A-10 Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'History' started by 1911NUT, Feb 1, 2018.

1. 1911NUT

1911NUT Well-Known Member

I've been hearing for years now how Congress is going to send My beloved Warthog to the boneyard. This aircraft and its 30mm Tankbusting cannon revolutionized modern close air support. Soviet ground troops nicknamed her "Satans Cross" because of expansive wingspan and its ability to loiter over the battlefield. When it turned after making a gun pass and was setting up for another, it resembled a cross, henceforth the name. But this weapon has set the precedence of the close air support role. Yes there are other possible platforms that could also perform the same function, but not as effectively as A-10. Recently Congress has extended her life through airframe upgrades that will keep her ruining bad guy tank drivers lives until roughly 2030. I'm happy to hear this because this weapon system holds a very special place in my heart. I'm the nephew of the first A-10 Squadron commander. He died in the cockpit of a Warthog flying an airshow in Chicksands R.A.F. IN 1979. He was also in the development phase of this aircraft. He believed in its capabilities very strongly, as do I.
    Thanks for letting me rant. (Keep the Warthog Flying)

2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I hope we have something better. But probably not.

3. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

filling the role of the A-10 will be hard shoes to fill for sure.

RJF22553 likes this.
  4. AzShooter

AzShooter Active Member

I did my time in the Air Force at a TAC base but loved to see the A-10 from Davis Montham flying around when I went down there. I took pictures of the A-10s from a helicopter and had one published in Stars & Stripes.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

When I lived in Bossier Parrish, LA, I enjoyed watching the A-10's fly over my neighborhood.

B-52's also.

Barksdale AFB was less than 5 miles away.

tinbucket, towboater and locutus like this.
  6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Flying commercial out of Colorado Springs airport. The civilian airport shares runways with Petersen AFB. There you sit in your 737, lining up for takeoff, and you notice that the next plane ahead of yours is an A-10......

7. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I see A-10s occasionally at Pease AFB but mostly KC-135s and C-5 Galaxy routinely do touch and goes. Even saw an Antonov An-225 fly off with a 100-ton press aboard! Our shop is at the very end of the runway and we get to see all the planes as they come and go.

8. echo1

echo1 Member

I totally agree. OV-10 Bronco is another work horse.
    If your uncle flew that routine state side, I may have seen him. I think he stayed under 500 feet the whole time he was honkin that Pig around. I'd never seen an A-10 demo like that before or since. PAX

tinbucket and towboater like this.
  9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Only one thing is needed to make the A-10 nearly perfect.

We need to get the human pilot out of the cockpit and fly it from a computer terminal on the ground.

Chainfire, SRK97 and towboater like this.
  10. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

The A-10s are extremely popular among the ground-pounders: it is there for them, and them only. First saw one in Frankfurt, Germany in the early 1980s, flying less than 500' on its side right over the Autobahn. What an incredible sight! Almost drove off the road...

It and the SR-71 are my two favorite planes ever - kind of the yin and yang in terms of lines and performance and mission. Were I a WW-II European Theater soldier, I'd add the P-51.

When the USAF first pushed to get rid of the A-10, there was a serious push for the Army to take it. Aside from political pressures against (1947 National Defense Act creating the USAF and the alignment/prohibition of fixed-wing attack aircraft in the Army), the main constraint was Army force structure availability, so the Army didn't pursue. Was very sad for my Army to back off, but they did.

As others have said, it is a tough bird to replace. Perhaps that says something...Just because it is technically "old" doesn't mean it is obsolete. Think the M2 machine gun, B-52, B1, etc.

tinbucket likes this.
  11. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

The A10 is a great aircraft depending on who and how it is being use against. It could be in trouble fighting a modern army with modern anti aircraft weapons.

tinbucket and locutus like this.
  12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It will be replaced when they come up with a better weapon system. Energy weapons anyone?
    As far a drone goes why bother with a system. Make the drone the weapon and fly it into the target. A high speed high explosive expendable drone could wreak havoc.

tinbucket, locutus and towboater like this.
  13. 1911NUT

1911NUT Well-Known Member

tinbucket likes this.
  14. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

That idea has already been tried . The Germans used the V-1 Buzz Bomb to hit cities and the port of Antwerp .

tinbucket and RJF22553 like this.
  15. Rentacop

Revolutionized modern close air support ? I dunno . The Germans in WWII built the tank-busting Stuka with two 30mm cannon and a bomb on it . The Russians had a heavily-armored ground attack plane in WWII and later built the Frogfoot . The British put two 40mm cannon on the Hurricane to bust tanks and there is footage of one doing just that .
    I say they should keep the A-10 because it is already built and it stands to reason that keeping it running won't be very costly .
    As for its possible vulnerability to modern anti-aircraft weapons, the answer is to degrade the enemy's anti-aircraft defenses before employing the A-10s .

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    tinbucket likes this.
  16. Rentacop

Trading a drone for a vehicle may not be as economical as a few rounds of 30mm AP . Also, a piloted aircraft isn't dependent on a central remote control station that might get knocked out .

17. Rentacop

It may have been a mistake to retire the SR-71 . The Secretary of Defense at that time didn't like it because it didn't carry bombs . Sort of like when Hitler insisted on using the ME-262 as a bomber .

18. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Starstreak High Velocity Missile.jpg
    Its difficult to degrade shoulder launched anti-aircraft missiles, that a individual can use to bring down a multi million aircraft, the A10 would be a easy target. Missiles Like the one designed and built in Belfast for example, it not of the heat seeking type so unlike the stinger flares wont help.

locutus likes this.
  19. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I could not agree more.:cool: I am speaking from some experience, but my salvation was the A1-E, but the concept is the same. :D

20. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

RJF22553 likes this.