9mm snubbie. Does it make any sense?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Franciscomv, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Summer is coming to South America, and I've been stuck at home with a knee injury thinking about a new addition to my warm weather arsenal.

I've been looking at a Ruger SP101 in 9mm. I love two things about it, first the reload speed using full moon clips (much faster than a speed loader!) and second that spare ammo is much easier to carry since loaded clips are a lot smaller than loaded speed loaders (both .38 and .357 rounds are longer than 9mm and my HKS speed loaders are bulkier than full moon clips). Speed strips aren't an option for me, I'm just too slow with them.

So this little revolver looks like a great option for the brutal South American heat. I'm just wondering what sort of performance to expect from 9mm in such a short barrel.

What do you guys think?

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I had a CZ 2075 RAMI and a Springfield EMP, both in 9mm. The short barrels made them very handy and they were excellent at 25yds. I figure 30 yards or so is max for accuracy.

Why not go with the SP101 in .357? It's a lot more horsepower. Is ammunition availability an issue there?

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Francisco, leave it to you to come up with the first positive thing about the 9 mike mike; it's short! [​IMG]

You do know what J. M. Browning said when asked why he went to double stack in the development of the P-35?

They asked for it in 9mm. [​IMG]

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

You picked a great revolver in the SP101 but personally I can't find a single reason to buy it in anything but 357 Mag. I assume you can get 38/357 ammo there, if not I guess the 9 could work.

5. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

I love two things about it, first the reload speed using full moon clips (much faster than a speed loader!) and second that spare ammo is much easier to carry since loaded clips are a lot smaller than loaded speed loaders (both .38 and .357 rounds are longer than 9mm and my HKS speed loaders are bulkier than full moon clips).
    Franciscomv

I can see your point, and it is a good one. IF reloads are a high concern. For a principle carry gun being able to reload and reload speed can be highly important. For a hide out, last ditch, up close and personel, oh crap gun, reload speed might not be as important. If the choice is one cylinder of .357 magnum or one cylinder of 9mm and a reload, and we limit the conversation to likely real world defensive shooting encounters, I would go with the .357 magnum.

6. utf59

utf59 New Member

FWIW, there are a number of .357 revolvers that accept moon clips, even though they aren't necessary. So if you prefer the .357/.38 special and were only looking at the 9mm because of being able to reload quickly with moon clips...

7. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

.357 ammo is available here, it's a bit more expensive than 9mm but not by much. So, no, availability is not an issue.

I'm on the lookout for a 3" SP101 in .357, too. Hard to find around here...

Finding excuses for a new gun is hard work!

Seriously, though, I love snubbies for pocket carry in the summer and when my clothes don't allow anything else to be carried comfortably, but those damned speed loaders are just too bulky.

Let's forget about .357 just for a second. How would 9mm performed compared to .38 special? I mean, if they are about the same then 9mm has some advantages thanks to the extra ammo being easier to carry and reloads being faster.

In a perfect world I'd get a S&W 625, but it's not available in Argentina. :mad:

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I don't think there's all that much difference between .38 and 9mm in self defense ammunition.

I just hate the idea of fiddling with moon clips.

9. WDB

WDB New Member

It might be me but I would rather have a snub nose 357 that can use 38 ammo than a 9mm whell gun. The 38 and the 9mm are close in preformance but add in you can fire 38 or 357:eek: That's the pistol for me if I want to carry a wheel gun.

10. crossfire

crossfire New Member

Given the barrel length and intended range, there isn't that much difference in a 9mm and a .357 Magnum snubby EXCEPT the Magnum has a LOT more muzzle flash and is more difficult to control. The Magnum loses a lot of velocity in barrels under 4", but muzzle flash increases as the barrel gets shorter. The 9mm snubby also has a longer effective barrel length due to the shorter cartridge.
    Full moon clips are hands down the fastest way to reload a double-action revolver. Ask any speed shooter and particularly Jerry Miculek.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  11. MB44

MB44 New Member

Assuming that you need it for concealed carry, you are always looking for compromises when it comes to this issue. I was in a similar situation, and the question you need to ask is: Will you need more that 6 bullets. In my case I evaluated that the answer could be yes, so I discarted the option to use my Colt King Cobra, and bought a semi-auto, in this case a Sig P250. But that shouldn't necessarily stop you for getting the Ruger. I have guns that I bought just becuase I like them for what they are, and becuase they are fun to shoot. That is one of the reasons I bought my Taurus Raging Bull [.44Mag - 8 3/8"]. But I sure don't use that gun for concealed carry,...

12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

My old karate instructor carried a ruger 9mm revolver. It was an excellent weapon, easy to reload and accurate enough for the job. Very concealable too!

13. tekarra

tekarra New Member

Yes it does. The 9mm is better ballistically out of a short barrel than the 38. On the other hand the recoil of a 9mm snubby is sharper than that of a 38. One has to consider the availability of ammunition in the lcocation as well. The use of moon clips has been debated, ad infinitum, so you have to settle which side of the fence you are on. For me, I have no problem using moon clips. The down side of the 9mm snubby is that good ones are difficult to find and are often expensive.

14. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

NO!

This type of weapon makes absolutely no sense.

9mm = high capacity, quick firing pistol. Not low capacity slow firing revolver.

This is God's will. . . let it be.

15. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

My favourite high capacity semiauto is a .45! ;)

I've been hearing mixed opinions about moon clips, luckily a friend is willing to lend me his .357/9mm FN Barracuda to use for a while and decide whether I like them or not.

16. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Sure, but that's .45 ACP A PISTOL ROUND intended for use as in a magazine fed, fast cycling weapon.

Not a slow firing REVOLVER.

9mm (and .45 ACP) = pistol
    .357 = revolver (in practical cases)

It's too bad that Ruger came out with this line of revolvers. I'm sure they are quality. . . and apparently they've sold it. . . ok then. . . sigh. . .

17. crossfire

crossfire New Member

Revolvers are slow? Watch Jerry Miculek....
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uisHfKj2JiI]YouTube - Fast Shoot[/ame]
    Six shots...reload...six shots...all on target...2.99 seconds.
    Bob Munden can draw from the holster and get off two shots, on two different targets, with a Colt SAA in .02 of a second.
    The shooter might be slow, the weapon isn't.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  18. Lowrider

Lowrider New Member

reload?

I question how big a factor reload time should be in the selection of a regular carry weapon. It seems to me that the need for a reaload in a real world senerio is highly unlikely. BTW, this is why I carry .45. In my estimation, you are going to shoot few rounds in a self defence situation, so make it big ones.

19. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

You reference people that shoot all day, everyday. I serious doubt anyone here has that luxury. We were being practical.

Just watched: There are a few people in the world that can do that. Even they can't do it all the time. C'mon.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  20. crossfire

crossfire New Member

I am being practical. Your statement implies that a semi-auto is inherently faster to put the bullets downrange than a revolver. Yes, I referenced very talented professionals; but I did that to point out that it takes an extremely proficient shootist to create any difference in the mechanical speed of a double action revolver vs. a semi-auto and that difference is measured in thousand's of a second. In the hands of a non-professional handgunner, the difference is non-existent. When it comes to the first shot on target, again, there is no difference at all. It's the shooter's proficiency, not the weapon itself, that is the real difference.