9mm carbine

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by SmithKid308, Sep 19, 2011.

1. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

What is a good reliable cheap 9mm carbine ? And is light can take a rail on the top or bottom , and takes a 9mm pistol mag

2. rockhouse

rockhouse New Member

Hi point makes the cheapest that I have seen but they are just that, cheap. Around 300. I would spend the extra cash and get a baretta cx4 storm (600- 700)

There are also conversion kits out there for some handguns where you just change out the "upper"

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

there are also kits that you can actually stick a pistol into. Kind of like building a carbine onto a pistol. It's basically just a stock and fore end kit. Don't know where to find them though.

4. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

The Hi-Points are pretty cheaply made to keep to that <$300 price tag, but they also work. The only thing keeping them from being really competitive is the relatively low capacity (10+1 single-stack).

Now, I wouldn't take one to Afghanistan, but I think they are perfectly good range guns and completely functional defensive guns for the home or vehicle.

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I've seen the Hi-point carbines for $250. I heard they function fine. I could never recommend anyone buying a gun based solely on the price point though. I thought the Hi-points were ugly and bulky. The ones I seen had mounting rails everywhere on the gun except on the buttplate(or so it seemed).

6. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Are there any others ? Under 400$ and takes a bigger mag than a 10 I mean my pistol takes a single stack mag bigger than that haha, and what about kel-tech sub 2000 9mm carbine has any one seen that or shoot one and willing to give a review ?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  7. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

The Kel-Tecs are pretty nice, but have coarse sights and don't readily accept upper rails. I wanted one for a while but decided if I'd rather just get better with my pistol (which I did) than hope I'd have the chance to bust the folded Sub2000 out of hiding if I ever needed it. In any case, good luck finding one :) .

About the best one around is the CX4 Storm, though. Very well-built, good capacity with aftermarket mags, and is built on the compact pistol-frame design rather than the "mag forward of the fire controls" design. But, it is also among the most expensive.

The best compromise really is probably the Hi-Point, though.

8. rockhouse

rockhouse New Member

Ok cheap was a bad word choice. they function just fine and I believe they have a good warranty program. They are just heavy and bulky. If you want inexpensive and want it now then go ahead. I personally would hold off and get the cx4 storm. Having shot both I jus prefer the storm and if I spend money I want to buy the good stuff before big brother tries to take them all.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

If i was gonna get a 9mm carbine i would just get the rra upper conversion block and some 30round mags for my ar15. Or go the full dedicated lower route but you asked for cheap... the only viable el-cheapo that works well that ive seen function is the hipoint.

10. OzarkRecluse

OzarkRecluse New Member

Taurus has a carbine coming out sometime this year which should give the Beretta some competition.

11. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

I thought it was cancelled?

In any case, the Taurus carbine heavy, is if the mag-forward design and uses proprietary mags of standard (for a 9mm pistol). The only real benefit to the mag-forward design is the use of high-cap mags. They didn't even make it work with their 24/7 or PT92 mags!

So, even if it's well-built, it's still heavier and longer than a purpose-built 9mm carbine needs to be, and doesn't even have capacity to show for it.