9mm & 9mm Luger

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Guns-N-Ammo, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Guns-N-Ammo

Guns-N-Ammo New Member

I might be a dumb question, but what is the difference???:confused:

2. noylj

noylj Member

The 9x19 = 9mm Luger = 9mm Parabellum = 9mm NATO.
    then there is the 9x17 (.380 or 9mm Kurtz), the 9x21, the 9x18 (9mm Makarov), 9x23, 9mm Ultra, and many more.
    Any one who says they are shooting a 9mm has no idea what they are shooting.

3. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  4. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Very presumptuous of you. :rolleyes:

I agree.

5. Guns-N-Ammo

Guns-N-Ammo New Member

Well, I ask this cause, i went to the store to pick up practice rounds, and got 9mm Luger......can i shoot them out of a G26??

6. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Absolutely. That's the caliber the G26 was make around. I forgot to include 9x19 in my previous post.

So, 9x19 (should be stamped on your slide) = 9mm Luger = 9mm Nato = 9mm Parabellum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9x19mm_Parabellum

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  7. Guns-N-Ammo

Guns-N-Ammo New Member

OK thank you for your help!!!!:)

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It originally called the 9mm Parabellum (for war). It was used in the famous P-08 "Parabellum" pistol designed by Georg Luger, hence the association with the name. The Europeans developed the metric naming system where (generally) the first number is the bullet diameter and the second number is the case length. Hence 9X19. It was adopted by the NATO nations so it is often called 9mm NATO, but that is not always correct. The NATO load is more or less a +P FMJ load.

9. noylj

noylj Member

I may be presumptuous, but I answered the question, I thought.
    Sorry, but if you tell my you're shooting a .30 caliber, I will not be impressed with your ability to communicate clearly.
    We all "know" what someone means when they say they are shooting a 9mm, until we or they make an error because of it. Someone looks at their barrel and sees 9mm and they buy a box of 9mm Kurtz.
    I shoot a .38 a lot. Guess what, it's a .38 Super...

10. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Two things.

First, saying 9mm is mostly understood being the "generic" for 9x19/Nato/parabellum now. Big difference between saying .30 cal or .38.

Second and most importantly, the person might not be understood but that doesn't mean he doesn't know what he is shooting. HUGE difference.

11. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

Must be a lot of clueless 9mm shooters out there. As mentioned before "Generally when some says 9mm, they mean 9mm Luger (Parabellum/Nato)", with the other 9mm rounds most people are more specific when they ask for them, 9mm Makarov, 380, 9mm Ultra etc. etc.. Using the generic term 9mm to indicate the 9mm Luger doesn't necessarily make the person a moron.

Yes you did answer the question, but then you added this "Any one who says they are shooting a 9mm has no idea what they are shooting.", which was just wrong.

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

When you walk into a sporting goods store or a walmart or any place else that sells ammunition, you walk up to the counter and say I need 5 boxes of 9mm Winchester White box. He sure as hell isn't going to ask you is that 9x17, 9x19, 9x21, 9x23... No the clerk is going to turn around grab 5 boxes of 9mm Luger WWB and put them on the counter and ask you is you need anything else.

If you were more worried about yourself looking like an idiot you wouldn't have made that comment now would you.....

13. Petel

Petel New Member

Hello.
    Despite the fact that the rounds are similar in appearance and are both 9x19 tapered case, I was always given to believe :-

That the 9mm Luger is the original and was pressured for use in the Luger P08 pistol.

That because of the tapered case, it was found the the round would feed well in full auto arms, it thus became the darling of the SMG designers.

That to ensure reliable functioning when used in military SMGs and similar, the round was given a higher pressured charge, consisting of a double based nitro-cellulose propellant, which made it a little "too hot" for the PO8's toggle mechanizm. This version was given the name Parabellum. In British military use, the designation 2Z was used to indicate the the double based loading and the round is known as the 9mm/2Z.

That with the wide adoption of the Parabellum for military use, subsequent military pistols were manufactured ( Browning, Walther etc ) stressed to take the round.

That the Italian 9mm Glisenti pistol, chambered for the Glisenti cartridge ( also 9x19 ) was even lower pressured than the original 9mm Luger.

If I am mistaken in any of the above, I would be most interested to hear of it.

Thank you.
    Pete.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  14. meadville

meadville New Member

Enough to make your head spin. I once owned a 1934 Beretta marked 9mm scurt. Which I came to find out was romanian for short [corto],apparently the Romanians either purchased or were licensed to produce during the war

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

While I am certainly no Luger pistol expert, I have been led to believe they actually like high pressure ammo. The P08 was called the "Parabellum". The "Luger" label on 9X19 ammo is mostly an American label.

16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Have a shooting buddy that has a orginail German Luger albeit nickeled so to reduce it to a shooter. We shot Rem 9mm and 9mm wwb and it hate them up with out a hitch.

As far as I can tell the pressure of the 9mm L has never changed. Would I shoot modern 9mmL+p Sd ammo in a Luger pistol NO. but regular WWB or RYB or any other range fodder should be ok. I say should because there is always one gun out there that is ont he verge of a major catastrophic failure...

17. meadville

meadville New Member

Years back a Luger I owned functioned best with the surplus smg ammo that was floating around at that time,as I recall

18. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Not much if you have a Medusa...

19. Petel

Petel New Member

Hello Meadville.
    I hope it was not that awful Czechoslovakian 9mm from the early 1950's, we had a lot of it selling cheaply in the UK.

Steel jacket, steel case, corrosive powder, corrosive primer, massive variations in pressure readings and powder exiting the barrel still burning.

I would not have put that stuff through any gun, least of all a Luger.
    Regards Pete.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  20. meadville

meadville New Member

No this was brass as I recall and we are talking back in the 60's when the gun show dealers had boxes of mismatched lugers for $50 US !! Alot of the surplus ammo then was war time stuff. Shot hundreds if not a thousand of rounds through those lugers I had,those were the days.