Either have a good gunsmith do the mod for you, or be careful not to do ANY harm to that piece of history.

Put the original parts in a zip lock bag, and put it in your safe. Grease them first so they stay as is without rusting away.