9mm or 40 cal

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by rich671, Mar 14, 2011.

  1. rich671

    rich671 New Member

    9
    0
    0
    out on the market looking for one...something to for personal protection...please help with some ideas...thanks in advance
     
  2. NGIB

    NGIB New Member

    7,143
    1
    0
    Lots of choices out there. How much you looking to spend? Plastic, alloy, or steel frame? Full-size or compact?

    Answer a few questions and perhaps we can offer you some advice that's worth something...
     

  3. Alchemist

    Alchemist New Member

    266
    1
    0
    I vote for a nice small single stack... Kahr CW9 or CW40... Walther PPS in 9 or 40... Ruger LC9. They're nearly identical in size/weight/capacity and close in price. If you want go even smaller; the just-released Kahr CM9 (basically it's a "no-frills PM9").
     
  4. danf_fl

    danf_fl Retired Supporter

    12,361
    33
    48
    Not knowing the ammo situation in your area, your experience, or your preferences is like asking "What should I buy for a pickup truck?"
     
  5. rich671

    rich671 New Member

    9
    0
    0
    maybe somewhere around $500 and compact...
     
  6. rich671

    rich671 New Member

    9
    0
    0
    there is plenty choices man, looking to narrow it down..i was looking at the sr40, sr9c and the xd9 sub compact
     
  7. danf_fl

    danf_fl Retired Supporter

    12,361
    33
    48
    Look at Wally World and see what they have for ammo. This should indicate what would be easiest to get.

    What does Law Enforcement use in your area, 9mm or .40S&W?

    The experts of LE are familiar with what works for them. If they use the .40, there must be some reason.
     
  8. rich671

    rich671 New Member

    9
    0
    0
    mostly 40 cal
     
  9. Poink88

    Poink88 New Member

    1,116
    0
    0
    For compact or sub-compact, I would suggest 9mm.

    For full size, its a toss up and whatever you are more comfortable shooting.
     
  10. adjohns3

    adjohns3 New Member

    77
    0
    0
    For your consideration...Beretta Px4 Storm, sub compact 9mm...Google it, or any of your choices, check out the various YOUTUBE videos on almost any gun and you have some good ideas to consider.

    :)
     
  11. JTJ

    JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

    9,557
    164
    63
    In a compact pistol, the 9mm would be easier to control and cheaper to practice with. I bought my wife an SR9c then got one for myself after she let me shoot it. They come with a 10 and a 17 round mags. Both of ours have been flawless in operation.
    Personally I would rather shoot a 45 than a 40. I have a Glock 36/45ACP and it smaller and is easier to shoot than the Glock 23/40SW. Obviously I am not a 40 fan even though I have one.
     
  12. Colossal Urprising

    Colossal Urprising New Member

    135
    0
    0
    Walther PPS with 9mm +p is very adequate for defense.

    .40 is an outstanding round but quite snappy.

    It really is going to boil down to your comfort level, hand size - even your style of dress must be taken into account.

    Find an indoor range with gun rental...dont worry too much about the performance of the gun in that it may not be adequately maintenanced depending on the shop.

    but look for feel, sights, etc.
     
  13. rich671

    rich671 New Member

    9
    0
    0
    Been looking at the sr9c..thanks for the info..
     
  14. 500mag_guy

    500mag_guy New Member

    180
    0
    0
    this is a tough arguement. i have a Beretta INOX 92 fs 9mm and i love that thing, its extremely accurate but... its not a compact. I have three 40 s&w pistols and love them all. My personal carry that is in a shoulder holster 75% of the time i leave the house is a Smith & Wesson M&P40 full size it has a 4.25" barrel but is very easily concealed also very accurate. the M&P 40 is also made in a compact so something to look into. The other 25% of the time my personal carry is a Glock model 27 40s&w subcompact. I love this gun because it is small and very concealable yet very accurate. It is something i would definitely look into if compact carry is what you are looking for. The last 40s&w is a Springfield armory XDM and i havent really played around with it much yet but it seems to be a very nice well designed pistol and the nice thing about this gun is there is a clip for compact a clip that will give you a full grip.

    Hope this helps.
    500