9mm vs 38spl

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by MA2LA, Dec 24, 2010.

1. MA2LA

MA2LA New Member

I'm looking at a revolver for my soon to be wife and just want to add a wheel gun to the collection. I've been looking at the Taurus 905 that shoots 9mm.. I keep a lot of 9mm on hand since i have quite a few guns in that caliber so it makes sense and its cheep but are there any draw backs of it compared to a 38

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's a Taurus. :(

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm not a Taurus fan. I'm also not a fan of revolvers in auto calibers. I find the moon clips to be combersome and don't lend themselves to concealed carry. If you're going to add a wheel gun to your collection get a real one. If you don't have one at all, go get a 357 magnum. Your wife can shoot 38s in it and you'll have a gun that every one should have in their collection. If you don't own a 357, you should really buy one. A Ruger GP100, SP101, S&W 686 are a few of the many examples available.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

what cane said.

9mm is also a rimless case designed for semi atomatic pistols meaning you will have to use moon clips.

my opinion other than a negative one involving taurus is that if the gun is for her let her pick it out. worst thing you can possibly do is pick a gun for your wife/girlfriend without their input.

if she is new to guns let her shoot a variety of guns. take her to a range that rents so she can try em out. she may surprise ya and end up liking something unexpected.

biggest diservice the gun industry does for women is market small pocket pistols to women because in industry think women are small so they need small under powered under sized guns. in general micro guns that are aimed for the female market are extremely unpleasent and difficult to shoot well. women buy these pieces of crap because they are "for women" and do not continue in shooting sports due to an unpleasent first experience.

as for the 9mm vs 38spl they are pretty much the same pwer wise. 9mm is a little faster but with much lighter bullets. 38spl is a bit slower but heavier bullet. this is a generalization. 9mm gets the nod when its in a semi-auto but in a revolver 38 is the better round.

never buy a revolver chambered just for 38spl. always get 357magnum. you can shoot 38 special out of a 357. you get a stronger gun that is more versatile. in my opinon there is no real use for the 38special chambered revolvers.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I googled it, the results were less than inspiring. Do you have a plan "B"?

6. orangello

orangello New Member

I have been very happy with my fun-to-shoot Ruger GP100 in .357/.38spcl. There are some lower-powered .38 rounds available for those with sensitive joints & such. Mine has the 6" barrel which limits carry options but tames recoil well.

7. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Consider one of these S&W 442s. It's nice.

[​IMG]

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I'm sorry but I must 2nd that :eek:

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I wholeheartly 2nd that :D
    If it wer'nt for the wife moving to a Ruger SR9C she'd still be carring a 442 with CT grips :cool:

10. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Crimson trace on a 442. Look out bad guys, here comes the Baddest Wife in the Hood. :cool:

11. SecPro

SecPro New Member

Taurus bad, S&W good!
    Someone echoed allowing her to choose her own firearm. I 2nd that! My wife has shot all the guns I own and the two she loves is the Glock G30 and my 642. Once she learned there was a model with pink grips it was added to my by list. There opinions are all that matter in the end because they'll be the ones carrying and shooting it.

12. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Hood? Probably in about four states.:D

13. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

The .38 special has much more potential in a revolver than a 9mm. Not to mention to use the 9mm in a revolver requires an additional component (moon clips) due to its tapered casing.

As long as the firearm/frame will allow the higher pressure The .38 special can be loaded to much hotter ballistics than the 9mm can.

The .38 Special has been used in revolvers for over 100 years and probably will for another 100. WHY?

Because it works.

14. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

You are going to spend about 5 bucks more for a box for practice .38 ammo,but I think it's worth it,one less step for her to mess with when practicing with it.

15. outlaw517

outlaw517 New Member

905 fan

I use to own a 905. I sold it for a stubid reson and wish everyday that I did not sell it. They are a great gun and I like the 9mm alot in a revolver. When I have the money and find one Ill have another. Moon clips were not bad in them and never had 1 proplem with it.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive owned several revolvers over the years 22lr/wmr 45lc 44mag 357mag. the 22 was a ruger single six the 45lc was a ruger blackhawk 44 a sw mod29 and the 357 the only one i really liked and still have is the colt python.

i mainly shoot 38spl out of the python. the 357mag is like the 458winmag just from a versatility standpoint. there is such a huge selection of bullets and ranges of powder weights that makes it the king of revolver calibers.

i really like cartridges that are capable of handling very diverse roles. the 9mm is pretty much a one trick pony in that its only redeaming factor is high cap mags in auto-loaders. take it out of that limited enviro and just about any other caliber outdoes it with ease.

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

If you want a revolver, get a 357.

18. CajunBass

CajunBass New Member

I wouldn't say don't get a Taurus, the ones I've owned worked just fine. I just don't see any sense in getting one chambered for a cartridge designed for a semi-auto. An ingenious solution to a non-existent problem.

Get a 38.

Oh, I'd say the same thing about a semi chambered for 38 special. Sure, it can be done, but why?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  19. JonM

JonM Moderator

the reason a lot of us are anti taurus is the long history of hit or miss quality control. if you get a good tauus they are good guns but there are enough bad ones that slip through their qc checks to make it worh while looking at other makers.

20. CajunBass

CajunBass New Member

That's fine with me. I said I haven't had any problems with the ones I've owned. Your mileage may varry.