9mm compatability

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Hectocotylus, May 13, 2012.

1. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

So I might be crazy but would it work to shoot makarov and .380 in a 9mm parabellum chambered gun? I am guessing it wouldn't cycle properly but they are the same diameter and have less pressure. Perhaps I am crazy let me know

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

There is more to ammo measurements than just diameter. I wouldn't recommend it.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

nope, won't work. most semi auto's headspace of the rim, so by using a shorter case it will try to headspace off the extractor. not good. nothing good ever comes from using the improper ammo in a firearm. one of the 10 Commandments of safety, only use ammo that is amde for the firearm. there have been people hurt and killed from not following this advice. there are things like being blinded, losing a finger or hand or any other ill effects that have happened. if it calls for 9mm, then use that.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Cool link. I'm amazed that last case didn't pop like a zit. Scary

6. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Those things make sense I figured it wouldn't be wise but I thought I might ask the masses so that I could learn from other's mistakes

7. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I was able to shoot 9mm out of the .380, but was not able to shoot .380 out of the 9mm. The head-space was about 1/16 inch too short. But, I did try.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

when it comes to firearms, better to be safe than sorry. smart move asking before trying it out. you might be suprised at the number of people who actually try stupid stunts like this without asking. if you're in doubt about something, especially if it involves safety, ask. the only stupid question is the one someone has and they don't ask it.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Listen to the sage advice above.

Use the correct caliber ammo.

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

9MM ammo is cheaper anyhow.

11. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Shouldn't that be vise versa? If 9 mm fits in a .380, that strikes me as a dangerous overpressure situation if fired, aside from the 9 mm being longer.

As for the 9x18, it shouldn't fit in either of the others. If it does, don't pull the trigger. 9x18 bullet diameter is .363", 9mm Luger & 9 mm Kurtz (.380 acp) typically run .355" or .356". Pressures could get exciting.
    FYI:
    Max pressure for:
    .380 ACP - 21,500 psi.
    9 mm Makarov - 23,200 psi
    9 mm Luger - 35,000 psi (or 38,500 +p)
    .380 can be made to fire in a 9 mm Luger, though it's headspacing on the extractor. Probably not dangerous but not a great idea. In a Mak, the situation is probably similar, though the slop in the bore will eradicate anything resembling accuracy.
    Even if you can "make it fit," don't mix & match your different calibers.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  12. surveyor619

surveyor619 New Member

I don't understand the facsination or need to even think about mixing calibers of ammo and firearms??

13. Kenney

Kenney New Member

If you insist on switching calibers, there's a revolver I think called a Medusa model 47 that accepts 25 different rounds. I forgot who makes it.