9mm models for ccw

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Kdub, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Kdub

Kdub New Member

My mom and sister are going to get there ccw permit and are in the market for a carry gun. I have been looking between 380 and 9mm and have decided to go with the 9. i think they both can handle the recoil as well as ammo availability, reloading etc. I have been inclined towards the Ruger lc9 but am wondering what other models I should be considering. I would like to keep it under $400 and I'm mostly a Glock guy so I'm not sure what else is out there. What are some models I should be researching and having them test fire?

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Kahr makes some nice guns. I have a CM9. It was $400. It is comperable in size to the Ruger. But I think it is a step up. Dont get me wrong. I own several Rugers. And I like them. But I feel like the Kahr is in a different class. Mine has an amazing trigger. It is long. But so smooth. You might want to take a look.

3. jyo

jyo New Member

I have two Kahr CW9s (wife and I) and a Walther PPS 9mm---all are good---all are reliable. I also have a Kahr P45---really nice pistol, but kicks a lot more!

4. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Have they shot anything? Maybe you should find out what they like, fits their hands and they shoot best first.

For example, what sort of trigger do they prefer, short pull or long? Do they like thinner guns for smaller hands? Do they want manual safety? Any left handers?

Personally I love the Ruger SR9C. Wish I had bought one instead of the LC9.

For CCW the best, to me, would be the Taurus pt709 slim.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  5. drh87

drh87 New Member

I have a taurus 24/7 oss and love it great gun. Taurus also has excellent customer service

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

It depends on what you mean by concealed. If you wear jeans and a baggy shirt you can carry almost anything. But if you wear slacks or dress casual clothing you are not going to be able to carry a 27oz gun plus 15 rounds of ammo comfortably. How do you get a 1 3/4" belt in a 1 1/2" belt loop? The fabric is not strong enough to support an IWB holster plus you have to buy clothes 2" larger . You have to have more than one gun if you plan on carrying all the time comfortably.

7. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

Or.. or you could buy them a 9mm and a 380!!

8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Some to look at in 9mm , kahr cw and p series, nano, shield, KT p11 and pf9, DB9 but only the lastest serial numbers. In 380 add the bersa thunder series and taurus tcp 380.

9. potentialglock

I wouldn't recommend the shield simply because the safety is ridiculously stiff. Its not a "thumb safety" per say. Also it is not a DAO trigger pull so its not safe to carry with safety off. With the little experience I have I had to press with either my opposite thumb or torque the gun in my hand to get the safety off. Not what I want in an EDC

10. BelRockRebel

BelRockRebel New Member

11. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

The beretta nano fits into that price range, caliber and use.

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

It is very hard for me to recommend kel tec. I have two kel tecs that function flawlessly. My P-3AT I bought new. it went back and forth to kel tec for 5 months before they finally fixed it properly. My P-11 I bought used. I fluffed and buffed it for about a year before it ran right. I bought the P-11 for $100. That should have been a sign it was defective. But at that point all I had heard was good things about kel tec. So I jumped on it. I am glad I have it now. It only took about 5 years to figure it out. I can't recommend that anyone endure all that to have a decent gun.

A lot of people recommend a bersa thunder like it is a pocket pistol. It is not a pocket pistol. The thunder is about the same size and weight as my ruger P95. Why carry a big 380 when you can carry a 9mm with a 15 round capacity that is the same size?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  13. bobdoank

bobdoank New Member

I got M&P shield 9mm, I use conceal and carry... Nice compact, and I don't have any problem with safety feature, mine not stiff but nice and firm.
    Have a good day all.

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

john deer How would you feel if you changed the word kel tec for kimber !! Everone makes a turd today and when you buy a used firearm you could be buying someones problem they caused. That along with ammo and even the shooters skill reguardless of skills with larger guns. KT has the best CS out there. To bad you did not take advantage of it. They have been known to exchange handguns before or replace most of the one you have if needed. The p11 I had that was not good out of the box. Sent it back with a detailed letter and got a pistol back with a new top side anbd ran the next 400 rounds trouble free. It is now CC'd by a inlaw with around 1500 rounds fired with zero problems.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

The P95 is a great pistol.

Ruger P95
    Weight: 27 oz.
    Length: 7.25”
    Height: 5.75”
    Width: 1.2”
    http://ruger.com/products/p95/models.html

That's a bit taller and longer and heavier than:

Bersa Thunder .380
    Weight: 18.9 oz.
    Length: 6.6”
    Height: 4.7”
    Width: 1.3”
    http://www.bersa.com/bersa-firearms/thunder-series.html

I had a Bersa Thunder 380 that i loved, but my sister needed it more than me.

For Christmas i got a Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro; it isn't quite as sleek as the BT380, but it is a nice concealable pistol with 13 rounds of 9mm. http://www.bersa.com/skin/frontend/blank/theme063/images/media/BersaCatalog.pdf Page 9 of the catalog.

I have big pockets, but the BT380 fit fine for me. I do not concealed carry outside my home, car, or office (as allowed by MS law).

16. potentialglock

What's the size difference between thunder 380 and thunder 9mm?

17. potentialglock

Both of the bersas are longer and thicker than the LC9. The bersa 9uc has more capacity but the 380 has 7+1 just like the LC9. So my vote is for the LC9 or the bersa 9UC if the size doesn't bug you

18. orangello

orangello New Member

From the catalog link in the previous post:
    Bersa Thunder Pro 9 Ultra Compact
    Weight: 23 oz.
    Length: 6.5”
    Height: 4.75”
    Width: 1.45”

The BTP9UC is a bit thicker and a bit heavier than their BT380 (still smaller than a P95).

Actually, Bersa has a more specialized BT380 for carry with a 8 round magazine and somewhat better carry profile.

Specifications
    Model: THUNDER 380 CC
    Caliber: .380 ACP
    Action: DA /SA
    Capacity: 8+1
    Barrel Length: 3.2”
    Construction: Alloy Frame/Steel Slide
    Weight: 16.4 oz.
    Length: 6”
    Height: 4.5”
    Width: 1"

(from the linked catalog)

They also have a BT380PLUS with a double-stack magazine that holds 15+1 (i will be buying one when i can):

Specifications
    Model: THUNDER 380 PLUS
    Caliber: .380 ACP
    Action: DA/SA
    Capacity: 15+1
    Barrel Length: 3.5”
    Construction: Alloy Frame/Steel Slide
    Weight: 20.5 oz.
    Length: 6.6”
    Height: 4.9”
    Width: 1.35”

For somebody with kids, the integrated locking system could be a plus; for me, i just never use it. I would let them "try on" a pistol if it is for them to carry and use. My BTP9UC is actually at my nephew's house for a buddy and his wife to try out in the backyard. Bersa's nickel finish is really nice for such a budget pistol. I also generally prefer a metal-framed handgun, even if it is a lightweight alloy frame.

19. potentialglock

I might be looking into the bersa 9UC

20. orangello

orangello New Member

The plastic grip doesn't look just great, but it is comfortable and grippy. If i find some slim wood grips (like Marschal sells for the BT380) i will probably switch them out.

I did test the lil BTP9UC with mixed ammo magazines with good results as far as smooth feeding and ejection; since it was at night with flashlights, i couldn't tell much about the accuracy, though there were holes in the target for each round fired.

The only other negative thing i can say is that Bersa charges about $40 for spare magazines. I haven't seen any knockoffs available. I like to have 10 or 12 magazines for each pistol i own, but i only have 3 for the lil Bersa.