Firearms Talk banner

A bet on the range

8K views 92 replies 33 participants last post by  Vikingdad 
#1 ·
Got me a couple of dollars at the range.
The bet was made that at 25 yards, a shooter could not knock off the filter of a cigarette with one shot.

We let one guy staple the cigarette on the target and a couple tried and failed.
When I was up, I stapled a new cigarette so the cigarette was up right (not sideways as originally stapled).

Aiming at a cigarette that is up right versus sideways give you elevation anywhere on the cigarette, all you have to do is work on windage.

#4 ·
Normal cigarette.
I was using an old S&W 15-2 that had sight work done (original sights leave something to be desired). 148 gr wad cutters.
Using a two hand hold.

#8 · (Edited)
Lol! What are you trying to say
I'm trying to say I can't believe no one else calls anybody out on BS like this, geez.

This is like the cowboy movie where someone pulls out an old, abused, never cleaned .45 Colt after drinking for an hour in the saloon and shoots a cowboy off a horse galloping away at full speed 100 yards away one-handed.

But it's a piece of cake if you turn the cigarette so it's vertical:rolleyes:

Blue1

#9 ·
I'm trying to say I can't believe no one else calls anybody out on BS like this, geez.

This is like the cowboy movie where someone pulls out an old, abused, never cleaned .45 Colt after drinking for an hour in the saloon and shoots a cowboy off a horse galloping away at full speed 100 yards away one-handed.

Blue1
My fil talks about being at deer camp, shooting a beer can, single shot from a .38 spl... at 100 yards. He admitted to me it was sheer pure luck, and said when they asked him to do it again, he passed and said it would be showing off.

#11 ·
Try it out. If you can hit enough for bulls-eye shooting, it is not as hard as you think.

The S&W is maybe a little more tricked out than just sights.

#15 ·
That is a pretty gun!! I couldn't hit anything without a tripod to hold up all the equipment.

#16 ·
It can be done with a pencil:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyC0jnfPTwg[/ame]

But he is not using my S&W 15-2

#17 ·
Found another example:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnKMjpHH-TM[/ame]

#19 ·
I bet I could do it with my 1911. I will try with a pencil. I dont smoke. No way I am buying ciggs just to shoot one! I quit 17 years ago!

#21 ·
The guy with the Kimber was shooting at 16 yards, not 25.

I think these things happen on occasion, but luck is the driving factor. I believe factory ammo would group larger than the width of a pencil at 25 yards, so how can one be more accurate than the ammos inherent repeatability allows? Especially from a semi-auto, which is less accurate than a quality revolver.

Blue1

#22 ·

I think these things happen on occasion, but luck is the driving factor. I believe factory ammo would group larger than the width of a pencil at 25 yards, so how can one be more accurate than the ammos inherent repeatability allows? Especially from a semi-auto, which is less accurate than a quality revolver.

Blue1
Using a .38 or 9mm (.357 diameter) you have approximately 3/4" play side to side (.357 X 2 = .714, 3/4" = .75"). With a .45, almost an inch.
Look at the second video, and you will see that the first two shots were very close together (vertical was longer than the horizontal), but either shot would break a pencil held vertically.

When you are at the range, have you ever had two bullet holes touching each other?

#23 ·

But it's a piece of cake if you turn the cigarette so it's vertical:rolleyes:

Blue1
I could probably do the same thing with my 4" S&W Mod 19. I shoot the brass on spent 12 ga rounds at 25 yards all the time. Single action two hand grip, but no rest. Of course I have to use my "computer" glasses to get a clear picture of the front sight, but it's not that difficult.

#24 ·
Let me get this straight...you are retired, a beer drinker, and you hit a cigarette at 25 yards shooting a handgun freehand?:rolleyes:

Blue1
I believe Dan's story. I have seen some amazing shooting out of Stalkingbear in Kentucky. He has some incredible accuracy. Dan isn't the type to make up a story for the adulations.

#25 ·
It can be done. When I was young and naïve, having no idea what was considered a long distance for the shot I was taking, My dad used to set up shots like this for me all the time. No cigarets though. He never said anything about the distance and it wasn't until I heard him bragging to his friends about the distance of my shots that I knew it was a hard shot. I was young, great eye sight, and full of confidence. I have tried those same shots as an adult and when I do make it luck probably plays a big roll. Now one of my eyes is set for distance and the other for reading and I KNOW it's a hard shot.
I guess all I'm saying is it can be done with some skill, belief, and luck.

#26 ·

Blue1
I was with ya Blue until you came out w the revolver > auto accuracy comment. I find that harder to believe than a lucky shot at 25 yds. I've seen people shoot golf balls w handguns - no idea what they are sighting on - personally, I find it very difficult to hit what I can not see. But if I have a spotter, I can dial it in some.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.