9mm Recommendations on Budget

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by ssmith3351, Dec 29, 2009.

1. ssmith3351

ssmith3351 New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm "in the market" for a 9mm. My use will be mainly a range gun for practice and I plan on putting a lot of rounds through it. I'm on a budget...

So, recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I've been looking at Taurus, likely the 24/7 series of some sort and the Ruger SR9. I have Glocks, love 'em but would like to go with another manufacture just because.

I don't like/want a hammer based 9mm, sticker fired is preferred. What am I missing? I'd like to keep this new gun under $450.

Yes, the "save for gun" is the Springfield XDm 9mm.

Thanks,

~Steve:eek:

2. Franchise

Franchise New Member

Used CZ75 or new Bersa Pro. The CZ is a Superior gun but around $500 and up. The Bersa starts around $350. These are really nice for the money.

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I am going to have to give you my standard answer: Ruger P95.
    Price is right where you are looking and it is a Workhorse

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Spend another $50 or keep your eyes open and shop around and you can get an XD. Pick your flavor, sub compact 3", Service - 4" or tactical 5". You won't be unhappy if you go with an XD. Stop by a gun shop and fondle one for a little while and see what you think. Shoot it if they'll let you.

5. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

That's my take too. About $275-350 for new/like new p95 in my area, and comes with two 15-round mags. One of the better values out there for sure.

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

You can get a new XD for just a tad more or save about $100 and get a ruger p series. :)

7. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

I don't know what part of the world you are in, but if you look, you can probably find one of the sigpro line use around that price. Sig makes outstanding stuff. Ruger is reliable too. I have no personal experience with cz, but have good reliability from others. You can also find smith stuff used in that price range.

8. ssmith3351

ssmith3351 New Member

Looking at a Ruger SR9 tomorrow. We'll see how it handles. I really like the looks of the XDm series, but at those prices I'll just get a Glock. My local dealer tells me that Glock will have some new model 17 and 22s out in 2010. Can't wait to see what they've done to either.

Thanks for the input everyone.

~Steve

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

never cheap out on a gun if it is intended for self defense. if you dont have the money for a really good one stick the money in a savings account till you do.

10. Shihan

After you shoot that SR9, don't think you'll want a Glock. I believe you will enjoy the fit of the SR9, try it with the reversible backstrap in both positions.

11. ssmith3351

ssmith3351 New Member

I have two Glocks and love the feel and handling of both. Just thought it would be a good idea to try another manufacture.

12. ssmith3351

ssmith3351 New Member

9mm ordered!

Thanks everyone for the input.

I looked over a Springfield XDm, Ruger P95, an SR9 (actually shot it), and an S&W MP this afternoon. I ordered an SR9. Love the feel and the look of the gun. The P95 was awesome as well. The Ruger just felt solid and both were very accurate.

~Steve

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  13. Westy

Westy New Member

I have a couple Rugers, a P95 and a SR9. The SR9 is now my carry piece. Good choice!

14. Shihan

Just as I suspected! Knew you would like the SR9. Congrats on the new acquisition.

15. Hollander

Hollander New Member

If you look hard enough you can find a new Sig Pro 2022 in 9mm. Gun is a 15+1, smooth trigger, night sights, and an all around good gun.

16. CodyWalkerJr

CodyWalkerJr New Member

Dude!! i got my XD9 subcompact for 429$ plus tax........search for a bargain!!
    I love my springfield i would highly recommend it

it comes with 2 magazines... one is 13+1 and the other is 16+1

17. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Glad to hear you found a gun that you like. How about some pics and a range report?

18. Esteban

Esteban New Member

Good to hear that you have found one. I have a friend who has a Ruger & I have never seen another 9mm shoot as well, with ANY ammo as his. He can mix all types & brands of ammo in the same magazine & it never fails !

19. Hobo Bob

Hobo Bob New Member

Well, I'll be the oddball, I guess. I carried a XDm in 40 cal for a year, but was unhappy with it's size. It was great to have all of those rounds, but the gun was just too big for some of the clothes I wear.

Three months ago, I picked up a S&W M&P Compact in 9mm. I LOVE this gun. It came with 3 mags (2 extended, 1 flush). Has night sights that work, grip palm inserts to adjust to my large hand (actually long fingers) for better trigger control, and so far it's digested any load I've tried, whether hand load or factory. The guns more accurate than I am, and best of all....It fits my body and style of carry.

20. group17

group17 New Member

I second Hollander.
    I just found a slightly used Sig PS 2022 for $300 at my LGD. Can't beat Sig quality.