A BIG Python?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Bob Wright, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Like many of you who have posted hereabouts, I was bitten by the Python bug. In fact, I was so enthusiastic about the gun when it was announced I wrote Colt about giving the New Service the same treatment, possibly in .44 Special, and when it came out, in .44 Magnum. As I recall the Python and .44 Magnum both appeared the same year.

I had hoped to see a large framed gun built like the Python. But the New Service had been discontinued since 1947, and most of the tooling was already gone.

I did customize my New Service, fitting an adjustable rear sight and a big Micro ramp with a Patridge blade.

But I always fancied having three Colt look-alikes with small, meduim, and large frames.

I finally got my Python but was somewhat disappointed in it. After about 6,000 rounds just to wring it out, I swapped it off for a Colt Single Action Army. And never looked back.

Bob Wright

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Each to their own :)

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

If you're happy, that's all that matters.

4. roughneck266

roughneck266 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You're right! Now send that ol junky snake on over here we'll "dispose of it" for you. :)

5. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Ill keep my serpent lady.... :p

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Colt Anaconda perhaps?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Anaconda

7. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

The Anaconda and New Service were poles apart. The New Service had the same innards, albeit on a larger scale, as the Python. No comparing Colts of that era with the later guns.

Bob Wright