9mm vs .40 s&w

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by clr8ter, Jun 23, 2011.

1. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

OK, I chose 40 a long time ago over 9mm. At one point, everybody was saying 9mm doesn't have the stopping power. I can't help but think now 9 is a wuss caliber. HOWEVER, 9 tends to have WAY more capacity, everyone seems to say it's cheaper, and now people are saying 9 isn't that bad in the stopping Dept.

Anyone have any opinions on this? If there is another thread that discusses it, (a search didn't turn up any), let me know.

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I don't think you searched hard enough. This has been discussed ad nauseum previously. :rolleyes:

In a nutshell... take your pick. They are both effective rounds with proper training and practice.

3. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

9mm has come a long way in the past 10 years the slugs perform a lot better but you have to do your part too. I personally don't carry 9mm unless it's +P+ ammo or in a 357 Sig which uses 9mm diameter slugs.

[​IMG]

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

step one: forget the myth of stopping power

step two: find a style of defensive handgun you find comfy in the largest caliber you can control, it should be near 100% reliable as possible

step three: practice until you are very fast and accurate and know the firearm inside and out.

stoppping power is a bullsht myth invented decades ago to trick people into favoring on gun over another.

5. noylj

noylj Member

Put a 9x19, .38 Super, .40S&W, 10mm Auto, and .45Auto next to each other and see which one you think is more effective.
    Then look at power factor and which you think is more effective.
    Then decide if you need to penetrate several layers of clothe, thus making almost all HPs ineffective.
    Then, find a gun you like and whatever cartridge it takes, you will be able to find some effective ammunition for it (unless you drop below .380 Auto into .32 and .25 territory).
    I can not imagine my ever needed more than 8 shots, so most of the guns like come in a large caliber that takes one in the chamber and 7-8 in the magazine.
    I won't be in shoot-outs or gang attacks or surrounding my attacking savages. I can not imagine getting into a tactical situation that would require more than two 12-gauge buckshot loads and 8-9 .45 Auto rounds.
    Rather than sweating this stuff, practice until you can hit center of mass at 5 yards from the hip and center of mass at 15 yards concentrating ONLY on the target. Then, you might actually HIT something--which is more than most bad guys and cops seem capable of.

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

well i have a xd 40, and am waiting for my sr9c. i used the beretta 92 in the military... personally i like the 40.. seems to leave a bigger hole in my targets.. and has made it around thru 3.75 inches of solid wood... i pulled out all my slugs from the 4th 1 inch board i was shooting. but 9mm ammo does seem to be a few bucks cheaper..... shot my friends 44 mag the other day.. i think that would win in a gunfight. lol.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  7. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, I don't think I searched enough, either......Those were the responses I was expecting, though. Sounds good.....Fortunately, the gun I like, the Beretta 90 Series, comes in both.

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

If you are not to far away, you can try a few of mine. 9x19, 10mm, .45acp

9. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

You know this based on what? :confused:

OP, All of them cause damage...the question is how much. I am a believer that a bigger caliber (on same category i.e. regular, magnum, etc.) will do more. Factor cost, recoil, accuracy, etc. and base your choice on that.

Myself, I prefer .40 cal but will not feel inadequately armed with 9mm especially when loaded with my favorite ammo (Federal HST and Winchester Ranger T).

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The Beretta will offer good handling and performance for either round. I favor both 9mm and 45acp over 40sw, because I can put follow up shots on target faster with either. A Beretta 92/M9 will find its way back to the target very quickly, and in a defense situation that's a critical factor to consider.

If you shoot well and choose good ammunition (127gr +P+ Rangers or 147gr Fed HST for 9mm), it is highly unlikely that you'll ever find good cause to feel underpowered. But it's also highly unlikely that a 40sw in the same circumstances would fail to have enough capacity for your needs.

Or you could kill two birds with one stone and look at an XDm40, with 16+1 capacity and a frame size/shape that's not so far off the Beretta. It is a little plasticky though.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  11. Sonnypie

Sonnypie New Member

This is an offer you should NOT refuse.
    And a damn nice offer!

I am of the opinion you need to focus not on ballistics, but your accuracy.
    If you can be X-ring consistently, you could stop anything with a head shot.
    Because you might find a bad guy with a Bullet proof vest underneath.
    Then your center of mass shooting won't stop the threat, merely knock it down.
    Hense, be good enough to stop the threat.
    So a cannon isn't going to save you if it misses. But a .22 to the brain most likely will.
    My Step-son has a 9mm, a .40, and a .45ACP. He sez the .40 is a real accurate firearm.
    I've shot his Taurus .45ACP and it is a wrist hurter. I guess you'd call it a sub-compact.
    Where my 1911 Government Model is far more accurate for both of us.
    I have a few firearms, not a mass. I'd rather be a good shot with a few, than a terrible shot with a hundred.

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I went through the 92 series, they always end up w/ issues. The frames always get peened from recoil, always! Granted, I run them hard, but nothing else I've owned has had the issues the 92 series had. I prefer the Sig now. I've gone back to single stack handguns. 7 or 8 is more then enough in a good handgun.
    A Military spec pistol w/ 124gr Ranger Nato spec ammo will penetrate clothing, and bring a big hurt. 135gr Expanding FMJ, or protected point HP's also really help in the PP catagory.

13. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I'm not going to go so far as to call this bad advise, but let's keep something in mind here...those "X-rings" probably aren't moving and your pulse probably ain't pounding as you're shooting the center out of a sheet of paper.

But should you choose a caliber your shoot significantly better over one with impressive ballistics? Absolutely.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  14. vjf915

vjf915 New Member

And the other problem is....well it's a Springfield XD :D

15. WDbeej

WDbeej New Member

You could then take those statements and add the fact that you are more likely to get that 'magic bullet' shot if you have more lead flying on a moving target. To clarify; you are more than twice as likely to get a head shot on a moving target if you have 17-18 chances, than if you have only 7-8 shots.

Of course, you could have a few more magazines with you. Even then, I'd rather have 51 chances with three magazines in my M&P9, than 21 chances with a 45. But that is me, I will probably need the thirty extra rounds. :rolleyes:

16. vjf915

vjf915 New Member

Practice with what you carry, that's what is important. You could have 300 rounds, won't do you a damn bit of good if you can't hit your target. I would rather have one magazine in a gun I'm comfortable and familiar with.

17. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Agreed. I'm always open to shooting something new. Never shot a 45. I have shot the other 2, not necessarily in the guns you have, though. I don't think I'm too far away. Maybe an hour or so. I also have 4th of July week off.

18. Sonnypie

Sonnypie New Member

Hello....
    X ring is figuratively speaking. I'm trying VERY hard to be as PC as it seems I need to be.
    My point is accuracy.
    Personally I rarely shoot paper, even when sighting in, and I rarely shoot specific yardages. I do shoot random targets at varying distances. When I am satisfied I can hit what I aim at, I am confident.
    Too many of you seem to read things in that simply are not there. :confused:
    Accuracy is not "Spray and Pray" shooting. It is being able to call your shot routinely.
    But, uh, whatever.

19. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

I'm a big fan of ammo capacity; the 9mm gets my vote. I have guns in 9mm, .40, and .45...The 9mm is my favorite. I love the light recoil and ammo capacity I get with it. Get some good +p+ ammo and you're all set to deal with anything you need to.

20. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Sorry, off topic question here....why does it say under some people's names, "Banned"? I would assume it to mean they've been kicked off, but I can't help notice sonnypie has posted twice with it under his name.....just curious....