9mm thoughts

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jhowell5900, Aug 7, 2012.

1. jhowell5900

jhowell5900 New Member

I have a friend who Is interested in his first firearm. Pretty sure he wants a 9mm. He likes the feel of my Walther p99 in his hand, but hasn't shot it. We are going to the range tomorrow so he can. My other thoughts were the beretta px4 or maybe something in the Springfield line. He doesn't want to spend more than $500. Would love thoughts and other suggestions. Thanks!

2. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

You have either Ruger Sr9 or the P95 that are under $500. Maybe the Glock 19 might be under $500.

3. mdauben

mdauben New Member

He should take a look at the Glock 17 or 19, or the S&W Sigma, too. All these can be found for less than $500 (on line of nowhere else).

4. TNBlackSheep

TNBlackSheep New Member

Springfield XD is a great line and can be found for under $500...IMO, that would be the best option. Ruger, Smith, Glock, Walther, would all be good options too, but Springfield is my #1.

5. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

The best thing to do is to get out and try them ALL and see which firearm he is the most proficient with. What is best for him might not be what's best for me or you etc.

Get you to a range, let them know what his price range is and have him rent, borrow, use, any and everything in that price range. You never know what you might find.

In terms of brands, all listed are very good. Sigs are good as well, you may be able to find a good CPO Sig for that price...But if I were shopping for my 1st firearm, I would do what I said and not buy anything until I've tried at least half dozen or so different guns.

6. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

His best thing to do is go to a range and rent as many 9mm's as he can and shoot them all as well as any you may have. Let him decide based on his own experience and which one he shoots the best.

There are many good 9mm's available under $500. The best gun for him is the gun he shoots best. My personal opinion is the XD but that is my opinion based on my experience. I shoot the XD pretty well and it feels like a very good fit in my hand. Friends don't let friends buy Glock's, again just my opinion. There are millions of happy Glock owners. I'm just not one of them.

7. Olympus

Olympus New Member

My advice would be to let him do the leg work and research since he's the one that wants the gun.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Why not get him on FTF so he can give and receive input directly? ;)

9. tshoot91

tshoot91 New Member

I own a px4 storm. I will recommend it to anyone

10. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

The ranges by me do not rent guns. So, he might run into that problem. My first gun was my Ruger P95 9mm. I held so many guns trying to find a good fit. The Ruger felt real good in my hands and I bought. Shot it at the range minutes after I bought it and never looked back!!!

11. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

If he want's a n9ne why not check out the super mega nine .357 sig? I get 1450 ft/s and 585lbs out of a 125gr speer bonded gold dot in my .357

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Used 9mms should easily be available for less than 500$

I got a used Beretta 92 for $375.

More important is trying a potload of

pistols till he finds one which fits.

13. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

I just got a ruger sr9c it's my be cc I love it got it. For 475 out the door

Attached Files:

14. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Haha I use same holster to

15. Big-Nasty

Big-Nasty New Member

For a beginner I would say a Beretta 92, Taurus 92, or Glock 17. All are great guns that kick ass. Who wouldn't want a 9 that holds a hell of a lot of rounds. I have a nick name for them.....
    "Hollywood guns" you rarely run out of ammo :)

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Obviously, a good used SIG, Beretta, Glock, etc will fill the bill.

But don't forget the CZ75. Heavy, but one helluva fine gun. and not all that expensive.

17. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I was told today that my CZ75 spo1 tactical will be here next week. I'm a kid again and Christmas is next week

18. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Very nice!

19. CaptAhab

CaptAhab New Member

I have two Beretta PX4 one full size in 9mm. I love the gun, fits my hand perfectly. Good shooter and the 9mm ammo is cheap to run.