9mm or 40cal

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by rem870forever, Aug 15, 2012.

1. rem870forever

rem870forever New Member

im getting a new pistol soon, ruger. And im wondering if i should get 9mm or 40cal. I want to know how much more power the 40 has and which is better for home defense also how much cheaper 9mm ammo really is. Also might shoot coyotes coming through my yard which is better for those little sh!ts

2. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I'll post a couple pics out of a book I bought that answer a few questions, I hope its readable.

ForumRunner_20120815_230927.jpg

ForumRunner_20120815_230949.jpg

3. coastguardgunnersmate

coastguardgunnersmate New Member

I am a 40cal guy. I am thinking about buying a 9mm for range use but as far as home defense, I keep a 40 within reach.

4. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

I prefer the .40 but your best thing to do is shoot several different guns in .40 and also in 9mm and decide based on your experience. She which one you shoot better and like better after shooting both. Either the .40 or 9mm will stop a human or a coyote with a properly placed shot. The .40 is quite a bit more bullet but is also a snappy round to handle. Don't give up accuracy for power. The 9mm is a little less expensive but not enough to give up a better round. Is your life and the lives of those you love worth the $3 a box you'll save on ammo?

Remember a .22 directly to the heart will do more damage than a .45 to the toe. Shot placement is much more important than size of the bullet.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If you can't read it
    Here's the math simplified
    Velocity times velocity divided by 450240 times bullet weight (grains) equals foot pounds energy

Velocity times bullet weight (grains) times caliber (diameter) divided by 7000 equals knock down factor.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

which caliber do you shoot more accurately with? that should guide your decision more than anything. if it's either one, then just flip a coin! personally i own both, plus many other calibers as well. if it's question of just adding another caliber, then go with the one that makes you happy. nothing wrong with owning different calibers and more guns, IMO, more the merrier! good luck with your choice.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

forever,

It all boils down to your view on price and quantity of shooting. Obviously the 9 wins in this category. But if you are talking about the best ballistics and performance regarding defense. The 40 no doubt wins hands down. Let me give you a little story. In my past life I was a Range Master and Trainer for a Metro PD. We had pipe constructed turning target stands on our range. One day I was gone while another agency used the range. When I returned the next day the stands were demolished. Before when the stands were hit with a 9mm in dented the stand piles but little major damage. Well the agency that had used the range on that day had just went to their new 40 Cal. Pistols. When the 40s hit the stand pipes they destroyed them literally! And about $700 - $1000 worth of damage and to repair the uprights! After experiencing the difference in power it was not long before our agency went with the 40. It is a close to the 45 ACP that you can get. So ballistic wise the 40 hands down compared to the 9mm.

8. KalashnikovJosh

KalashnikovJosh New Member

9mm or .40?

Both.

Get one of each.:)

9. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

Fixed that for you. Come on. If my wife were to see that other people are okay with one of each, she'll get to thinking that I'm okay with one of each. And I'm not... :D:D

Seriously though, it all depends. Good 9mm ammo goes a long way toward narrowing the gap between it and .40. Good .40 will always be better, but 9mm isn't the "I shot a bad guy with my 9mm and all it did was piss him off" thing that you will hear some .45 ACP guys make it out to be. 9mm is SERIOUSLY cheaper to shoot if you are using bulk 'White Box" stuff, but the price difference isn't quite as pronounced when you get into better ammo. And if you can take a Yote with .22lr, 9mm will do just as well. Taking Yotes with .22lr might not be best (might not be legal depending on where you live), I'm just saying that it has plenty of power for that. I do wonder about taking a Yote with a pistol out at 50yds or so. You must be a bit better than I am!

In the end, Josh has it right. Buy one of each. In the beginning I swore I would use .380 for my pocket CC pistol and 9mm for everything else (to save money). Yeah... A couple each of 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, Tokarev, and .22mag later...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  10. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I like the 9 due to its lo cost. I like to practice with what I carry. I'd have a hard time shooting the 10 as much. I see money flying out the barrel. lol

11. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

Yeah... Well, it's not cheap, but the Armscor stuff is great for plinking. It can be had online for around $21/box of 50, and it's relatively "warm" for bulk stuff. Last box was about 1100fps and 610 lb/ft force at the muzzle. You can expect to pay $30 a box for nice stuff, but that's not too much more than other calibers. Buffalo bore has some expensive 10mm, but they really exaggerate the performance. People regularly report 100fps less at the muzzle than was advertised...

12. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I carry a small 9mm and my wife has 9mm and I have a 40 for home defence also. It would be nice if you could shoot 2 pistol alike in both calibers to see what you think. If there is a spouse and children in the house be sure they can handle what ever you buy too.. There is not enough difference between a 45, 40 or 9mm to matter when it comes killing someone. Get what you can shoot well and afford to shoot. A 20 or 12 ga shotgun also works well for home defence on people or coyotes and can cost less.

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

This is my opinion only:

I would rather hit with a .22 than miss with a .45.
    Choose what caliber works best for you.
    While I like anything that starts with the number "4" (.40, .41, .45), I am comfortable hitting with the smaller calibers. And yes, there are times when the smaller calibers come in more handy than large.

14. RickM

RickM New Member

15. RickM

RickM New Member

duplicated whoops

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  16. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

It's a great video, but I can't help but think that the caliber question is and always will be a urination contest to see "who's thing is bigger"... Oh well. Mine is... Lol!

17. g23shooter

g23shooter New Member

Sig and Glock both have conversion barrels for there most popular .40 cal. I am sure there are others that also have conversion barrels also, maybe Ruger is one of them.. It would be very easy and inexpensive to buy a conversion barrel for $100-$150 and practice and plink on 9mm without the additional cost of shooting a .40 all the time. In SA, Tx. The difference in Wally worlds ammo in .40 and 9 mm is about $5-$6 per box. Shooting 20 boxes of 9mm would be $100 saved to help offset a conversion barrel.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  18. JigSawer40

JigSawer40 New Member

I have both full sized 9mm and 40sw. The 40sw is certainly more powerful but that depends on what ammo you use. The 9mm have a good selection of potent ammo whether they're standard, +P or +P+. The 40sw have standard and +P.

My 40sw doesn't kick much harder than my 9mm as they're both snappy, both being high pressure rounds. I like 'em both.

As always, go with what you're comfortable with.

19. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

Ballistically the .40 S&W is light years beyond the 9mm, especially with the hot stuff, but as the post above me stated, there is no shortage of amazing 9mm ammo. The best thing really is to try both, for a box or two at least, and go from there

20. KalashnikovJosh

KalashnikovJosh New Member

.40 S&W has some very good traits to it,yes,and it is much newer then 9mm para.

Personally I really like its a good cartridge,but NOT in something really small and light.

.40 runs at the same operating pressures as 9 para,and with bigger bullets,it makes quite a bit more recoil.

But this is just me- I'm willing to freely admit that I would not be as able to use a P40 as well as a P11.