9mm carbine

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by texaswoodworker, Mar 5, 2012.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Well, even know I just bought my mosin, I am already thinking of my next gun.:D

I am split between 3 guns. A Ruger 10/22, a Nagant Revolver (if I can find one that I can buy through a private sell), or a 9mm carbine. I'll save those other two for another thread later down the road, so for now, lets focus on the 9mm.

I like the idea of a small, light, cheap to shoot rifle with ammo I can get pretty much anywhere. I have looked at a few carbines already, and they are ugly as hell. (I looked at a hi point 995, and a kel tec sub 2000) Some of the more expensive carbines also have this problem. Why? The designs just look so odd to me. (I tend to perfer classic guns, over todays tactical stuff)

The carbine I have looked into the most is the Hi Point. How good are they? Are they accurate and dependable? Do they have a history of problems? I was thinking that maybe I could just get one, and customize the hell out of it to make it look nicer (I could design, and build a custom wood stock for it, and give it a completely different look. Yes, that sounds like a lot of work, but I don't mind. I love to do stuff like that, and it would give me something to do for a while.)

Are there any other good carbines out there that won't break the bank?

Thanks

2. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

If a beautiful 9 mm carbine is what you want, try to find a marlin camp9. Nice wood stock, uses 59 series sw magazines. It's a little on the heavy side, but its a little more "classic sexy" than what's made today.

3. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

I bought a Hi Point 995TS last month. I've been to the range twice with it, zero problems so far. Pretty damn accurate right out of the box.

Attached Files:

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The Marlin and Ruger carbines are getting very expensive since they are now collectors. The JR carbines are around $600. The HiPoint is known to be reliable but is ugly. They are limited on their mags. I think there is a higher cap 9mm available now. The folding feature of the Kel-Tek is what interests me. There are after market parts available to dress them up but that adds $. With a quad rail and a new metal front sight, they look pretty good.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Hi-Point has incredible customer service, and

a great Warranty.

My LGS, a Hi-Point dealer, can't keep the 995s

in stock, they go so fast. They are well-rated,

compared to carbines costing two or three times

as much.

6. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

I know there's a ton of Hi Point haters that will probably flame me but, I really dig the rifle. It's fun to shoot, affordable and the warranty really sealed the deal for me.

7. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I agree +1. I had one and loved it. I traded it for a 9mm pistol and to this day I regret it...

8. texaswoodworker

I like the look of the Ruger pc9 police, and the Marlin camp9, but theY are a little pricy for my budget ($400-$500). I'm still leaning towards the Hi Point. I just wish they hadn't put the mag in the hand grip. I think it would have been better if they had moved it forward a bit. It would have allowed more options for both the mag, and the stock. I think I could make a stock for it that gives it the look of a (somewhat) classic SMG. :D I'll get a pic of the reciever, and see if I can design a stock around it that makes it look better.

Quick question, I understand wanting to make cheap, indestructable guns, but why does Hi Point have to make ALL of their guns fugly?

9. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

I guess you can't marry sexy and affordable...keep me posted with pics of your project.

10. texaswoodworker

lol, depends on the type of gun. :D Later on (probably a few months at the very least), I'll be sure to post pics of the project.

11. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I haven't had any problems with my 995. Shoots great and I don't mind the looks. A friend had a firing pin problem with his and HiPoint is sending him a complete fire control group to install free of charge. Top notch service. I looked at the Beretta but didn't want to spend the extra money they wanted for something that was going to be for fun anyway. If I hadn't found the 995 for the price it was at I wouldn't own a 9mm carbine. I ordered extra 10 round mags from sportsman's guide and they must have been made for the older model. The cutout on the top of the mag was different. A little dremel time fixed that.

12. texaswoodworker

I like that stock. Depending on how difficult it would be to route the inside of a wood stock to fit the reciever (it looked complicated), I may just go with the ATI stock. Thanks JTJ

13. priell3

priell3 New Member

I have a Just Right Carbine in 9MM. Kind of pricey, but to me it was worth it.
    (Actually, my wife paid for half and the other half came from the sale of a shot gun. :D) Shoots great, no malfunctions. www.jrcarbines.com

This is a pic right out of the box (bipod not included):
    [​IMG]

And after some accessories:
    [​IMG]

14. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

Very nice. How much if you don't mind me asking?

Edit- how much out the box, no accessories?

15. priell3

priell3 New Member

I paid $659 not including taxes and fees. It came with one 10 round mag and bought a 33 round mag too.

I added a grip/bipod, flashlight, riser, Magpul sights, and a cheap red dot all from Amazon.

I squeezed off the shots in that target in about 1 minute, 40 rounds using the Magpul sights.

Being 9mm, it is light on recoil and cheap to shoot. I have a Ruger P95 so I only need to bring one caliber of ammo to the range.

16. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

I got the hi point because it was different looking. I think there are to many ar looking guns out there. It's like the other manufactures are afraid to do there own thing.

17. VikingGuy

VikingGuy New Member

I picked up a Hi Point 9MM carbine today. Local dealer had it in stock for a great price. I can't wait to get it to the range and see what it can do.

18. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Got a 995TS last week.

Comes with sling, sighting, and accessory

rails. Shoots well, disassembles quickly for

easy cleaning, and the synthetic stock

soaks up a lot of recoil. If you don't

care for the iron sights, they are easily

removed, and a scope mount is already in

place...