922r as it relates to my MISR

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by navysully, Jul 15, 2012.

1. navysully

navysully New Member

Hello all,

I just purchased a Maadi AK-47 at my local gun store yesterday.

I was talking about it on another board and someone mention 922R compliance.

Can someone that has knowledge on this help me out?

As shown, does it look like I am ok?

What if I add a 30 round mag?

Any help or similar experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

You might have better luck asking this in the ak/sks thread. I dont know much, just what a google search will give ya. I know that if you change anything on the gun it cant have more then 10 imported parts when you reassemble it.

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

How many parts have "US" on them?

4. msup752

msup752 New Member

I had to be careful of 922 on my Benelli M4 to put a 7 rd tube on it. I also have a Maadi and it has been changed to be compliant. Imported guns can't have high cap fixed magazines or folding stocks. Add a few US made parts and it is no longer an import.
    I replaced the grips, mag tube, follower, and bolt handle on my M4. I replaced the bolt, gas piston, trigger, and hammer on my Maadi. None of my replacement parts say made in the USA. It would be nice. It is unnecessary.
    I am not an expert on exactly how many parts need to be changed. A quick Internet search should yield what you are looking for as many people have added US made parts.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Why not answer my question in the other thread - or here. I told you which US parts usually are changed for 922r compliance and asked what you had. You must dertermine that, we can't tell from that picture.

Again, I believe there must be six US parts: trigger, hammer, disconector, piston, pistol grip and muzzle device. If you have a welded muzzle nut, you may only need five. As usual, find out for sure, I'm just going from memory.

6. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

The magazine counts as three also, a trigger group swap and some US mags will do the trick.

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Aw man, I mentioned US mags in his other thread but forgot them here! :D Thanks for pointing that out, Sputnik. Yeah get the Tapco trigger group OP, and now you just need 2 or 3 more, depending on your muzzle nut and what you already have. I'd go to the consignment shop and find out. Or break the rifle down and look for US on the parts mentioned.

8. navysully

navysully New Member

Hey guys.

Thanks for the help so far, although I am not afraid I know exactly what I am looking for as of yet, so here are some photos. Any idea if anything here is US made?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

On the muzzle, It looks threaded, but I don't know how to remove it. Any experience with that? Should i have the trigger group and muzzle replaced? I bought 3x 30 round US magazines: https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1246.aspx

Any further help would be greatly appreciated!

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Hmmm, it's hard to tell about that muzzle. I was expecting a welded nut over the threads but that could be a cap screwed on. Probably best to leave it alone until someone who knows the Maadi well chimes in.

US parts should say they're made in the US. I've heard that a US piston doesn't rock back and forth slightly on the bolt carrier while the originals pivot slightly on a pin. Don't know if that applies to the Maadi though.

Do you see Tapco or G2 on the trigger? Anyway, I'm just generalizing so hopefully someone else will be along who knows for sure. Do you know when the rifle was imported? Since there's no slant brake it may have come here during the AWB. Any chance of help from the seller or gun shop?

10. navysully

navysully New Member

Yeah, no real stamps on anything.

AM I illegal if I just throw a 30 round mag in there? :/

If so, what can I do to get legal?

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

It's so hard to say. It's hard to prove what country manufactured the parts. Usually the US parts are stamped US but not always. And maybe your rifle is exempt from 922r if it was imported before the 1989 law. So many things we don't know. And you're not getting any help from the seller or shop you bought it from?

I'm no lawyer but the odds are no one's going to bother you about this. And it's a nice rifle you'd hate to bubba up. But if the gun doubled at the range, who knows who's looking. Maybe the best bet is to use US made magazines to gain 3 US parts. With your muzzle you may only need two more parts or maybe three. If you bought a Tapco trigger, disconnector and hammer you'd have 3 more US parts and be legal whether the muzzle counts or not. You might want to save the originals just in case for collector value. The trigger group is not that hard to install, BTW.

Anyway, below is a link to more info on the subject: the AK is considered to have 16 major parts and no more than 10 can be foreign made which is how we come up with needing 6 US parts if you have a threaded muzzle. If not threaded (or if a muzzle nut is welded on the threads) then it's 5. My AK did have the muzzle nut and I cut through the weld thus exposing the threads. I put on a US made muzzle device and had 5 other US parts so it is legal (even if I use comblock surplus magazines).

http://www.tapco.com/section922r/

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  12. FlukeLSX

FlukeLSX New Member

Navy,

I think the best place to start right now is with information.

I would suggest talking to a major gun dealer online... Such as Century firearms... Atlanticfirearms... Bud's gunshop or whatever that one was called that a lot of people on these forums like.

Give these people a call explain to them the type of rifle you have and you aren't sure it's legal if they could help you decide what's needed to bring it into compliance.

Assuming your gun shop you bought it from doesn't give you the necessary information.

As far as the muzzle, no there is no threading on it I can tell by the pic.

I posted a comment in your other thread about barrel threads.

I believe no maadi comes with a threaded barrel and they have to be specially machined to obtain a barrel thread.

Basically think of your rifle as a pre-ban semi-collector's rifle that you plan to shoot with. It's a good find, and will take a little bit of work to bring it into legal compliance with 922r.

Specifically I couldn't tell you what but others on these forums are far more knowledgable about it than I am and will be able to make recommendations based on that.

The only reason I'm a little familiar with them is because I was going to get one until I read about the legal issues surrounding them. I wouldn't exactly ignore it either. If you shoot at a range and any DNR agent knows what they are doing they will call you out on it.

13. FlukeLSX

FlukeLSX New Member

DNR is quite anal about AK's in particular for some reason

I was told I had to place an empty shell inside the fire chamber holding open the bolt. This was to be done when leaving the weapon unattended so that DNR can confirm it's in a safe position.

I was also told I cannot use a full 30rd magazine

I was only allowed to load 6 rd's at a time in my 30rd magazine.

Side note: Here in michigan some guy got shot in the head by an AK recently. Gun jam'd and the person who owned the gun was trying to un'jam it and it went off.

The gun was not pointed down range - A mistake that got someone killed.

14. navysully

navysully New Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I am going to err on the side of caution and just go ahead and change out 6 parts to make sure I am good. I plan on changing the muzzle break, pistol grip, trigger group, and the new mags count as 3. That should make me good to go. Are all of those good? If not, I can get the piston changed out too. I am going to work with a gun smith here to get this all done (for the trigger and muzzle). Thoughts?

15. navysully

navysully New Member

Even with full 922R compliance am I going to not be allowed to use 30 round mags? Even in VA? How is different than my M4 with 30 rounds???

16. FlukeLSX

FlukeLSX New Member

You can use the Magazine, but may or may not be able to load 30 rds into it.

This is in Michigan for me

I'm not sure how DNR does it in your state of VA.

You can call DNR in your state and ask them what the rules are regarding AK's at the rifle range. They'll explain it I'm sure. Maybe even check their website.

17. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

Millsurpstuff.com has alot of parts too. If you live close to ohio you get it in no time. Hes good at returning e-mails too I think he has a section on 992r parts