$99 Mosins

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by nosaj, Mar 21, 2014.

1. JW357

JW357 New Member

Really tempting... I worry the days of $79 Mosins are long gone...

2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

3. nosaj

nosaj New Member

I know...tempting.
    Another can of ammo or new gun.......

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Sort of funny, when the spam can is worth more than the rifle.

I'm also considering if I may want a couple 91/30s in the event

they could be used for a couple of future projects. OTOH, they

could wind up rusting up, in my shed, for the next 25 years.

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I inspected a lot of Mosin nagants before I bought one locally. The odds of getting a rifle that I would be happy with online would be close to 1 in 100. If I need to carry a 2x4 to cycle the action $99 is no bargain.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  6. nosaj

nosaj New Member

Maybe you just need to work out a little...haha

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

for the price they do look like something to look into further.

8. chloeshooter

chloeshooter Active Member

Add shipping and FFL fees and you are looking at $130-145 total

I can get them for $129. + tax locally and get to inspect first. I turn down 2/3 I look at due to bore and stock condition. So good luck hope you get a keeper

9. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I presently have two and have had as many as six at one time. I also had a Remington produced model 1917 Mosin Nagant that I gave to my son.

Mosin Nagant's are available at most gun shows, local gun auctions and LGS's and IMO to buy on-line is not the way to go. Prices average from $125 to $150 in my area.

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I was extremely lucky with my first Mosin. A mint M44 with a

shiny bore(possibly never fired) and all matching serials.

It set the bar very high for my future selections. I never

went hog wild, and only got a couple more, but I would

probably be happier seeing what I was purchasing as it

went out the door.

A few scratches on the stock are one thing, at that price,

but when they are warning you they are seconds, to begin with,

it makes me hesitate.

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

I agree I would rather buy locally. And would definitely rather inspect the firearm before purchasing it.

But this isn't always an option. I won't be buying one right now as I just bought a S&W model 10 so even though these rifles are dirt cheap I need to wait a little while.

But the reason I can see the appeal to these for some people is:

- Some people don't have access to Mosins locally.
    - Some people don't have any Mosins yet.
    - Some people remember being in a LGS in NC three years ago and seeing a crate of them for $79 a piece, and never seeing another Mosin after that for less than $200.

All three of those describe my situation. But like I said, I won't be buying right now.

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The real danger here, for the uninformed consumer, is they

have a higher percentage chance of getting a real POS, as

their first Mosin, which could set the tone for many of their future

Milsurp purchases. If someone is accustomed to getting a rifle with

mismatched serials, a dirty bore, and in generally poor shape, they

may take years, or perhaps never begin collecting the rifles in

better condition.

For those of us who know what we're getting, it isn't such an issue...

13. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Kind of a subjective question here, but after 2 shoulder injuries I am a little recoil sensitive. I have been eyeing the mosins at gun shows lately but am wondering how the recoil compares to a moderate 12 gauge trap load which I can shoot almost all day with no problem.

I know, sorta makes me sound like a wimp, but I have missed 9 months of work in the last 2 years with this shoulder and don't want to miss more. Plus at my age I am not fond of pain from recoil.

14. nosaj

nosaj New Member

I do not notice much difference between my Mosin and a 12ga. You can put a rubber recoil pad that I imagine would help some. An extra layer of clothing like a sweatshirt or jacket would also ease the kick a little.
    (but i kinda like it)

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Recoil is @the same as a 30.06. I have a friend with a weak shoulder.

I would not hand him a Mosin, to shoot.

16. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

IIRC, these are grade B rifles, meaning they have cosmetic issues (scuffs, dings, ect), and most likely Molots. Classic Arms just had a mess of these come up for the same price and advertised as Grade B's. I read some of the customer reviews and some people got some real beauties, hex receivers, ex-dragoons, ect (most didn't even have bad defects, meaning they weren't pristine, but still had slight handling marks). It is a shot in the dark especially as Grade B's. If AIM's shipping wasn't half the cost of the rifle then I'd grab one, I might just wait until Classic puts theirs back on sale for $99.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

17. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I bought 3 when they were $79 at Aim Surplus. One looked unissued, (the nicest I've ever seen) the other two were excellent. I wouldn't even hesitate @ $99. I bought my first one at a LGS that doesn't compare, but it was the nicest one in the store for $99 four years ago. I pay only $10 FFL fees and buying 3 I got a break on shipping. $99 is the new $69 of a couple years ago. Still a bargain in my experience. They won't last. I would advise anyone interested to buy multiples. You can easily get your investment back if you resell them.

18. JWagner

JWagner New Member

The 2x4 to cycle the action may be the result of contamination of the action. There are several Youtube videos on curing the sticky bolt of the Mosin.

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I am real picky when it comes to milsurp rifles. I don't want a rifle unless all the parts have matching serial numbers, the bore is pristine and the muzzle crown is perfect. The action has to cycle smoothly, even with a little cosmoline on it. In other words there is no way I could buy a milsurp rifle online.

I paid $135 for my hex 91/30 when people were buying 91/30's for $99 or less. It was the only rifle I saw after examining cases of rifles that met my requirements. The rifle has turned out to be well worth the extra $35. Really I didn't over pay for that rifle.

Others have mentioned the recoil of the 91/30. I don't notice the recoil at all. The 91/30 weighs over 10lb which soaks up a lot of recoil. I don't shoot off a bench. I realize if one shoots off a bench they are leaning right into the gun which increases perceived recoil. Just standing up shooting the rifle unsupported it has no more recoil than a 20 ga heavy skeet gun. The 7.62x 54R firing a 180 gr bullet from a 10 lb gun generates around 20 lb of recoil. Compared to a 3" 12ga slug that generates 77 lb of recoil with a 6.5 lb gun the 91/30 is a light kicker.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014