9mm ammo to avoid

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by paulclay03, Jan 18, 2013.

1. paulclay03

paulclay03 New Member

Any ideas or advice on what 9mm rounds (brand) to avoid?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

personally i wouldnt buy remington.

3. TexasRog

TexasRog New Member

Some autos don't like Blazer Aluminum case. I would not recommend Wolf Steel either. You have to try some to see what works in your personal weapon. There is no size that fits all...or in this case...does not fits yours.

4. paulclay03

paulclay03 New Member

I guess my fear (as I am new to this) is finding a deal on rounds that is "too good to be true"

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Stay away from gunshow deals where the rounds tend to be loose in plastic baggies. Using someone's handloads in your gun is a recipe for kaboom.

6. TexasRog

TexasRog New Member

The big question is if you can find (some). Walmart has none. Cabelas has none. Ammoman has none. Anything that will go boom is getting hard to find. You just gotta look online and see what is available. You will pay more tho.

7. paulclay03

paulclay03 New Member

I bought 150 rounds of PMC bronze at dicks sporting goods. I'm assuming they are lower grade. They were $15/box

8. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

150 rounds for $15?

9. BZ3

BZ3 New Member

Do you mean 50 rds for $15? Lol

10. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

While not Ultra Premium, there is nothing wrong with PMC. I've shot the 9 mm & .40 S&W with no problems.
    IMHO, lower grade is the Wolf & Tula Steel cased stuff.
    Remington/UMC tends toward the mild side, but it works.
    Wal-Mart Federal is similar. Though I was unimpressed with the accuracy. Winchester & Remington grouped better for me.
    Winchester White Box seem to be better than most of the cheap stuff in both accuracy and power level.
    I put PMC at a similar level to the Win WB.
    It will all work for those evil cans and paper targets.

11. sergei100

sergei100 New Member

Myself I just buy UMC or Winchester Ball ammo for target practices and keep both Hornady Critical Duty and Federal Hydra-Shock load every other round in my carry weapons.

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I think CCI makes some of the best rimfire ammo on the planet. But I do not like CCI centerfire ammo. All CCI centerfire ammo is under powered. It is not accurate. I would rather have the much maligned WWB over CCI blazer/brass ammo any day.

13. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

A few months ago, I loaded up on ARMSCOR 45ACP and 9MM and could not be happier!!
    over 400 rounds later, No hangs, no duds and deadly accurate shooting ammo.
    GREAT AMMO.

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Any FACTORY 9MM and you're god to go. Wolf, Tula etc are inexpensive and work well. Remington, federal and W-W are all top notch.

CCI blazers in brass cases are good, but I would avoid the aluminum cases in auto loaders. Aluminum is fine for revolvers.

15. warrior_oh58d

warrior_oh58d New Member

Um......why?

16. paulclay03

paulclay03 New Member

Yes, that's what I meant. 3 boxes $15/box