9mm availability

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by hawkguy, May 12, 2013.

1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

just a quick curiosity ques...

i am looking to get a 9mm pistol...is the ammo drought for 9mm as bad as 22 and 223? i haven't really looked for 9mm in quite some time.

i really don't want another gun with extreme ammo droughts. i'm getting tired of 223 for this reason.

2. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

Its pretty bad. Theres one store i can usually find it at in my area and its 45 minutes away. They have a 2 box limit at $18/box

Last edited: May 12, 2013

3. hawkguy

thanks. i kinda figured this, but i wanted to inquire anyway.

maybe its a sign that i should just buy a crossbow instead....;)

4. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I am seeing more and more hard to find calibers for sale by indivaduals on local facebook gun groups and I'm hoping that's a sign the shortage will be ending soon and prices will go back down

5. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

Wal Mart has not raised their ammo prices, but they do not often have 9 mm, and I have been at a couple stores at 7:00 AM when they bring out the overnight delivery. They seem to have more .40 then any other pistol ammo.

6. bbertram

bbertram New Member

If you're willing to hang out on your computer, run gunbot, you'll find "deals " on 9mm every day. Add Shipping and you'll be under $20 a box, anyway. Cheapest I found was Wolf for $10.95 a box, about $12.40 delivered. If you were in Holland, Mi you could pick up 600 rounds from me at $15 a box, mixed Wolf and Freedom Munitions Blaster. There is ammo out there, but probably at least $5 a box more that we would like to pay. :)
    Brent

7. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I have a harder time finding 9mm than 223, my supplies started getting low here recently so I was forced to buy more... Was really hoping to ride it out but it's just been too long.

I've bought about 25 boxes of 223 so far, have only snagged 3 boxes of 9mm.

8. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

Gunbot and Ammoseek R4U.

Try GUNBOT or AMMOSEEK. I've been using both and found all I need (9mm, 22lr, 223/5.56) and patience will reward you with a "decent" price point. I get 99+% of my ammo online now - delivered to my door. :)

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  9. hawkguy

i figured as much. this is a crazy world lately....i may have to re consider...having guns you can't shoot ain't much fun....:mad:

10. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

See if there's any guns and ammo trader groups in your area if you're on facebook. I'm on I think 8 for the kansas city area and there's always somebody trying to sell something.

11. bbertram

bbertram New Member

I see lots of 9mm ammo in the Austin area on Armslist. Problem is, they want 20-30 bucks a box. That's true most places. I'm selling 4 boxes of 9mm for $15 a box in Michigan, but not many people selling in that price range. You're probably NOT going to find ammo at the nearest Hardware store these days. :(

12. hawkguy

thanks....but this is just starting to get damn old.....buying some ammo for the range shouldn't be a freakin scavenger hunt....i have honestly almost given up & am having thoughts of engaging another hobby for a year or so...in hopes this BS might be over by then...

i have a friend who had just gotten seriously into shooting and firearms...he doesn't even talk about it much anymore....he's sick of it also.

again, archery or perhaps a crossbow might be my next endeavor....

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

Or reloading. That way you're effectively fueling both hobbies. (If you can find the components).

14. hawkguy

or bullets. or brass. or powder. lol! :eek:

i know you're right, but reloading just ain't in the near future for me.

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

Yeah, can't say I really blame you. I'm fully setup to reload in my current caliber of choice (9mm) and am having a tough time finding bullets, primers, and powder. Cases are pretty easy online, but the others are a bit harder. I think they're easier to find than actual ammunition, though.

However, just think of this... If you were to get started reloading, and could find components... You could keep shooting.... OR you could reload at your own pace and just not shoot, thereby giving you a huge stock to shoot when you come back to it. Just sayin. But again, that's if you can find the stuff...

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

It, and all of the others, will; be back in quantity at normal prices in a few months./

This has happened several times before, and it will happen again.

Don't allow your choice of a gun to be influenced by a temporary condition.

17. hawkguy

you are right, of course. i'm just a bit disgusted with it at the present time. these popular calibers aren't necessarily easy to find (at a good price) when time are good. now, if i'm lucky enough to find it, i normally refuse to be completely ripped off...:mad:

i have only been in the hobby seriously for the last 6-7 years, and there have been many ammo droughts during that period.

but do you ever recall one as bad as this one? :confused:

18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

1994 was worse. A HELLUVA lot worse.

19. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I was 10 years old in 94...this is the worst I've even been through