A 50cal. Purchase

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by PeeJay1313, Jun 22, 2020.

1. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

Me and my boy are concerning on going in on a 50cal. Our local range rents them. Yep, had to do it... But that's the extent of my knowledge on them. I dont wish for junk, but not needed for military purposes, just for fun. I would like some insight. Please help... 20200315_213449.jpeg

2. elfmdl

elfmdl Active Member

I have an Armalite AR-50A1. It’s one of the more affordable 50 cals. Heavy as hell and is a very accurate rifle. It is a single shot and the only thing I did to it was change the trigger, the one it came with was super heavy. What are you looking at spending on one? I’ve done a lot of research on them over the course of buying one

3. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

Even dipping your toes into the .50cal world can be a costly affair, but Barrett make a very useful intro rifle that will serve you well. Even over here in yUK this manual rifle has made impressive inroads into our somewhat rarified band of .50cal shooters. This is not because we can't have them, basically, it's the cost and need to travel around the yUK to shoot them on the few ranges that are cleared for them - more often than not, military.

Apart from the more usual Steyrs and Barretts - even Desert Techs, THIS rifle below is proving very popular as well - the Fortmeyer.

upload_2020-6-23_12-57-32.png

4. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

This was my M82 which I've since sold.

C_zpsc4a1b7a9.JPG

Tons of fun. Each trigger-pull is an event. Impress everybody within 3 miles. But, yeah, expensive as hell and I used to drive halfway across the country to a buddy's ranch in Texas to shoot them. We'd fire API at a steel manhole cover at 800 yrds.

They're not practical, they're heavy and unwieldy. Some would say, too much of a good thing. For hunting...no. Not unless you're going for rhino. So to sum up...more of a novelty.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  5. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

$5 a bang, at least. The #1 shooter here in yUK gets through between 1500 and 1700 rounds of Hornady's bore rider bullets - almost $5 each, just for the bullet - every year for his four rifles. He seems to have some kind of a job that pays for this 'fun', but he's not everybody. Shooting it at less than 1000m is uncommon here, and we have accessible ranges out to 4000m.

http://www.fcsa.co.uk/

schnuffleupagus, PeeJay1313 and manta like this.
  6. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

I would love to own one but I wouldn't like the price per round going down range. The guns I own now are costing me enough to feed them.
    It's a good thing they are not allowed at our range.

Rifling82 and PeeJay1313 like this.
  7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

PeeJay
    50s! They are a Blast! Literally:p:p
    I shot a lot of them while a guest with the Seal Team Sniper Schools. My farthest shot on an a 42" E-Silhouette in a Conex Box Door was 2200 meters which was next thing to a S**ual experience!:) And once we got it dialed in hit it most every time. The 50s are a fantastic weapon, both the Barrettes and the McMillan Bolt guns which the Seals had. I would like to have a Barrett M-82. But as the guys mentioned they cost a bunch and are very expensive to shoot even if you reload.
    I guess for now, I will just have to settle for my Savage 338 Lapua Magnum. But even reloading it, the rounds are about a $1.50 as shot having used brass and all. Factory ammo can run around $4.50 a round. And I know good 50 ammo is more than that depending on the quality of the ammo. I was thinking the norm is at least $5.00 a shot and match is much more. Reload cost ??????
    There are many manufacturers out there but would suggest you research the reviews on the one you are thinking about purchasing. Have Fun!:D

8. GMG2

GMG2 Member

For the cost and all the other issues I'd rather buy a half dozen other guns and enjoy shooting them a lot more. But that's just me.

Lonewolf Mcquade and 7point62 like this.
  9. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I bought my Barretts with a once-in-a-lifetime small windfall and enjoyed them for a while...but in retrospect, coulda bought a lot of other cool guns for the money.

I couldn't use them hunting because I stalk and I'm mobile. Plus I don't want to disintegrate the meat, LOL. And "plinking" with a .50 is for guys who have plenty of disposable cash, which I don't normally.

They are fun. And the recoil on the M82 and M99 is very manageable. When you shoot them from prone you get a significant ground/air disturbance, like an artillery piece, due to the side angled muzzle brake.

All that said, if you want to take out a truck engine at 1000 yards, the .50 is your gun.

10. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

I've shot 1 here it was the AI .50 and to say that I was impressed would be an understatement. It was on a private range ..........read farm and the bloke that owned it was using 650gn ammo(can't remember what brand) and at 300yds it was punching through the steel bedding plate that is used under rail lines with ease. Firing it was a lot better than I thought recoil wise as well just the cloud of dust and leaves from the muzzle blast was a bit of a problem for a few seconds but I'd take that especially if I could get the chance at bombing up a mob of pigs at 1 mile because I can.
    I love a bit of grunt in cars and guns and this thing has more grunt than a pig farm.

OLD Ron and PeeJay1313 like this.
  11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Peejay, that gun is bigger than you. You will need to mount it on a vehicle.:rolleyes:

Rifling82, OLD Ron, 7point62 and 2 others like this.
  12. PeeJay1313

Our local shop has one for about 8k. But I buy enough stuff from them so I believe to will get a better price.. In not sure what the exact model is. Again, it's just a thought

Rifling82 and OLD Ron like this.
  13. PeeJay1313

Kinda like my 50ae. But hey, I got one..

Rifling82, Sniper03 and OLD Ron like this.
  14. PeeJay1313

I wish for a range like that around me. That would be great

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Rifling82 likes this.
  15. PeeJay1313

Yes there a "blast" to shoot. That's why the boy and I want one. I believe it's a Barrette our local place has. I'm sure the owner will take care of me, I buy enough firearms from him.

Rifling82 and Sniper03 like this.
  16. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

There used to be a few 50 Cal rifles like Barret around here. However, every range I know of has banned them. Too much damage to target frames, etc.
    Plus, the side blast is so loud and concussive that it clears other shooters off the firing line. So many complaints that some thing had to be done about them.

Before you ever buy, be certain you have a range that will allow you to shoot one of them.

Rifling82, tac foley, OLD Ron and 2 others like this.
  17. PeeJay1313

Hey now, I had a couple inches on it. .. But that's not the one were looking at purchasing. That was a rental

Rifling82 likes this.
  18. PeeJay1313

Great point. Only one range is capable of handling a 50cal near me. Like you stated, but for how long.. Other then that, a vacation is needed to head to the next place that can handle a 50.

Rifling82 and Oldoutlaw like this.
  19. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Yea, a big consideration to take into account.

Rifling82 likes this.
  20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

7point62 and PeeJay1313 like this.