9mm Revolver recommendations

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Jimski, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Jimski

Jimski Member

I'm considering getting a 9mm revolver so that I can share ammo with my semi-auto. I'm not seeing to many choices. Would like to find one that has a long enough barrel to be somewhat accurate. The Ruger Blackhawk looks interesting. Any recommendations?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You are not seeing a lot of choices for a good reason- there are not many choices.

The 9mm Parabellum was not designed to be a revolver cartridge. There have been a few attempts to design a revolver that would handle them, some worked, many did not.

Sort of like finding a dog that plays chess. The wonder is not that he plays well, it is that he plays at all. Getting that rimless cartridge to eject can be a challenge.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

While Rugers are great guns rumor has those 9 mm convertibles being rather inaccurate when using 9mm. YMMV

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I own a 357 mag convertible. The 9mm cylinder is OK at self defense range. If you really want a 357 magnum the 9mm cylinder is worth the extra $60. If you really want a 9mm buy a Glock.

5. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Yes, I'm waiting on a charter Pitbull myself, waiting about. 6 months now...long ago S&W produced one (547) in 9mm, prior to the. 9 shot comp. Gun they just built for Jerry M.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talkh

6. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Cheaper Than Dirt has Taurus 905 model's; but, they're 2" Barrel's, both in Blue and Stainless Steel.

They have a S&W 986 5" barrel, 7 rounds, out of stock; but, show me price tag over 1K for the performance center revolver.

7. Mercator

Mercator New Member

IMO you may get bored, sooner than you think, with shooting the same ammo from two different handguns. Commonality of caliber is a valid point, but you are not a police department. Plus, putting eggs in different baskets may help you during the next ammo shortage. The 38 Special was resilient during the last panic.

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The concept is decent when executed well. S&W and Ruger used to both make snub nosed revolvers in 9mm. They used moon clips that held a cylinder worth of ammo and made reloading fast for a revolver. The 9mm case doesn't hold a ton of powder and seems fine in a short barreled revolver. The short cases ejected fully even with the short ejector rod of a snub nose, unlike some .38 spcl and .357 mag cases.

The only real accuracy advantage the longer barrel gives is longer sight radius. I'd love to find a good price on a 9mm sp101, and a good source for the moon clips or some 9mm rimmed cases.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  9. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

That's nice. I don't give CTD any business when they can sell 22 Ammo at 3X the cost. I don't have the $ for the Smith. I saw the Charter first, and had a 357 Bulldog many years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talkh

10. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I have not purchase anything lately from online regarding ammo.

The cash factor is the same situation. Locally for the Pitbull was about another $40 above what CTD is offering.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

the issue with 9mm out of a revolver is the barrels are typically geared towards 38spl/357mag. while the diameter is the same the bearing surface is vastly different.

you would have to handload and use 38/357 bullets and at that point you might as well just use 38's or 357's...

that being said, the ruger vaquero/blackhawks are the best of the lot.

12. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I'm not a fan of the moon/half moon concept. It's just something else to loose or break!

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

There is a 40 cal pitbull they are asking $548 for it. Buds gun shop had rhe 9mm model in stock recently.
    http://www.hyattgunstore.com/charter-arms-pitbull-rimless-40-s-w-revolver.html

14. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Get a Medusa... 20+ calibers, no moon clips or changing cylinders... :)

15. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

i was waiting for Trez to mention the Medusa.... :p

16. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

s&w 547. best 9mm ever made. moon clips not required.
    this is my ruger speed six m209.
    2nd best 9mm made. needs moons.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I ran across this video and it is pretty down on the 9mm revolver or at least the Taurus.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6h-s3aVpEI[/ame]

18. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

if you understand the reason why 9mm revolvers were made, youd understand why they arent popular here. but overseas and on small 3rd world island nations...it was the 1st line of defense for leo forces for decades.

may i remind you, like steak and potato is the main american meal in usa, so was 22/38/45 for pistols until this globalization thing took off. 9mm was around...but 38 was king.
    now 9mm has worked its way into american culture and the military so the concept has penetrated usa. dont be surprised if you see a re surge and return to these inexpensive guns in america. i feel they made them too soon here and it didnt take off. if they reconsidered them now...it may take off, because face it...semi's have gone sky high. like any good capitalist environment, you need an alternative. the revolver is the answer to budgeting and simplicity/functon. bullet goes in, close, pull trigger. no fumbling and needing to know a bunch of rituals to load.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014