9mm or 45

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Mark Koch, Jan 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Maineiak

Maineiak Active Member

So...what does that nice story have to do with hitting hogs with 45ACP 230gr hard ball?

I have hit 2 at close range with 45acp Winchester White box 230gr and both dropped in their tracks. I know that is only 2 so its not a large sample size, but it did the job.

2. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Good for you. Still not the best choice.

locutus and SGWGunsmith like this.

3. Maineiak

Maineiak Active Member

This happened about 15 years ago, my only 2 pistols at the time were a 9mm and a 45acp, so naturally I took my 45acp along for the weekend:)

crash11049 likes this.
  4. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I would have done the same if those were my options. My point is that today we have a lot of really great bullets in just about every caliber that matters. The idea of a heavy FMJ being a solution to hog hunting or SD against bears is just a little dated. That’s all.

crash11049 and Maineiak like this.
  5. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

I've only shot one hog during my early years when my legs were a bit more spry. We went down to Eastern Tennessee to the foothills of the Cumberland Mountains on a September, 4 day run-em-down-with-dogs chase.
    We found a young fella fresh out of the Marine Corps who had the sorriest lookin' flock of hounds that I have EVER seen in my days. All of these dogs had more stitches on their faces than the Frankenstein monster, with one only having one eye left intact. We hired him and his pack of hounds to take us up into the foothills and chase some pigs around. We piled into a four wheel drive vehicle that had bench seats in the back and not one window that wasn't cracked or broken. On the rear bumper he had a mesh platform that he tied three of his dogs to, but the dogs could come in by us sitting on the benches. As that truck rocked back and forth, and bouncing up and down going up these hills the dogs started farting, and man, you have never enjoyed a ride in a four wheel drive unless you've experienced it with three farting dogs that lived on wild bore meat. Precious!
    Once we got to where he thought it would be a good place to start, he turned all three dogs loose. The one that looked like a redbone must of liked me cause that's where he hung. On my left side until the other two struck pig scent. then we were off to the races to catch up with the dogs, who by now had a pig surrounded in a small creek. Man, there was mud, water and dogs flying up and all over the place so the dog handler Tim, tells me to shoot but don't hit my dogs. Geez! I thought at first it might be a good idea to put 'em all out of their misery, with all the stitches they had on their faces and ears that looked like ribbons.
    Anyway, one Speer 240 grain solid nose jacketed .44 magnum bullet through that thick grisel shoulder pad did the trick. The meat was awful. Gamey tasting and tougher than a bronc busters saddle.
    I got a picture around here somewhere of that kill, but can't find it right now.

6. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

Personally, both rounds are great. Technology today makes sure of that.. But I believe it comes down to placement. And that comes with practice regardless of round size. You must practice with your carry!! I cant stress that enough.

7. Glockeyed

Glockeyed New Member

8. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

go with the caliber gun you are most proficient with. 9mm, 45, 40, 38, .. it doesnt really matter. The difference between a 22LR and a 9mm is a conversation worth having on the merits of ballistics but the difference between 9mm and 45.. isn't. That's just my personal feelings about it. I adopted a 9mm platform decades ago.

locutus, Rifling82 and Oldoutlaw like this.
  9. ramjet

ramjet Member

I remember the “good ole days” when 9mm was considered anaemic and the ball .45 was king. Because HPs were unreliable feeders. Or so they say. Lol
    Now we have super sci-fi ammo from both calibers and pistols that can feeds garbage can if needed. Now THATS amazing.

10. MisterMills

MisterMills Well-Known Member

I am getting a 12 gauge riot gun myself, I have had 9mm's and they are great guns in estimation. Just load them up with Federal 9BPLE or Cor Bon and shazam!

But this time around I am going for a $200 Mossberg Maverick for certain. And I am getting a S&W .357 Magnum too, but that is only semi certain.

11. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

I think it's worth mentioning that the original poster started this thread, it was the only post he ever made on this forum and he hasn't been back since the day he posted it

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Rifling82 likes this.
  12. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

But it obviously worked.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  13. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

Lotta truth to that

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't trust any handgun calibre.

But I do trust my marksmanship. I can get it done with a .25 ACP. Having a 9MM with Federal 9BPLE is just frosting on the cake.

Rifling82 and Wambli like this.
  15. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I agree with you about not trusting ANY handgun caliber. But the end of the day it's not about getting it done. It's HOW QUICKLY can you get it done, when encountering a highly motivated threat.

Regardless of how good a shooter you are, does ANYONE here feel comfortable and safe even emptying a full mag of .25s into a 250lb pissed off or high guy wanting to do you harm? I don't. He MIGHT die, but probably not before kicking my *** thoroughly.

Would I feel better dumping a mag of .380s? 9mms? .45s... How about one round of 30-06? I definitely would...

Regardless of what your girlfriend told you... Size matters :D

16. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Thought everyone knew that

17. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

One single .25 or .22LR through the eyeball, or dead center in the forehead will end the fight instantly.

Rifling82 likes this.
  18. Maineiak

Maineiak Active Member

Why are you guys still talking about this? I can't believe it went for 8 pages already! :) lol

austin92 likes this.
  19. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Uhm, yea. Try that on a pissed off charging badger... You better have a buddy with a lot more than a 22 or 25 as backup.

20. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Was just talking today with a guy about following a brown bear into the brush. Once the adrenaline is flowing you have to break major bones or you can shoot them to doll rags and they're still coming for you. Basically they stop when you take out the spinal column.