9mm or all ammo availability

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by tinbucket, May 17, 2020.

1. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

I have maybe 500 rounds in stock + plenty of components but unable to set up new bench as of yet.
    SIL and Daughter decided, finally to get their carry permits. they need practice and use 9mm.
    So they did not find any in town yesterday.
    Looking on the Internet today, I see that most don't have any and several will sell a thousand rounds but not fewer.One or two for a box of 50 at 12-14.00 but nearly 18.0 shipping.
    All the ones that say free shipping say out or won't process the sale, nter the order and that is as far as it goes.
    Is it a Covid 19 thing this weekend and tomorrow they can order 100-200 rounds??

2. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Try Georgia Arms, remanufactured but usually pretty good. They'll sell it to you in a nice surplus 30 cal. ammo can and yes their price has risen but their shipping has always been reasonable.

3. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Both Covid and Politics. Where have you been in the last two plus months? We are having the worst ammo shortage ever right now. If you don't have ammo now, you will have to pay their price period. Unless, perhaps after the next election.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have an Academy Sports around they might have some or will deliver to the store. Wont ship to home right now. Brownells has some Federal syntec available. you might try Freedom Munitions. Freedom Munitions

Shopfox likes this.
  5. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

Academy will often ship for free (or $5) on orders over $25.

Edit to add: just went to academy.com, and it looks like they aren't shipping ammo due to demand/covid-19.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Oldoutlaw likes this.
  6. Shopfox

I'd go with the 1,000 and split it... I had to unfollow Mrgunsngear due to excessive spending on "deals"... 2020-05-17_20.55.18.jpg

SRK97 and towboater like this.
  7. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Same with some others.
    I do not understand this. Why would gun owners wait until now to need ammo. Ammo has been at Historical lows for 12 years plus. Did no one learn anything about past shortages??? Many did not and here they come once again wanting to find cheap ammo.

Now, we have the worst shortage ever. So, gun owners now want to get a CC Permit and need to practice. OK, buy Premium ammo for range fodder I guess. If you even can.
    Did not Obama running for office convince anyone when ammo disappeared for awhile? Same as when Hillary ran?

I'm seeing this far too often once again. Everyone should have stocked up and kept at least 1000 round case in stock per caliber. Too late now unless you pay the piper!
    Jeesh!

bluez, JTJ, TheDreadnought and 4 others like this.
  8. Leftyfixit

Leftyfixit Member

Strike another reason to reload. I keep an ample supply of gun powder and primers at my bench. I cast bullets for all my pistols so ammo is never in short supply.

sheriffjohn and Shopfox like this.
  9. Shopfox

What's the monetary investment to cast bullets (low volume).

10. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

You can buy 500 coated cast for around 35.00

Shopfox likes this.
  11. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Probably in the neighborhood of $200 to $300 for quality equipment; less (under $100) if you do everything the old fashioned way with a cast iron pot and a ladle. Last I looked lead is about $2 a pound though and it can go quick.

Shopfox likes this.
  12. Shopfox

On some of the bigger bullets (300gr .429), it looks like I'd save maybe $0.20 each bullet. Basically making/using 1,500 bullets to break even. That's a lot of time and a lot of 44 mag and 444 Marlin single shot rifle shooting...

God willing, casting sounds to be a great retirement hobby.

PaBushMan likes this.
  13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

You can get a Lee bottom tap pot for under $100. Then molds and mold handles (one set of handles, many different molds) I cast tumble lube 357 wadcutter- wheelweights, no sizing needed. Like anything in reloading, you can send as little or as much as you like.

As far as fining ammo on line, ammoseek.com
    https://ammoseek.com/ammo/9mm-luger
    One seller has some TULA fairly cheap. Be sure to check shipping charges.

G66enigma, towboater and Shopfox like this.
  14. Leftyfixit

Leftyfixit Member

Your initial investment is for tools, molds, and bullet presses. Around $200.00-300.00 As for lead I don't believe in paying for it when it can be gathered quite cheaply, be it range recovery or other source. Once you have all your tools it's just an investment of time. It is very satisfying, knowing I will not run out of bullets.

15. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

oldoutlaw, et., tell...during past shortage periods one of the rumors floating was it was purposeful and created across the board by the ammo manufacturers to boost MSRP for their product which are produced pennies on the dollar, e.g., aquila 9's box of 300 - 95$ msrp .31$ each. wholesale is around 60$ or .20$/each; aquila 22LR box of 250 - 16$ msrp .06$ each. wholesale is around 10$ or .04$/each.

so cost to manufacture is based on 'volume' and if the manufacture(s) knock off a complete shift of their workforce, they therefore create a shortage causing the price per unit to increase...knowing full well the citizens of this country will snap up their product even at a higher cost!

16. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

As far as Tula 9mm...
    Even though Tula doesnt have a great reputation as a whole their 9mm is very respectable.
    reasonably accurate.. not as light loaded as some other imported economy 9mm either..

Pasquanel likes this.
  17. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

^ Great search tool. Have used it for years.

A number of vendors seem to have some inventories of 9mm, from 50rd packs to 1000rd cases. A decent 1000rd case of 9mm brass 124gr FMJ @ $230-250 isn't bad, all things considered.

bluez likes this.
  18. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

Apparently i live in the right city & in the right state: there is no ammo shortage here.....at all. After the Sandy Hook shooting, you couldn't find 22, 9mm, 45 acp, 233/5.56, or 308/7.62 anywhere for months. Last weekend i hit 3 different gun shops that had plenty of everything in stock, from cheap plinking ammo to high dollar SD & hunting ammo.

Beef on the other hand.....that's a different story.

bluez likes this.
  19. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Notice ammo is available via online sites; however, local box stores and mom and pop shops are either very very low on ammo or out completely. I was at Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday, some self-defense ammo, shotgun ammo, a couple cases of 6.8 grendal and 1 box of 7.62 ammo.

towboater likes this.
  20. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Tom Gresham of Guntalk has been warning us for the last 3 years, this isn't going to last, STOCK UP, buy a box every month or every week, Only shoot 1/2 of what you bought in your last purchase.

I'm a little short on primers, let myself run low, into the primers that I don't like, but maybe this is the sign I need to use them up :)

Shopfox, Bigcountry02 and towboater like this.