1. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I am thinking about getting my conceal carry permit and am looking for a gun that I can carry with me predominantly in the vehicle with me more than anything, but also to have at home in a drawer so overall size of the weapon isn't an issue. I have a 9mm, but I am curious of what people think of that as a self defense style weapon? I am considering buying something bigger, nothing fancy, just something that I can have with me for extreme circumstances. Anybody care to shed any light on the situation for me? Thanks for your help.

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

In my opinion, a good reliable 9mm pistol loaded with quality JHP ammo is all you need. What you may lose in caliber you more than make up in capacity.

While some may prefer a larger caliber, a well placed 9mm or two will get the job done.

Regardless of which ammo you choose, shot placement is always the critically important factor.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

9mm works. If it didn't, it wouldn't be here. Its not my first choice, but that doesn't really matter. For HD you can't go wrong picking up a shotgun to keep around the house.

4. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I got all kidns of good stuff aroudn the house. hahahaha I got a Mini 14 with a 20 and 30rd clip, a semi auto shotgun. lol A guy was telling me a story about gettign robbed at a rest stop the other day and it just got me thinking about protecting my family a little more.

I do have the ability to reload some good 9mm rounds, what would be a good home defense style bullet to use?

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Are you proficient with what you have?

If you are "yeah, maybe", or "kinda", or "not really", then get proficient.

It is better to have one platform that you can work without looking, than to have numerous platforms that you have to adjust your muscle memory for.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

I don't know anything about reloading, but I suspect just about any good expansion type (hollow point) would do. How much powder to load it with, someone else would have to help you with that.

FWIW, my .357 magnum rounds are loaded with hornady xtp 158 grain I believe. I really don't even know how these effect a soft target, but I've got six of em at any given moment.

7. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

Any good quality hollowpoint (Gold Dots, XTP, etc.) in the
    125gr weight should get the job done nicely.

8. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

Good point. Maybe I oughta shoot a little more with it and get handy with it, load a good bullet in it, and get used to it a little bit.

It's an older Smith and Wesson 9mm that my dad used when he was a deputy a million years ago. I've fired a few boxes of shells through it, but I have about 300rd of brass at home and a buddy with a progressive reloader that would let me load some stuff. I could get some good bullets and load up a few hundred to practice with before I decide if I need to get something bigger.

9. kcolg

kcolg New Member

10. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

I am partial of course but I like the .40 cal. Not as big as the .45, but bigger than the 9 mm. Best of both worlds. I recommend a H&K USP Series, but like I said I'm partial...

11. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Glock 26, perfect answer to your question and I dont like glocks but it due the job.

A 3 inch 1911 is perfect for self-defense if you want something with a little more punch.

12. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

Right now I will probably just carry the 9mm that I have, but my dream pistol would be a 10mm. I have a buddy who has one and I really like shooting it. Plus, it is just something a little different for funsies. hahaha

13. jshahan

jshahan New Member

I have to agree w the Glock 26. I, on the other hand, am a big Glock fan so my answer may be a bit biased. Full mag capacity of 10+1 which is increased by one or two with a minimal mag ext. - not that you'll need that much but it is certainly a confidence booster. You won't find a more reliable brand as a whole (google "Glock torture test") and the 26 is a great platform. The Gen4 is especially comfortable in my hand.

14. jshahan

jshahan New Member

Not to mention, as you already may know, the 9mm is cheap to run at the range vs a 10 or .45.

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Might have missed it but what flavor of 9mm do you have?
    The 10mm is a great round but you know you have to pay for them, right :rolleyes:

16. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

Yeah, the 10's are spendy to shoot but I got a buddy with all the stuff to reload so it wouldn't be too bad in the long run I guess.

I have a Model 59 Smith and Wesson. It was my dad's gun back when he was a Deputy a million years ago. I've only put a few rounds through it. Been more of a rifle guy to this point in my life, never had a lot of use for pistols. Then a guy I met a few weeks ago was telling me a story about how some guys tried to rob him at a rest stop. The realized he was older and in tough shape, and they saw the "Disabled Vet" license plate. What they didn't know is he was a retired Navy Seal. They didn't fare so well and then when they got a second wind, they didn't like his 45 he was carrying either. Bottom line, I have 2 small kids and a wife and we do a lot of traveling to visit family or go shoot archery tournaments or going hunting and I feel I should do whatever I can to protect them.

I also have an Ruger 357 revolver that my dad used to hunt. It has 3 different barrel lengths you can put on. It has the long one on right now "I think 6 inch" but it has a 4" and either a 2 or 3" I could put on it too. But for carrying, I kind of prefer to have a bottom feeder, and that is strictly personal preference.