Firearms Talk banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts
Can a person mail strike anywhere matches? Just wondering, because I've known many people to say they can't find them, but I can find them pretty easily here.

In regards to the modified Ruger and Hammerli target pistols, aren't both of them fixed barrel pistols with a moving bolt? It would be interesting to compare them with a .22 of the 1911 design, preferably from a Ransom rest. I say this because I too am of the school that thinks a stationary barrel is more accurate.

As far as the revolver vs auto argument, here is my experience. I am much more accurate with a revolver of equal barrel length, but I believe it is due to the grips I have on my revolvers. They fit my hand better, so I shoot better.

Can a person mail strike anywhere matches? Just wondering, because I've known many people to say they can't find them, but I can find them pretty easily here.
They have probably been outlawed in some states as too dangerous LOL! Fortunately the legislators here in CA haven't thought of that one yet. I can get them anywhere.

In regards to the modified Ruger and Hammerli target pistols, aren't both of them fixed barrel pistols with a moving bolt? It would be interesting to compare them with a .22 of the 1911 design, preferably from a Ransom rest. I say this because I too am of the school that thinks a stationary barrel is more accurate.

As far as the revolver vs auto argument, here is my experience. I am much more accurate with a revolver of equal barrel length, but I believe it is due to the grips I have on my revolvers. They fit my hand better, so I shoot better.
A Ruger - MK I, II, III all have fixed barrels & rear sights. Only held a Hammerli once at Scottsdale Gun Club in AZ, don't recall much of the event other than being star struck w sticker shock.

Getting the Mods to agree to shoot off w be difficult enough but finding a ransom rest in addition just might be a bridge too far. However, I agree w eliminating the human variable as much as possible to prevent favorites from rising to the top.

Yet, I suppose favoritism is inevitable - we tend to shoot what we like and the better it shoots, the more we like it. :D.

I'm open to suggestion ? Well, other than all of us conducting our own test and debating the results Margaret Mead style. :p

Getting the Mods to agree to shoot off w be difficult enough but finding a ransom rest in addition just might be a bridge too far. However, I agree w eliminating the human variable as much as possible to prevent favorites from rising to the top.
I just think the rest is a mandatory item since we are sort of skirting around the accuracy of the firearm, and not how well a shooter can do with it. The only other way would be to line up people to shoot the different platforms and average the scores. Unfortunately, that still doesn't mean some fanboi wouldn't tank the scores on their least favorite platform to make their favorite look good. No, there has to be a rest involved. Anything else is too internet.

I was told the ones we had around here- Ohio Blue Tips- were out of business from law suits. Something about a kid tried lighting one on his tooth like he saw an adult do, only the match burned the kids mouth and the parents sued..

Really sucks, because as a Boy Scout those were our staple matches. Dip the tip in melted parrifin wax to waterproof them, had many designs of waterproof containers. And back when I was in, butane lighters were not allowed since many ended up in shirt pockets and fell out when the scout was adding wood to the fire... boom!

Gud question- Aint seen them in yrs but haven't really looked, think i'll check it out.
I find Strike Anywhere matches fairly often. Look at Hardware stores and camping stores. I have a whole stash of Strike Anywhere matches. When I see them I buy 2-3 boxes. I can almost always find them at smaller hardware stores, not the big box home improvement stores. Some grocery stores carry them, too.

If you don't mind ordering online..........

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Strike-Anywhere-Matches/dp/B004ASRGX2

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...kw=strike+anywhere+matches&_sacat=0&_from=R40

When I was in my early teens, a neighbor of mine taught me how to light a strike anywhere match with a bullet. We started out with my dad's old Marlin bolt action .22 rifle (not sure of the model, I would have to ask the old man) at 10 yards, using .22 shorts. Dad and I stated practicing the same shot with his 1911, and after a month of trying (hit too low, goodbye match, too high, clean miss), we got to where we could do it to 2 to 3 matches out of every 5.
No offense intended, but I refuse to believe a 13-14 year old can put the edge of a bullet on the edge of a match head (not the bottom edge, though, or goodbye match!) from ten yards half the time with a free hand shot from a handgun.

This is getting out of hand. Someone back me up here.

Blue1

My pops bet me I couldn't shoot the cap off a Pepsi bottle on my first try with his p22 one time,I had to of been 16 or 17 at the time,we were about 10-15 yards away. Aimed,nailed it... Double or nothing he says,aimed... Nailed it again.

Never saw the money lol

Blue1 said:
No offense intended, but I refuse to believe a 13-14 year old can put the edge of a bullet on the edge of a match head (not the bottom edge, though, or goodbye match!) from ten yards half the time with a free hand shot from a handgun.

Blue1
I'm with ya still. I believe it's possible, but unlikely, especially concerning the source... an online forum personality. If it's true, great, awesome, mad respect, but I don't believe anything I don't see with my own eyes. I'm not of the older generation, with me you're guilty until proven innocent and a liar until proven otherwise. I take nobodies word on anything unless there's logical backing and or physical proof. That said, it's not worth making a scene over. I'm not good at not calling things as I see them, but seems that many don't take to kindly to that and while in person I couldn't care less, online, if you want to stay around, you have to pet eos by either recycling the smoke or staying out of it. I'm learning to abstain, reluctantly. Haha

A K-22 fired from a Ransom Rest will not provide the accuracy needed to shoot under a 1/8 of an inch at 25 yards. You can have some luck and do a once in a life time shot. The facts are to make contant hits on a Zippo lighter at 25 yards will escape most casual pistoleers.

My question is. Was that a "Lucky Strike" cigarette?;)

Blue1
I'll have my 15 year old practice at it and see how he does. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if he could do it.

Jstrong said:
My pops bet me I couldn't shoot the cap off a Pepsi bottle on my first try with his p22 one time,I had to of been 16 or 17 at the time,we were about 10-15 yards away. Aimed,nailed it... Double or nothing he says,aimed... Nailed it again.

Never saw the money lol
Never saw the money my azz ! It's in that ole f150 you drove, in them size 14 s you had on your feet, etc. Really how much did we bet ?

Discussion starter · #59 ·
danf_fl said:
If you will allow me to repeat what I put here earlier.
I think all of us have had our, "lucky shots". When you get them back to back, well you better start tipping your hat to the shooter.

Jstrong, (my son) has developed incredible skills with handguns. He was shooting spent shotgun shells at 30 ft with my cz52. After he had shot the line of them, I told him to just keep that gun. My father gave it to me and he was going to get it anyway.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.