9mm/40s&w..... 357sig

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by filter777, May 21, 2012.

1. filter777

filter777 New Member

Alright, so I've decided to add a couple new handguns to my collection. I love the Sig P226 Tac Ops. Now, for my choice in cartridges....

I already have a nice collection of 9mm and 40s&w. There is no option for a 45acp. Besides, the only 45 I've grown accustomed to and love shooting is the 1911. I also wouldnt mind another 40. .. Love shooting it. However, I do have another option for this Sig. The other option is chambered in a 357sig.

I always enjoyed shooting the 357mag round, but the 357sig is new and unchartered territory for me. Can anyone out there shed some light on this type of ammo and what its equivellant to shooting?... Or at least a close proximity.... The more I read, the more I am interested. I just dont want to get caught up with availabilty issues or a round that I won't enjoy shooting.

If you're wondering why I'm not leaning toward the P226 in 9mm, its because I have something else in mind for that.... the Walther PPQ 1st Edition model. The First Edition only comes chambered in 9mm, so this will not be an uption for me with this Sig.

If anyone out there is shooting the 357 sig round, please let me know what your thoughts are about this particular round.... both pros and cons, of course. I would appreciate any feedback on the subject.

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I don't partake of the .357 Sig.
    Do you reload? If not, research the availability & cost of the ammo. In this area, it's available in very limited quantities and it's pricey. I know that everything is available on-line. I'm just saying know what your getting into before you jump in the deep end. Sometimes waiting 4-5 days for ammo just won't cut it.
    Ballistically, it's not so great that you can't live without it. +P+ 9 mm ammo gets close. .357 magnum is more versatile. Before someone says how much better the .357 Sig goes through car doors or windshields, I'll concede that point. Simply because I don't care. Most people probably don't really need to worry about that sort of thing.
    Do your homework and see if it's what you want.

3. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I have a Glock 32 in 357 SIG and enjoy it. The ammo is more expensive than .40 and a little harder to find but all gun shops should have at least a small selection and it's easy to get on line in bulk or by the box.
    Shooting it is very similar to the .40, a little sharper and "snappier" recoil.
    I've heard reloading for it is tricky because of the very short neck and making cases by necking down .40 cases is not recommended because the case is a little shorter when you do that.
    All in all I'd say if you want a 357SIG go for it but there's no advantage over a .40 to me.

4. filter777

filter777 New Member

Do you reload? If not, research the availability & cost of the ammo.

Thanks overkill0084... I do reload and have been doing my research. You really don't hear much about this round and seems like the gunshops I deal with would have to special order the Sig because they mainly carry the 9 and occasionally the 40. I'm not really worried about it going through sheet metal or windshields, but I do want to be certain that the stopping power is there :)

5. filter777

filter777 New Member

Jeepejeep, I have found the ammo to be reasonably priced online. No problems finding it locally either. Even the local Walmarts are carrying it now..... Besides, I would be reloading. Thanks for the feedback.

6. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

The .357sig intrigues me. I'd like to give it a try but I don't know anybody that has one. And about the limited availability of ammo, I have never even seen .357sig ammo for sale anywhere other than online.

7. Sport45

Sport45 New Member

Get a .357sig barrel for one of your 40's and give it a try.

I tried 400 Cor-Bon in my 1911's that way. The .400 barrel is gathering dust somewhere now...

8. morayman

morayman New Member

We've got a 357 Sig on order,a XD Tactical model.We reload so ammo is not a problem ,we can reload cheap,and accurate,plus we can get the most out of any caliber we reload for.Some say the 357 Sig is nothing more than a 9 mm on steroids,but it is much more than that.It is a flat shooting,powerful round and a proven man-stopper.It is very accurate also.If it wasn't good the Secret Service wouldn't be using it!I've done a lot of research on it before deciding on it.I think it will make a good addition to your collection. morayman..........

9. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

That sums it up pretty well.

10. filter777

filter777 New Member

Sport45... Never made sense to me to to spend upwards of $200 to test the round. During some of my online research, I did read somewhere that this has been done. If I did end up liking the round, then I'd be compelled to purchase the Sig. I have a couple Berettas, an XDM, a S&W, and a Walther PPQ chambered in 40. I havent seen any of those manufacturers with an available 357sig barrell. I'll check it out though. Maybe I'm wrong.

11. filter777

filter777 New Member

That sums it up pretty well.[/QUOTE]

Wow jeepejeep!! I guess it does.... lol... Sounds good to me. Thanks !

12. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

The 357 Sig takes bullets in 9mm diameters rather than 357 mag and, that's where the deferences end for me. Other than that I would have to say it is like shooting and handling a semi-auto 357 mag. Even the baby Glocks I have shot in this chambering are manageable, about like shooting a snub nose 357 revolver. In defense loadings I have heard about over penetration in gel although, who is to say that will mean anything in real life. Just my opinion but, you may want to shoot one first to help with your decision.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  13. Riverg420

Riverg420 New Member

I have both and i find i'am more accurate with the .357sig than the .40 .I have a 229 and 239 both with the .357sig barrel and the .40 .Plus the Secret Service carry the 357sig round if it's good enough to protect the President it's good enough for me .

14. filter777

filter777 New Member

not sure i want it to feel as though I'm shooting a 357 mag snubnose. i was looking for more like a tamed 40cal. i could achieve that with reloads, but just thought it would be fun trying out a whole new caliber. one that i don't already own. based on a few comments here, including yours, this will be what my Sig will be chambered as.... thanx

15. filter777

filter777 New Member

thanks... sounds like a definite winner :)

16. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

To me the recoil is much less in the Glock than my Ruger Security Six with a 4" barrel. With 125 gr.loads in the magnum, recoil is more pronounced I think because the Glock sits lower in the hand so recoil is more in line with my palm than with the revolver. It's more controllable and I can get off quicker aimed shots with the Glock.

17. Sport45

Sport45 New Member

But it makes sense to buy a whole new gun to test a round?

18. filter777

filter777 New Member

Of course not. That's why I started this thread. Just trying to get feedback on what others think about the round and I want to be certain its not going to end as a disappointment. Why would I spend $200+ on a barrel when I could use that same $200 as part of the pistol purchase? Regardless, the pistol (especially a Sig P226) would still be an investment.

19. msup752

msup752 New Member

I shot the .357 sig and carried a 229 for years until I replaced it with a Glock. The round is superb and I agree it is a bit of a snap on the wrist with lighter, faster bullets. The penetration and expansion is excellent and the Speer Gold Dots a great choice as they are designed for the higher velocities. I reloaded thousands and thousands of rounds using reformed .40 brass and correct brass. It is cheap to reload, using 9mm components. Using plated bullets, I was pushing 125 gr at 1250fps and FMJ could get to 1400+ out of a Glock barrel. I always used Power Pistol powder although it has a nice flash and puff of smoke.
    I foolishly bought into the "big bore is better" theory a few years ago and traded all my .357sig's in for .45's. It was not a good decision for me. Buying an H&K P7 pushed me to 9mm and I hope to stay there but I wish I had the .357 sigs back!
    I had a P229, Glock and H&K USP in 357 and they were all good guns. I liked the Glock best as it was lighter and more compact.

20. cakesterkiller

cakesterkiller New Member

i bought the conversation barrel for my glock that took it from a .40 to the .357 sig... after 200 rounds i put the .40 barrel back in

the .357 sig is fun and kinda cool but at almost twice the cost of the .40 the .357 (60-70 cents a shot where I live) and the availability of the ammo makes it a gun that I wouldn't just go out and buy one