9mm 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by 1911Jeeper, Sep 25, 2010.

1. 1911Jeeper

1911Jeeper New Member

Does a 9mm 1911 pistol need to have a ramped barrel or will it function just fine without one using ball nose FMJ loads ? I already have a few Kimber and Springer .45 cal 1911's so I am interested in a Rock Island 1911 tactical for lower cost practice with 9mm vs. 45 cal, and as toy. The local gun shop has one, for the price tag, it is well made, has a decent trigger pull, and is pretty tightly fitted.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have a Springer 9mm 1011 and it has the ramped bbl. I really don't see why it wouldn't work well with the frame ramp but I have not tried one to know for sure.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

That was the original configuration when they first started appearing on the market. I have one with the non-ramped barrel and it seems to work okay for me.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I suspect you mean Rock Island vs Rock River (Rock River did make pricey 1911s in the past). I've owned a number of the Rock Island 1911s and there's no reason to believe their 9mm offering will be any less of a gun than the .45 models...

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I agree with RIA's reliability. You defiantly get your monies worth with them.

6. 1911Jeeper

1911Jeeper New Member

Minor brain fade, I meant Rock Island. It looks and feels like a nice pistol, I just wanted to be sure before I pull the trigger on buying it.

I appreciate the comments.

7. Ralphhster

Ralphhster New Member

I have a Kimber Aegis 9mm W/ ramped barrel ----Very expensive and not very reliable, FTFs and FTEs are common----
    I don't believe the ramped barrel has a positive effect ...not to mention that Kimber warranty is elusive,to say the least !
    Rock Island could not possibly be worse, go for it !

8. 1911Jeeper

1911Jeeper New Member

Well, I bought it. I broke it down and looked inside, everything is nicely fitted and there are no obvious machining marks.

The slide and barrel are as tightly fitted as my .45 Kimber and my .45 Springfield Loaded. The trigger has a bit of slack, but is smooth and releases as crisply as the others and has no over-travel. The Parkerizing is a bit thin compared to my GI Springer but someday I might have one of those specialty coating applied.

The slide is marked Rock Island Armory and has their crested design but the lettering is subtle so it is not objectionable. I hate guns with a stupid name or huge letters boldly engraved on the slide. Less is better.

I don't like the original smooth grips and they are a little too bright for me. I bought an inexpensive set of checkered grips and I think it looks better now.

I am off to the range with some assorted ammo for a test drive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  9. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Very nice sir.

And I agree, the grips are a good add.

10. Ralphhster

Ralphhster New Member

Let us know ! I may scrap the Kimber if your range report is as good as the pistol looks !

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

12. Ralphhster

Ralphhster New Member

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010