9mm Booktest

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by javelin225HO, Sep 16, 2013.

1. javelin225HO

javelin225HO New Member

I tested 3 different 9mm pd bullets on a 1187 page book with a ruger lc9. Hornady cd 115 ftx, federal 115 jhp pd, and speer 124 +p gold dot. Both the Hornady and Speer went almost thru the book, making dents in a second book backing it up. Feds went to page 940. Hornady expanded well and did the most damage at 115gr. The speer at 124gr held its shape and weight, but this was a +p bullet. Federal was in pieces shredded with the less weight. Hornady looks like it won this round. Major difference from the 380 bullets I tested in a earlier thread. The Hornady was a bust with Speer being the winner.
    I have my lc9 loaded with Speers with a mag of Hornady for back up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  2. priell3

priell3 New Member

3. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

You couldn't be more wrong!

That's a Cabela's Ltd. Ed. Catalogue you just killed!

4. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Reminds me of when I was a kid and would shoot pellets out of my 1000fps gun at phone books in my closet. Good thing back then we lived close enough to a metropolitan location that the phone books were thick enough to stop em.

5. javelin225HO

javelin225HO New Member

LOL. Thats about all of the hardback books I have, Cabelas books. The old lady won't let me use her books. Plus Cabelas likes sending me LIMITED EDITION BOOKS with the same crap in it.

6. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Actually, Javelin that's great info. Thanks for posting it.

7. Dragonheart

Dragonheart New Member

I guess if the point is to find a bullet with the most penetration, so it can go completely through the intended target and then possibly injure or kill an innocent. However, as any trauma surgeon will tell you, it's the bullet that goes in then fragments to create numerous wound channels that is most likely to take down the target the fastest. Short of a direct brain, heart or aorta hit, it's the bleeding our and drop of blood pressure that brings an animal down. So I would say the Federal was your winner for a self defense load.

8. bradam

bradam Member

thanks for the info as I have a 9mm and 380 auto. are you going to test a 38 special by any chance?:D

9. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Question - What was the distance from shooting position to impact of the books?

Same crap, just more expensive than last year.

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I have to wonder what shooting books actually proves. People have been shooting books as long as I can remember. There are more books today than ever in history. What has shooting books accomplished?:confused:

11. bradam

bradam Member

Maybe shooting books is like the martial arts people breaking concrete blocks.:D

12. javelin225HO

javelin225HO New Member

7 yards is what I shot from.

Nitestalker, the book test I got from hickok45 shooting a 500 smith and wesson into a book. The book was free, ballastic gelatin is not. :rolleyes:

13. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Thanks!

City range officials would not allow it at 7 yards, might allow at 25 yards.

14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I dunno. Folks should spend more time reading books than shooting them. Good info if I get attacked by books.

I get that gelatin is not free, but books are kind of a unpredictable medium for tests. Differences in types of paper, different weights of paper, different fiber types and fiber content and a significant lack of moisture compared to tissue, makes it a kind of dubious test. Not saying its useless, just not sure what real conclusions you can take away from it.

In place if gelatin I would at least recommend soaking the books for a long time to get the paper to a more uniform pulpy consistency. Then you at least have a higher water content for evaluating HP performance in a fluid soaked fiber filled medium.

15. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Soaking newsprint for at least 4 days is the poor mans version of the closest thing to gelatin.

16. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Was these three bullets all into the same book? A much truer test would have been on 3 different books. (just speaking from experience here) :D

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Have used that method or phone books soaked for a few days. Seemed to give fairly consistent results, and multiple hits in the same batch didn't seem to show much variation. The water content seems to make for better consistency from shot to shot as well.

18. javelin225HO

javelin225HO New Member

Yep, folks should read more books, cause there aren't alot of people with book smarts now a days, and the ones that do, well you vote for them every 2 and 4 years and look at them now. Maybe you ought run for President, then you wouldn't have to worry about being attacked by books, cause the secret service will have you covered.