9mm or 38+p for carry

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by bmf316, Feb 6, 2015.

1. bmf316

bmf316 New Member

Hey guys,I'm needing input/opinion on this issue. My current edc is a kimber ultra carry II. I'm wanting to get either the ruger lc9 or S&W 442 for carry with summertime carry in shorts and jogs/bike rides ect ect. I've never shot or carried the ruger but like the feel of it. I have an old S&W model 36 that I love,so I'm familiar with that. Love it but it's hard to get regular special loads for. (Non +p). Any input or pros and cons would greatly be appreciated.
    Thanks Steven

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

2. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I have an LC9 and find it to be perfect for cc, the new LC9s has a much nicer trigger and I will be updating soon.

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The LC9 is a little large for short pockets. Especially for a jog, consider a fixed point of carry. For pocket carry, unless you wear size 48, consider the LCP. Both Rugers are pure utility, not fun shooters.

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Consider a 642 or other stainless steel sidearm if you'll be using it frequently in a sweaty/humid environment.

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

9MM loaded with 115 grain +P+.:)

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Once getting into smaller, compact pistols it becomes harder to take advantage of +P ammo, and in a small and light revolver that uses a large case it is harder still due to the increased recoil. I find small autos easier to use, and the smaller case capacity of the 9mm makes it easier to get velocities closer to those of the longer barrels.

Something like a Glock 26 or Khar PM9 could be a good choice for carry.

7. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

You don't need .38 +P. It's a marketing gimmick. There are several good standard .38 Spl loads to use in your 36.

8. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

.38 Spc +P HP are easy for me to find locally. Seems like the standard .38 SPC HP are scarce. Maybe it's a local thing...?

9. bmf316

bmf316 New Member

Standard 38 special is hard to come by here in Dallas as well. I do carry that gun some as well. It was my dads first backup pistol when he got out the Dallas police academy in 70. I need a good conceal holster for it to. Any suggestions? ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1423366379.400879.jpg

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

10. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

ammo is scarce only if you dont know where to look for it...

you guys need to discover shopping on line for your ammo or start reloading what you shoot up and I guarantee you can find an ammo reloader locally who would love to have your business if you don't want to take up the hobby for your self.

11. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Standard .38 Spl is hard to find because everyone thinks they have to have "+P."
    St8Line is correct. Order online.

12. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

How about a Kahr CW series as it has the same natural grip angle as your 1911, will fit the same holsters most times and has a far smoother and lighter da trigger pull than a subby and is a+P rated pistol and can be bought in 40 or 45 . The 45 needs a different holster as its a little wider .

13. Donn

Donn Active Member

Your Model 36 is all steel. The gurus at my LGS tell me it can handle +p loads, provided it's mechanically sound.